By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SNES Games are LIVE on the Nintendo Switch Online Service

I'm about halfway through Super Mario World and close to halfway through Yoshi's Island. Getting some serious slowdown on a few levels in Mario World, can't recall experiencing that before on the SNES or any emulators. Any had a similar problem?

Around the Network
drbunnig said:
I'm about halfway through Super Mario World and close to halfway through Yoshi's Island. Getting some serious slowdown on a few levels in Mario World, can't recall experiencing that before on the SNES or any emulators. Any had a similar problem?

Yoshi's Island has a touch of slowdown as well on a few of the busy levels on world 3 but I'm fairly certain there was a touch of that in the OG game but it's been years since I've played Yoshi's on real hardware and recall it being one that often causes issues with emulation

@Barkley http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9052443 really wondering if there was something else I missed here or were you just in the thread for one post and gone?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
drbunnig said:

Yoshi's Island has a touch of slowdown as well on a few of the busy levels on world 3 but I'm fairly certain there was a touch of that in the OG game but it's been years since I've played Yoshi's on real hardware and recall it being one that often causes issues with emulation

I was referring to Mario World, not Yoshi's Island. Never been bothered by it on Yoshi's Island; as you say, I probably remember it always being there. Perhaps it's always been there on Mario World too, but it seems really apparent on the Switch. The first couple of levels of Forest of Illusion are some good examples. Still really enjoying it though.

drbunnig said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I was referring to Mario World, not Yoshi's Island. Never been bothered by it on Yoshi's Island; as you say, I probably remember it always being there. Perhaps it's always been there on Mario World too, but it seems really apparent on the Switch. The first couple of levels of Forest of Illusion are some good examples. Still really enjoying it though.

Aye, that's why I said "as well" in my post, I only cleared the first world in Mario World so I'll have to see about the stages later on in the game, it's not like the Switch isn't perfectly capable of emulating pretty much everything up to GC with ease considering that has been done on the chinese variant of the shield hardware but still might be Nintendo just getting the kinks outta the emulator they've gone with.

Link to the past chucked up a tiny bit of slowdown in a boss fight for me but it was pretty much identical to the SNES version of the fight where I remember always getting a touch of slowdown there too.

Gotta say though.... I've been playing almost nothing except for these SNES games for the last few days, they really hit it outta the park with some of the titles they've gone with, really worth the 20e for the year sub in these if you ask me, legit... if Yoshi's Island and Link to the Past were put on the eshop as a 2 games for 20e deal I would have bought them so this has me well pleased for the next year lol.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
drbunnig said:

Aye, that's why I said "as well" in my post

Ah, skimmed over that. My apologies. I'll blame it on Monday morning.

Around the Network

Hell yeahh, now THIS is why I paid for this service! (Plus basically to play Smash Online). 

Definitely intend to revisit Yoshi's Island. I sort of cooled to it after initially getting into it as a child (was always far more a DKC fan) - sort of begun to see it more as a chore than a fun game w/the annoying Baby Mario crying and all the collectibles. But in hindsight after replaying it it really is a great game. And it's neat to play it in all its colorful glory on the relatively big handheld screen of Switch.

Also never played much F-Zero so I intend to burn through more of that -  only beat maybe 2 or 3 of the GP cups before.

Definitely want to play some games online with my buddy - we used to play Kirby's Dream Course back in the day so that'd be cool to revisit especially online.

Believe it or not, I never played Super Metroid, so I intend to rectify that. Breath of Fire is an RPG I'd like to try out, heard it was good. 

Beyond that it's mostly waiting for games I WANT to play on it - DKC series, Earthbound, Final Fight, Mario RPG, Uniracers, Sim City, and a ton more that I can't really think of..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Ganoncrotch said:

@Barkley http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9052443 really wondering if there was something else I missed here or were you just in the thread for one post and gone?

Eh I didn't see the need to reply. He only stated height, if when he said maximise he really meant 16:9 it would be weird to only specify the relatively small borders top and bottom instead of the massive black borders left and right. He only stated height, when he said maximise he just meant maximise height.

Man this is awesome. So many people a year ago for some reason thought Nintendo would only have NES games on Switch Online, when it was obvious the subscription model was simply there replacement for the VC model. And I love this model. 20 great SNES games I can play without needing to buy! I am definitely looking forward to playing through Breath of Fire and A Link to the Past.

Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Eh I didn't see the need to reply. He only stated height, if when he said maximise he really meant 16:9 it would be weird to only specify the relatively small borders top and bottom instead of the massive black borders left and right. He only stated height, when he said maximise he just meant maximise height.

I think you've just focused on how he mentioned height and not the parts where he mentions wanting to use more of the screen or the separate sentence of "is there a way to maximise the screen" maximise from a literal definition means to use all of the screen.

I know it sounds strange to some people because stretching out the aspect ratio would distort these 4:3 titles but I also know that some people (myself included) would like the option to use the entire screen.

Or maybe he did mean maximise globally in the USA but it would have been a misuse of the word.

@drbunnig no worries at all, I think my vision is turning 16bit after a week lost in SNES glory :D 

@DarthMetalliCube you never played super metroid? :O then for you the 20e yearly sub cost will be covered just by rectifying that asap, one thing I would say is make sure you play it with sound! The audio of super metroid is so atmospheric in places I think it's a game that would suffer to be played without sound.

drbunnig said:

I'm getting this as well, but only when there's lots of enemies on the screen. The frame rate drops and then after a few seconds it goes back to normal. I didn't test every game, but so far there's only this slowdown in Super Mario World.