By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 27 July 2019

Barkley said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Total domination for a console in its 6th year. A 6 year old nintendo system had never and will never sell as well as the ps4 in its 6th year

6th year sales (from time on market, not 6th calendar year.)

DS - 20.62m
PS2 - 16.22m
360 - 13.81m
PS3 - 12.15m
PS1 - 9.31m
PSP - 9.24m
3DS - 7.48m
Wii - 4.41m
Vita - 0.74m
WiiU - 0m

So yeah as has always been pointed out the DS wins, but then for the second best we go all the way down to 7.48m for the 3DS. DS really was very different in terms of it's sales curve compared to other Nintendo Consoles.

Here's a table showing how many of a systems total sales came from it's first 4 years on market:

First 4 Years
WiiU 99.10%
Wii 83.20%
Vita 81.10%
3DS 68.00%
DS 60.40%
PSP 57.40%
PS1 53.20%
PS3 53.20%
PS2 46.00%
X360 43.40%

So Nintendo consoles are definitely much more front loaded than others, with DS being the one with the longest sales curve. So for the most part Nintendo consoles sell fast for a shorter time, while PS/MS systems last longer.

Yeah i thought all nintendo consoles were front loaded and thats why i didnt think any nintendo console would sell 15m in its 6th year. The original ds was big ugly so that helped. 

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
peachbuggy said:

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

Careful with such declarations. They tend to backfire quite a bit.

Who knows, maybe the Switch or one of the next gen consoles will already manage that feat. I wouldn't rule it out so quickly just yet. Sure, it won't be anywhere near easy, but certainly not impossible.

Pinkie_pie said:
peachbuggy said:

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

Never say never but I agree it is a possibility.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Barkley said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Total domination for a console in its 6th year. A 6 year old nintendo system had never and will never sell as well as the ps4 in its 6th year

DS - 20.62m
PS2 - 16.22m
360 - 13.81m
PS3 - 12.15m
PS1 - 9.31m
PSP - 9.24m
3DS - 7.48m
Wii - 4.41m
Vita - 0.74m
WiiU - 0m

So yeah as has always been pointed out the DS wins, but then for the second best we go all the way down to 7.48m for the 3DS. DS really was very different in terms of it's sales curve compared to other Nintendo Consoles.

Here's a table showing how many of a systems total sales came from it's first 4 years on market:

First 4 Years
WiiU 99.10%
Wii 83.20%
Vita 81.10%
3DS 68.00%
DS 60.40%
PSP 57.40%
PS1 53.20%
PS3 53.20%
PS2 46.00%
X360 43.40%

So Nintendo consoles are definitely much more front loaded than others, with DS being the one with the longest sales curve. So for the most part Nintendo consoles sell fast for a shorter time, while PS/MS systems last longer.

zorg1000 said:

Gameboy released in April 1989 and shipped over 36 million from April 1999-March 2001. That's ~18 million/year a decade after launch.

Personally I don't count GBC sales towards the original Gameboy, it's a system with 480 exclusive retail games, and it came out 9 years after the original. I find it weird to not view it as a successor but I know most people don't.

I mean it's sales curve clearly show it's not normal.

Also Gameboy is classed as 4th generation and GBC as 5th generation so it's weird to view them as the same. I think the main reason is just because Nintendo grouped the sales.

They probably grouped the Gameboys because they could play each other's games. Sure the GBC had better capabilities, but by that logic, Pro, X and New 3DS would also need to be counted separately.

As for the fourth and sixth year sales, any idea how the NES, SNES and Megadrive/Genesis would fit in these tables?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Barkley said:

DS - 20.62m
PS2 - 16.22m
360 - 13.81m
PS3 - 12.15m
PS1 - 9.31m
PSP - 9.24m
3DS - 7.48m
Wii - 4.41m
Vita - 0.74m
WiiU - 0m

First 4 Years
WiiU 99.10%
Wii 83.20%
Vita 81.10%
3DS 68.00%
DS 60.40%
PSP 57.40%
PS1 53.20%
PS3 53.20%
PS2 46.00%
X360 43.40%

Personally I don't count GBC sales towards the original Gameboy, it's a system with 480 exclusive retail games, and it came out 9 years after the original. I find it weird to not view it as a successor but I know most people don't.

