By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Everybody is doing a mini console except Microsoft

Does the mini lineup of mini consoles need an xbox mini?

Yes 7 17.50%

No 33 82.50%

Total:40
d21lewis said:

I may be wrong but every mini console has been 4th gen gaming or earlier. PS1 was fifth gen and those games look horrible now. Never should have been released as a mini.

A huge driver for these mini consoles is the nostalgia that goes along with the value. With the original Xbox, I just don't think enough people have that nostalgia factor for it to be a success.

My response is late but I'm gonna do it anyway.

The PS1 mini simply had to be a good collection of games that were emulated. While it did include some notable titles, it was an odd collection missing what are considered crucial titles. But more importantly, the emulation was bad, they used slower PAL version, so it wasn't even a good way to revisit these games.

I don't think people really mind the dated visuals of early 3D graphics per se. Some look better than others. However, given its emulation there is an option to increase the resolution, blur textures, etc. The PS1 mini used shitty specs though, it had even bigger frame dips than native hardware. It was just a shitty device.

I don't know if OG Xbox has great nostalgia. But if they put together a strong collection of games and it emulated well, I think people would buy it for its own merits. The X1 is already a great emulator for playing OG Xbox games, they would simply need to bring that tech to a cheaper device TV device.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

The only MS game I miss is Halo. A well priced Mini Xbox that played Halo 1, I would consider a purchase. Maybe.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Mr Puggsly said:
d21lewis said:

I may be wrong but every mini console has been 4th gen gaming or earlier. PS1 was fifth gen and those games look horrible now. Never should have been released as a mini.

A huge driver for these mini consoles is the nostalgia that goes along with the value. With the original Xbox, I just don't think enough people have that nostalgia factor for it to be a success.

The PS1 mini simply had to be a good collection of games that were emulated. While it did include some notable titles, it was an odd collection missing what are considered crucial titles. But more importantly, the emulation was bad, they used slower PAL version, so it wasn't even a good way to revisit these games.

I don't think people really mind the dated visuals of early 3D graphics per se. Some look better than others. However, given its emulation there is an option to increase the resolution, blur textures, etc. The PS1 mini used shitty specs though, it had even bigger frame dips than native hardware. It was just a shitty device.

I don't know if OG Xbox has great nostalgia. But if they put together a strong collection of games and it emulated well, I think people would buy it for its own merits. The X1 is already a great emulator for playing OG Xbox games, they would simply need to bring that tech to a cheaper device TV device.

With sales in the mid 20millions, I just don't know. Maybe if they tossed in a lot of the best multi-plats of the generation (Though I didn't own one, I did look at many First Party offerings with envy) ... But I bought a ton of original Xbox games for the Xbox 360 and a handful for the Xbox One and they just don't do it for me. Cutting edge at the time and some still look great, especially some of the fighting, FPS, and driving games. They were still figuring out camera controls and what to do with the right analog stick well into the 6th gen. It could work if they pull it off right...but they'd have to do a lot of things right.

dx11332sega said:

We've got Sega,Nintendo,Sony,Turbografx-16,Neogeo etc? If theres one mini I'd like It's an xbox 360 mini japanese version with the japanese shmup exclusives and other japanese only games not released in north america. 

Hundreds MS engineers have been hammering XBoxes into small moulds for months, but they didn't manage to produce an XB Mini yet.    

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Yes. But it would be pricey. An OG Xbox mini would have to have at least 250-500gb hard drive in order to get a decent list of games. The hardware would have to be quite a bit more advanced than the PS1 mini thus I can see this thing retailing for 200-250 dollars.

A good list would be:
Halo 1&2,
KOTOR 1&2
Jade Empire,
Ninja Gaiden
Dead or Alive 3
DOA Volleyball,
Forza 1,
Morrowind,
Chronicles of Riddick,
Doom 3,
Fable,
Night Fire,
Panzer Dragoon Orta,
Shenmue 2,
Half Life 2.
Baldurs Gate,
Psychonauts,
Oddworld.

