By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just got a Switch, what do I need?

Barkley said:

No need to get a Pro Controller, I mostly just use detached joycons (hate the grip).

If you do want a Pro Controller experience then get an 8BitDo adapter for less than half the price. It'll allow you to use pretty much any controller on the Switch and you probably already own one.

You can use PS3/PS4/XBO/Wii U Pro controllers on the Switch with it and they work exactly as a pro controller would. I'm not sure about the others but the PS4 controller even supports motion controls with it. Though be warned I don't recommend using multiple of these adapters for splitscreen on the Switch at the same time, they seem to interfere with each other. But it's much cheaper and more versatile then just buying a Switch Pro Controller. If you ever game on PC you can use it on that too.

I picked up a really cheap version of this from Amazon a good while ago, taking a check now they've an updated one that works both on wired and bluetooth controllers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kingpo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Converter/dp/B07R6MG7P8/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=nintendo+switch+n100&qid=1567536870&s=gateway&sr=8-13

12sterling for the ability to use almost any controller on Switch is fantastic from PC/ps3/4/xbox360 these work really nicely for the cost.

I will add... I do also have a pro controller and use it almost always while playing docked! Either that or the wireless GC pad that I got for the Switch or else using my Hori Snes GC pads with the GC controller adapter, that thing is great for 2d platformers like Celeste and such.



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Most important things for a new Switch owner are some energy drinks and a couple days off work.



VAMatt said:
Most important things for a new Switch owner are some energy drinks and a couple days off work.

That's the thing though! Who needs energy drinks when you can play the Switch in bed... and who needs time off work... when you can play the Switch @work?

Unless you like... fly a plane or drive a bus, then please don't play the Switch there, anything else is fair game though.



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Also, while it's not an exclusive, Zelda Breath of the Wild is unmissable, unless you already have it on Wii U like me haha.

Regarding the whole "do you need a Pro controller" thing, I personally found I got on perfectly fine with the Joycons. I've had a Switch for nearly two years now and I've never once felt the need to buy a Pro controller. 



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Also, while it's not an exclusive, Zelda Breath of the Wild is unmissable, unless you already have it on Wii U like me haha.

Regarding the whole "do you need a Pro controller" thing, I personally found I got on perfectly fine with the Joycons. I've had a Switch for nearly two years now and I've never once felt the need to buy a Pro controller. 

the awesome thing with the Switch is you can use almost any controller with it if you take a look on Amazon for some adapters, you got the GC adapter, those Xbox/ps3 adaptors as well as the awesome selection of various types of pro controller that Nintendo licensed out from the likes of Hori.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Nintendo-Licensed-Version-Switch/dp/B07FSWM4Z2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hori+joycon&qid=1567563161&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Even in terms of Joycon, this guy has been on the left side of my Switch since the day I got it, it's amazing from Hori (completely no wireless or motion control in this btw) but it's a left joycon with a traditional D-Pad, I have heard some reports recently that it does drain the battery slightly faster than the original Joycon I guess it's possible because this unit doesn't have its own battery in there, it just feeds directly off the Switches power while your playing.

Hori are also releasing a pair of "pro" Joycons at the end of this month which look really nice albeit less portable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=hori+joycon&qid=1567563161&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It's pretty much a case with the Switch if you think "can I use that controller with the console?" chance are you can.



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

Also, while it's not an exclusive, Zelda Breath of the Wild is unmissable, unless you already have it on Wii U like me haha.

Regarding the whole "do you need a Pro controller" thing, I personally found I got on perfectly fine with the Joycons. I've had a Switch for nearly two years now and I've never once felt the need to buy a Pro controller. 

the awesome thing with the Switch is you can use almost any controller with it if you take a look on Amazon for some adapters, you got the GC adapter, those Xbox/ps3 adaptors as well as the awesome selection of various types of pro controller that Nintendo licensed out from the likes of Hori.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Nintendo-Licensed-Version-Switch/dp/B07FSWM4Z2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hori+joycon&qid=1567563161&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Even in terms of Joycon, this guy has been on the left side of my Switch since the day I got it, it's amazing from Hori (completely no wireless or motion control in this btw) but it's a left joycon with a traditional D-Pad, I have heard some reports recently that it does drain the battery slightly faster than the original Joycon I guess it's possible because this unit doesn't have its own battery in there, it just feeds directly off the Switches power while your playing.

Hori are also releasing a pair of "pro" Joycons at the end of this month which look really nice albeit less portable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Split-Pad-Pro-Nintendo/dp/B07T5QKKVP/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=hori+joycon&qid=1567563161&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It's pretty much a case with the Switch if you think "can I use that controller with the console?" chance are you can.

It is cool that there are so many options, but I guess I'm a simple man; the Joycons that came with my Switch have served me well enough so far that I haven't felt any need to seek an alternative.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

the awesome thing with the Switch is you can use almost any controller with it if you take a look on Amazon for some adapters, you got the GC adapter, those Xbox/ps3 adaptors as well as the awesome selection of various types of pro controller that Nintendo licensed out from the likes of Hori.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Nintendo-Licensed-Version-Switch/dp/B07FSWM4Z2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hori+joycon&qid=1567563161&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Even in terms of Joycon, this guy has been on the left side of my Switch since the day I got it, it's amazing from Hori (completely no wireless or motion control in this btw) but it's a left joycon with a traditional D-Pad, I have heard some reports recently that it does drain the battery slightly faster than the original Joycon I guess it's possible because this unit doesn't have its own battery in there, it just feeds directly off the Switches power while your playing.

Hori are also releasing a pair of "pro" Joycons at the end of this month which look really nice albeit less portable