Also Gameboy is classed as 4th generation and GBC as 5th generation so it's weird to view them as the same. I think the main reason is just because Nintendo grouped the sales.

They probably grouped the Gameboys because they could play each other's games. Sure the GBC had better capabilities, but by that logic, Pro, X and New 3DS would also need to be counted separately.

As for the fourth and sixth year sales, any idea how the NES, SNES and Megadrive/Genesis would fit in these tables?

But my reason wasn't that it was more capable. My reason was that it had 480 exclusive full retail games. Which neither the Pro, X or New 3DS have. It also released 9 years after the original gameboy, not 3.

Of the 667 games released for GB/GBC after the GBC came out only 28% of them worked on the original gameboy. (17 GB games, 180 Compatible GBC games) So 72% of games only worked on the newer model.

I don't think I'd be able to find sales data (other than lifetime) for consoles that old.

Edit: Found Megadrive figures.

Genesis 6th year - 5.12m (1994 calendar year sales, 6th-ish year in Japan, 5th in NA, 4th in EU)

First 4 years - 42.8% of total sales. The later launches in USA and EU give it a much lower percentage, especially as sales in Japan were weak.

Last edited by Barkley - on 14 August 2019

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Barkley said:

DS - 20.62m
PS2 - 16.22m
360 - 13.81m
PS3 - 12.15m
PS1 - 9.31m
PSP - 9.24m
3DS - 7.48m
Wii - 4.41m
Vita - 0.74m
WiiU - 0m

First 4 Years
WiiU 99.10%
Wii 83.20%
Vita 81.10%
3DS 68.00%
DS 60.40%
PSP 57.40%
PS1 53.20%
PS3 53.20%
PS2 46.00%
X360 43.40%

Name me a ps4 game that only works on the pro? Or xbox one game that only works on the x? There are hundreds of games that only for the gameboy colour. Ps2 can also play ps1 games so should that be grouped together with the ps1?

Barkley said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

But my reason wasn't that it was more capable. My reason was that it had 480 exclusive full retail games. Which neither the Pro, X or New 3DS have. It also released 9 years after the original gameboy, not 3.

Of the 667 games released for GB/GBC after the GBC came out only 28% of them worked on the original gameboy. (17 GB games, 180 Compatible GBC games) So 72% of games only worked on the newer model.

I don't think I'd be able to find sales data (other than lifetime) for consoles that old.

Edit: Found Megadrive figures.

Genesis 6th year - 5.12m (1994 calendar year sales, 6th-ish year in Japan, 5th in NA, 4th in EU)

First 4 years - 42.8% of total sales. The later launches in USA and EU give it a much lower percentage, especially as sales in Japan were weak.

Thanks for the effort!

I thought many more games for the GBC were compatible with the OG gameboy. Still, the new 3DS also has exclusive games, although those are very few and far between. But I get your point.

Pinkie_pie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Name me a ps4 game that only works on the pro? Or xbox one game that only works on the x? There are hundreds of games that only for the gameboy colour. Ps2 can also play ps1 games so should that be grouped together with the ps1?

Like I said in my previous post, I thought there were much more games that were playable on both the OG gameboy and the GBC.

You Playstation example is flawed. While not all GBC games ran on the OG model, almost a third of them did according to Barkley. Tell me one PS2 game that ran on a PSOne.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Like I said in my previous post, I thought there were much more games that were playable on both the OG gameboy and the GBC.

You Playstation example is flawed. While not all GBC games ran on the OG model, almost a third of them did according to Barkley. Tell me one PS2 game that ran on a PSOne.

Gameboy colour had hundreds of exclusive games and can also play all Gameboy games. Its the same with ps2. So if you really think Gameboy and Gameboy colour should be grouped together so should the ps1 and ps2. And your logic of pro and x should be counted separately is flawed because unlike the Gameboy colour they dont have exclusive games 

Pinkie_pie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Gameboy colour had hundreds of exclusive games and can also play all Gameboy games. Its the same with ps2.

No because some GBC games were playable on GB, no PS2 games are playable on PS1. GBC has 660 games, 480 of them not playable on GB. PS2 has 4490 games, 4490 of them not playable on PS1.

I count the GBC as a successor, but it's not the same thing as PS1/PS2. It's a situation that has never been repeated.