The list is problematic because the Halos can be played in different remastered versions that are superior in current Consoles. However I think some of the less popular titles in a list like mine's would attract a few hardcore buys. I am all for it, the Xbox was the power House of that generation.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
Yes. But it would be pricey. An OG Xbox mini would have to have at least 250-500gb hard drive in order to get a decent list of games. The hardware would have to be quite a bit more advanced than the PS1 mini thus I can see this thing retailing for 200-250 dollars.

A good list would be:
Halo 1&2,
KOTOR 1&2
Jade Empire,
Ninja Gaiden
Dead or Alive 3
DOA Volleyball,
Forza 1,
Morrowind,
Chronicles of Riddick,
Doom 3,
Fable,
Night Fire,
Panzer Dragoon Orta,
Shenmue 2,
Half Life 2.
Baldurs Gate,
Psychonauts,
Oddworld.

The list is problematic because the Halos can be played in different remastered versions that are superior in current Consoles. However I think some of the less popular titles in a list like mine's would attract a few hardcore buys. I am all for it, the Xbox was the power House of that generation.

With that price you might as well add WiFi and allow multiplayer lol.  It'd be nice to play phantasy star online but the og servers were taken down I believe in middle of 360 era.  Yea the games are there but the power and space will make this too expensive. 

sethnintendo said:
SammyGiireal said:

A good list would be:
Halo 1&2,
KOTOR 1&2
Jade Empire,
Ninja Gaiden
Dead or Alive 3
DOA Volleyball,
Forza 1,
Morrowind,
Chronicles of Riddick,
Doom 3,
Fable,
Night Fire,
Panzer Dragoon Orta,
Shenmue 2,
Half Life 2.
Baldurs Gate,
Psychonauts,
Oddworld.

With that price you might as well add WiFi and allow multiplayer lol.  It'd be nice to play phantasy star online but the og servers were taken down I believe in middle of 360 era.  Yea the games are there but the power and space will make this too expensive. 

That's what I am saying. The pricing would be a huge hurdle to overcome. Most of those games are considered fairly modern, so the nostalgic factor that might drive people to buy a Nintendo 64 mini, or Saturn mini wouldn't be there, at least yet. Perhaps a decade from now, by then the costs of such hardware would be lower too I suppose.

It's not cost-effective yet.
All the mini consoles have been Gen 5 and earlier. Xbox didn't enter until the sixth gen. Even 10 games on an Xbox Mini will at least rack up an $80 price tag. Probably higher than that.
Maybe once other mini consoles have come out and maybe after Nintendo 64 Classic, an Xbox Mini might make sense. I could see them including it with a Duke as well, or having the Duke as an optional accessory.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

d21lewis said:
Mr Puggsly said:

With sales in the mid 20millions, I just don't know. Maybe if they tossed in a lot of the best multi-plats of the generation (Though I didn't own one, I did look at many First Party offerings with envy) ... But I bought a ton of original Xbox games for the Xbox 360 and a handful for the Xbox One and they just don't do it for me. Cutting edge at the time and some still look great, especially some of the fighting, FPS, and driving games. They were still figuring out camera controls and what to do with the right analog stick well into the 6th gen. It could work if they pull it off right...but they'd have to do a lot of things right.

Sega Genesis didn't sell amazing numbers but it has had many different mini consoles and even portable versions. There have also been many Genesis compilations on consoles starting with the 6th gen.

OG Xbox definitely has more than 30 games that have aged well. By the 6th gen the dual stick was mostly figured out, especially in shooters. Might be difficult to license many notable games though, it seems like Sony struggled with their device.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Well I was never too fond of the original Xbox anyway, and already own a 360 + XB One.

After the SNES (which I own), the minis I MOST want to see are - N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PS2 (was never huge on Sony consoles but you can't deny the robust, diverse library of the thing & it's certainly my favorite Sony console).

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden