Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should next gen systems be fully Backwards Compatible from Day 1 to encourage people to upgrade?

I think there will be if not 100% complete, widespread BW compatibility... But I don't the OP's premise holds up,
that this encourages people to buy early... which would logically mean increased sales, yet AFAIK platforms without
BW compatibility have had no problem reaching record-breaking sales, I just don't think that is real factor in sales.

Around the Network

I honestly don't care about BC. I don't have the time to play all of the games that i want from this gen, so i rarely will have time to go back and revisit games from previous systems.

I don't sell old consoles so I don't really care about BC at all. Have a PSX, 2 PS2s, 2 PS3s, 2 PS4s. Same for an OG XBox and a XBONE, and a few others. BC was a bit of a deal for me back when the PS3 came out but that's gone and done. If a console has BC it's a nice goody, otherwise I don't care for it. I collect.

The rumor mill is suggesting that the PS5 will be compatible back through the PS1. It's a selling point,but for most the feature would be underused. Those that really want to play PS1/2/3 games right now will find that the consoles are cheap and sharp video solutions readily available:

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

StuOhQ said:

The rumor mill is suggesting that the PS5 will be compatible back through the PS1. It's a selling point,but for most the feature would be underused. Those that really want to play PS1/2/3 games right now will find that the consoles are cheap and sharp video solutions readily available:

Where? And whats a rumor mill? I cant find anything atm.

Sony already confirmed (twice) PS5 will be bc to PS4. Thats it. Why would they hold back information when the main part of the BC feature has already been revealed?

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

I keep my old consoles anyway, so it doesn't make a big difference for me. Unless there's some reason I don't want to plug in my old system, or maybe it's malfunctioning in some way.
But I probably never will buy a console Day 1 any more. Last time I did that was PS2.

Ganoncrotch said:
Bristow9091 said:
Are you saying next gen needs to be backwards compatible for you to buy a console day one? Because I'm pretty (very) sure both the PS5 and ...whatever the next XBOX is called, will both have full backwards comparability with this gen.

How about the PS4, do you think it will be completely compatible with PS4's PSVR? The move from the PS3 which is used with the PSVR, or even things like the controller from the PS4 when you need to use the motion control and the little mouse touchpad thing on it? I think games which rely on specific hardware... Skylanders and Starlink both come to mind again where they have a thing which needs to connect to the PS4 in order to play. I can't see both systems being able to give 100% backwards compatibility.

Things that required the touchpad or motion controls would not work if those features are excluded from the Dualshock 5.
I expect there to be a PSVR2 though, or the ability to plug in the original PSVR. It hasn't reached amazing numbers, but it is still the best selling VR headset on the market, so they should continue.

I just wished that backwards compatibility would be a standard feature, and not something that needed speculation.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

BC is a huge seller for me. I only have so much room for consoles. Not only does the hardware take up space, but that is an HDMI input and a power input. Add in extra controllers... yeah, being BC is a massive get, especially if the controllers are BC.

Essentially being able to use my ps4 controller and upgraded HDD, makes the ps5 $160 cheaper...  does that matter?  Absolutely.  

And for the sake of argument, perhaps I can sell my ps4 for $150...  add that to the $160 savings, and now I am saving $310.  In my book, that is a massive selling point.  

Biggest seller for me by far. I always highly value being able to play any game from any year I want on my PC, just as much as I would on console.

BC would be nice, especially for Nintendo's follow-up to the Switch. The Game Boy, DS, and 3DS lines were always backward compatible to the previous generation, with the GBA being backward compatible all the way back to original GB. Switch had to start fresh because its hardware was radically different from the 3DS.