By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just got a Switch, what do I need?

Octopath traveler and on the 20th, we all need Untitled Goose Game.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Anywho, I'd say a pro controller is highly recommended especially if you're used to other console controllers, but see if you like the joy-cons first. They can suffice but they are simply not as good and reliable. The pro controller isn't perfect either though, the D-pad has input errors when quickly pressing different directions (maybe they fixed), and the sticks on mine sometimes require me to blow on them to work right, but that didn't start until over a 1000 hours of gameplay later.

Oh, on the issue of the pro-controller, can you or anyone that uses it let me know if there is a difference in battery life compared with the joy-cons?

Cause if I decided on getting a Switch, I would have to decide on getting the extra controller or not. And to me, battery life is important.

I almost never use the Joy-cons and I always plug the Pro Controller back in after use, so I can't say from experience, but a quick google search says 20 hours for joy cons, 40 hours for pro.

I was going to say a tv, but hah you don’t actually need one of those

Other than that I’d say a comfy chair and an extra power cord, if you play it handheld at home.

No need to get a Pro Controller, I mostly just use detached joycons (hate the grip).

If you do want a Pro Controller experience then get an 8BitDo adapter for less than half the price. It'll allow you to use pretty much any controller on the Switch and you probably already own one.

You can use PS3/PS4/XBO/Wii U Pro controllers on the Switch with it and they work exactly as a pro controller would. I'm not sure about the others but the PS4 controller even supports motion controls with it. Though be warned I don't recommend using multiple of these adapters for splitscreen on the Switch at the same time, they seem to interfere with each other. But it's much cheaper and more versatile then just buying a Switch Pro Controller. If you ever game on PC you can use it on that too.

Buy the Blaster Master Zero games! Great games! Kamiko too! Celeste!

Around the Network

Mario vs Rabbids is highly overlooked, the game is a true gem. Joy Cons are fine for handheld mode, but are awful for big screen play. I view the Pro Controller as a must.

Astral Chain, I am about 5 hours in, is pretty fricking good.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

PAOerfulone said:

Oh, I forgot. Definitely get a screen protector. That son of a bitch is very fragile and prone to scratches if you're not careful.

As for games, there are the usual suspects. The evergreens as they're called, the games that everyone buys the Switch for.
- Breath of the Wild
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Splatoon 2
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

As for the smaller, B-tier titles. The ones I definitely recommend are:
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Bayonetta 1 & 2
- Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
- Super Mario Party, if you have friends and family you can play with.

I also recommend plenty of good 3rd parties and indie titles:
- Sonic Mania
- Final Fantasy VII, IX, X & X-2.
- Shantae: Half Genie Hero & Pirate's Curse
- Crash N Sane Trilogy
- Octopath Traveler.

And those are the games I recommend the most.

What brand of screen protector do you use? I see there is a few and with my Vita I had to buy a few before I found a decent one.

What do you need???

A fat ass wallet, that's what.  =p

next up would be a screen protector and a case, a good sized sd card and a pro controller.

than...games, games, games, games and more games

Last edited by Kwaidd - on 03 September 2019

Barkley said:

No need to get a Pro Controller, I mostly just use detached joycons (hate the grip).

If you do want a Pro Controller experience then get an 8BitDo adapter for less than half the price. It'll allow you to use pretty much any controller on the Switch and you probably already own one.

You can use PS3/PS4/XBO/Wii U Pro controllers on the Switch with it and they work exactly as a pro controller would. I'm not sure about the others but the PS4 controller even supports motion controls with it. Though be warned I don't recommend using multiple of these adapters for splitscreen on the Switch at the same time, they seem to interfere with each other. But it's much cheaper and more versatile then just buying a Switch Pro Controller. If you ever game on PC you can use it on that too.

I picked up a really cheap version of this from Amazon a good while ago, taking a check now they've an updated one that works both on wired and bluetooth controllers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kingpo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Converter/dp/B07R6MG7P8/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=nintendo+switch+n100&qid=1567536870&s=gateway&sr=8-13

12sterling for the ability to use almost any controller on Switch is fantastic from PC/ps3/4/xbox360 these work really nicely for the cost.

I will add... I do also have a pro controller and use it almost always while playing docked! Either that or the wireless GC pad that I got for the Switch or else using my Hori Snes GC pads with the GC controller adapter, that thing is great for 2d platformers like Celeste and such.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive