By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just got a Switch, what do I need?

dukerx2 said:
curl-6 said:

Welcome back to VGC and congrats on your new system. :)

I'll add my voice to the sd card choir, and as far as which one to pick, I've had very good experiences with SanDisk Ultra.

As far as games go, what genres/types of experiences are you interested in?

Thank you, its good to see some familiar faces. Games, I guess exclusives are the big one. I play a little of everything so id take any suggestions.

Those San Disk cards are great and Amazon can get one shipped to you in a matter of 2-3 days depending on your location.

You should take a look at some of the free offerings on the Switch, Paladins (overwatch clone), Fortnite, Arena of Valor (League of legends clone), Warframe (Destiny style game) are all free2play and really worth a look on the Switch, if you don't have a SD card though leave off warframe since that's around 17GB to download.

Paladins is fantastic on Switch though, crossplay allowed with the X1 so there's always games up at any time of night.

In terms of things I would recommend for the system I would at least advise you have a US (in alaska for zero sales tax) and EU Eshop accounts, you can put both on the system and buy games in either account and play them on your main account, very few titles have any problems with this and I would only ever consider a region when it comes to buying games which might be online focused in my home region. The reason for the 2 account shops is the eshops getting different games going on sale and for different prices, this last week for example Superbeat Xonic was dropped from 40>26 in EU but in US it was dropped from 40 down to a $1 97% off, helps to shop around.

In terms of how much fun you could get from the free offerings alone...

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Oh, I forgot. Definitely get a screen protector. That son of a bitch is very fragile and prone to scratches if you're not careful.

As for games, there are the usual suspects. The evergreens as they're called, the games that everyone buys the Switch for.
- Breath of the Wild
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Splatoon 2
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

As for the smaller, B-tier titles. The ones I definitely recommend are:
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Bayonetta 1 & 2
- Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
- Super Mario Party, if you have friends and family you can play with.

I also recommend plenty of good 3rd parties and indie titles:
- Sonic Mania
- Final Fantasy VII, IX, X & X-2.
- Shantae: Half Genie Hero & Pirate's Curse
- Crash N Sane Trilogy
- Octopath Traveler.

And those are the games I recommend the most.

ah I see you're in the US that Superbeat Xonic is a great but rock hard rhythm game which is on sale until 5/9/2019 for under a dollar, it has tons of content (2 extra free dlc's as well, does come to about 8gb though) the only issue with the game is it is a direct port from the Vita which has symmetrical sticks/buttons and that really does get a bit confusing as the difficulty goes up, still though if you like hard rhythm games it's marked down from 40dollars to under 1.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

"Just got a Switch, what do I need?"

Depends, if you plan to play more than two or three games, I'd say... A big fat bank account

But joke aside, I'd go with the exclusives like Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey or Metroid Prime 4 whenever that one gets released. Everything else that's multi-platform you'll get way cheaper on other systems. Unless you only have A Switch, in which case my joke should be taken somewhat more seriously.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Depends, if you plan to play more than two or three games, I'd say... A big fat bank account

Not this again. I live on a high lower class/low middle class income and buying Switch games has never been a financial issue for me.

Please stop trying to derail thread after thread with this same rubbish. This is the third one today you've tried to turn into a referendum on Switch software prices.

If you want to discuss it, make your own thread instead of hijacking other people's.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 September 2019

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Not this crap again. I live on a high lower class/low middle class income and buying Switch games has never been a financial issue for me.

Stop derailing thread after thread with this same rubbish.

He asked a question, I gave my answer just like you gave yours. Me telling him what to expect is also on topic. Also even more on topic is the rest of my reply which you conveniently removed. Sorry if you don't like it but there's only one thread where things went a bit off-topic and I agree with you on that and as you can see that other thread is fine now so no need to get passive-aggressive here cause I'm answering the question that is asked according to my opinion.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
curl-6 said:

Not this crap again. I live on a high lower class/low middle class income and buying Switch games has never been a financial issue for me.

Stop derailing thread after thread with this same rubbish.

