By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Switch Experience (Learn More on September 12)

looks like fun

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I feel like Nintendo still has this need to try to recapture the glory days of the Wii and DS, but in today's market where a practically limitless supply of "blue ocean" apps are available for free or for a very low price through the smartphone everyone already owns, I'm not sure it's even possible to catch that lightning in a bottle again, unless it's something on mobile like Pokemon Go.

I think people nowadays are actually much more aware of the difference between something like this and "free" games.  Unlike a few years ago when everyone was insisting that mobile gaming would eventually eat up the whole industry, people now seem to understand the different value propositions.  If there's a good and novel experience, people will be willing to pay for it.  

If it's of comparable quality to Wii Fit, I think people will buy it.  Especially seeing as they may already have a Switch in their home for a kid/boyfriend/girlfriend or what have you.  I'm not predicting it's going to be as big as Wii Fit, but considering the costs it would probably require, it could be a very profitable endeavor even in the 500K to 1 million range.

tsogud said:
Pretty pointless to release this, should've just waited to release an actual trailer on the 12th for whatever we're looking at here.

I think if Nintendo just said "stay tuned for an announcement on September 12th" then people would have been like OMGZ WHAT IS IT!!! I BET IT'S METROID PRIME 4! GENO FOR SMASH?! BOTW 2! 

I think doing it this way lets them get out the message that there's going to be an announcement, but it also sets clear expectations.  And since they did it one day after a great direct with lots of gamer stuff, the "hardcore" gamers will probably be fine with it.

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

I feel like Nintendo still has this need to try to recapture the glory days of the Wii and DS, but in today's market where a practically limitless supply of "blue ocean" apps are available for free or for a very low price through the smartphone everyone already owns, I'm not sure it's even possible to catch that lightning in a bottle again, unless it's something on mobile like Pokemon Go.

I think people nowadays are actually much more aware of the difference between something like this and "free" games.  Unlike a few years ago when everyone was insisting that mobile gaming would eventually eat up the whole industry, people now seem to understand the different value propositions.  If there's a good and novel experience, people will be willing to pay for it.  

If it's of comparable quality to Wii Fit, I think people will buy it.  Especially seeing as they may already have a Switch in their home for a kid/boyfriend/girlfriend or what have you.  I'm not predicting it's going to be as big as Wii Fit, but considering the costs it would probably require, it could be a very profitable endeavor even in the 500K to 1 million range.

A million or so sounds reasonable; don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no longer a market for this kind of thing, just that I can't see it ever again being the killer app type deal it was in the Wii/DS era.

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

A million or so sounds reasonable; don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no longer a market for this kind of thing, just that I can't see it ever again being the killer app type deal it was in the Wii/DS era.

I dunno.  I can't really see that happening, but at the same time I didn't see Nintendogs selling 20 million copies, or Wii Sports being the crazy success it was.  Especially with the way things spread on the internet nowadays it's hard to predict what will take off.  This thing looks like a meme waiting to happen which may be a good thing.

JWeinCom said:

tsogud said:
Pretty pointless to release this, should've just waited to release an actual trailer on the 12th for whatever we're looking at here.

I think if Nintendo just said "stay tuned for an announcement on September 12th" then people would have been like OMGZ WHAT IS IT!!! I BET IT'S METROID PRIME 4! GENO FOR SMASH?! BOTW 2! 

I think doing it this way lets them get out the message that there's going to be an announcement, but it also sets clear expectations.  And since they did it one day after a great direct with lots of gamer stuff, the "hardcore" gamers will probably be fine with it.

Yeah that makes sense or they could've just dropped the actual trailer on the 12th without an announcement. Makes no difference to me, just seems useless to release a teaser of this nature.

Around the Network
tsogud said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah that makes sense or they could've just dropped the actual trailer on the 12th without an announcement. Makes no difference to me, just seems useless to release a teaser of this nature.

I think when you have something this weird, you want people to get all the wtf out of their system before actually showing it.

Labo? Great

This? Bad

Ok, Nintendo fans...

JWeinCom said:
tsogud said:

I think when you have something this weird, you want people to get all the wtf out of their system before actually showing it.

This.

Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii name before E3 of '06.  Super smart idea, too, as fanboys were freaking out about losing the Revolution name and if they had announced it at the actual conference those fanboys wouldn't have been able to relax long enough to enjoy what the Wii would be.  Get all those pee jokes out of your system for a week, and then come in with a fresh open mind.

JWeinCom said:
tsogud said:

That's possible but yeah this looks too weird for me. I don't even know it is and I'm already turned off but we'll see on the 12th.

tsogud said:
JWeinCom said:

That's possible but yeah this looks too weird for me. I don't even know it is and I'm already turned off but we'll see on the 12th.

It's a Pilates Ring meant for exercising with gaming functions via the switch joycons (red one in the hoop, blue one attached to your leg for leg movements.)

Not meant for you and me...but we'll have to see the software to see how it really plays out.