He asked a question, I gave my answer just like you gave yours. Me telling him what to expect is also on topic. Also even more on topic is the rest of my reply which you conveniently removed. Sorry if you don't like it but there's only one thread where things went a bit off-topic and I agree with you on that and as you can see that other thread is fine now so no need to get passive-aggressive here cause I'm answering the question that is asked according to my opinion.

you wrote "Zelda" what game are you on about? Hyrule warriors? Breath of the Wild? Cadence of Hyrule? Links Awakening HD? you write Metroid Prime 4.... I mean there isn't even a release date for that title, as someone who doesn't have the system how are you basing your suggestions of what to buy on it? The part of your post which Curl cut off adds nothing to the thread outside of "Super Mario Odyssey" which was recommended directly in the post before yours and the rest of your post suggests "don't buy games on the Switch cos games cost money"

Like it was said though your post adds nothing constructive to what the OP of this thread asked.

Ganoncrotch said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

you wrote "Zelda" what game are you on about? Hyrule warriors? Breath of the Wild? Cadence of Hyrule? Links Awakening HD? you write Metroid Prime 4.... I mean there isn't even a release date for that title, as someone who doesn't have the system how are you basing your suggestions of what to buy on it? The part of your post which Curl cut off adds nothing to the thread outside of "Super Mario Odyssey" which was recommended directly in the post before yours and the rest of your post suggests "don't buy games on the Switch cos games cost money"

Like it was said though your post adds nothing constructive to what the OP of this thread asked.

I meant Breath of the Wild, the biggest Zelda on Switch. Though fine, I forgot to say which, if Dukerx2 had asked me which Zelda I mean, I would have explained. So this really feels like you are looking for a fault for the sake of finding fault.

As for Metroid Prime 4, seriously? A game cannot be advised just cause it's not out yet. That game I would really want to get if I decided to get a Switch. Also just cause I don't have the system right now OBVIOUSLY does not mean I don't know the Metroid Prime games as I played those back in the days of the Game Cube and the Wii.

As for Super Mario Odyssey already recommended, well pardon me for not having read all the posts previous to mine. Like you read every post ever written in every thread you ever replied to. I would like to play that game so if someone asks I recommend it whether you like it or not.

I went talking about the price of Nintendo games in that other thread because I sincerely saw it as an issue, but I did not expect you two to take it so personally. So what is it you said about my opinion? That it does not matter just because I don't have that system and I should add don't have it YET. Well same with you pal, your opinion as to what I recommend does not matter either and adds nothing constructive here, unless antagonizing me is considered constructive.

Now please stop derailing this thread with your opinion of my opinion of Nintendo's pricing, it's not the topic here.

A single person can't derail a thread on their own, unless they're spamming by talking to themselves. More often than not, it takes atleast two people going back n forth. Thus if you truely want to avoid thread derails, you mustn't respond to comments that you think will lead to thread derailment Do otherwise and you're just as responsible for it's derailment, like I am right now haha.

Anywho, I'd say a pro controller is highly recommended especially if you're used to other console controllers, but see if you like the joy-cons first. They can suffice but they are simply not as good and reliable. The pro controller isn't perfect either though, the D-pad has input errors when quickly pressing different directions (maybe they fixed), and the sticks on mine sometimes require me to blow on them to work right, but that didn't start until over a 1000 hours of gameplay later.

Lonely_Dolphin said:

Anywho, I'd say a pro controller is highly recommended especially if you're used to other console controllers, but see if you like the joy-cons first. They can suffice but they are simply not as good and reliable. The pro controller isn't perfect either though, the D-pad has input errors when quickly pressing different directions (maybe they fixed), and the sticks on mine sometimes require me to blow on them to work right, but that didn't start until over a 1000 hours of gameplay later.

Oh, on the issue of the pro-controller, can you or anyone that uses it let me know if there is a difference in battery life compared with the joy-cons?

Cause if I decided on getting a Switch, I would have to decide on getting the extra controller or not. And to me, battery life is important.