By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Everybody is doing a mini console except Microsoft

Does the mini lineup of mini consoles need an xbox mini?

Yes 7 17.50%

No 33 82.50%

Total:40
Mr Puggsly said:

OG Xbox definitely has more than 30 games that have aged well. By the 6th gen the dual stick was mostly figured out, especially in shooters. Might be difficult to license many notable games though, it seems like Sony struggled with their device.

But they aged sooooooo much better on Xbox One, Xbox One X or PC. "Das Bessere ist des Guten Feind" (The better is the enemy of the  good).

While playing these classics on an Xbox mini, I would probably ask myself every minute: "Why am I playing this game in 480i / 480p instead of playing it in 1080p or 4K on a better suited device?"

Especially if there are further enhancements than a higher resolution like in Halo 1 + 2 Anniversary and Fable Anniversary.

On the one hand we have a hypothetical "Xbox mini" for ~ $60 - $80 with 20 - 30 low-res Xbox-original games.

On the other hand we have used Xbox One (S) consoles for less than $100 (or a new one for less than $150) and $1 - $5 GamePass subscriptions, which allow to play 30 RARE classics (RARE Replay is included in the GamePass), Ninja Gaiden Black, Star Wars: KotOR, Fable Anniversary (plus Fable 2 + 3), Halo 1 + 2 Anniversary (plus Halo 3, 4, 5, Reach, ODST) and Fuzion Frenzy, gives access to over 50 other Xbox 360 games and over 100 other Xbox One games and compatibility to over 40 Xbox originals, hundreds of Xbox 360 games and thousands of Xbox One games.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward_compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

Maybe it is just me, but I find the second option much more valuable, even with a focus on the older Xbox games (original Xbox + Xbox 360 classics).

P.S.: I bought "Conker Live & Reloaded" today. Not only higher resolution and better textures (due to better level of detail settings?), but also locked 30 fps on Xbox One (S + X) instead of the 20 - 30 fps on the original Xbox:

View on YouTube

Last edited by Conina - on 15 September 2019

Around the Network
Conina said:
Mr Puggsly said:

OG Xbox definitely has more than 30 games that have aged well. By the 6th gen the dual stick was mostly figured out, especially in shooters. Might be difficult to license many notable games though, it seems like Sony struggled with their device.

But they aged sooooooo much better on Xbox One, Xbox One X or PC. "Das Bessere ist des Guten Feind" (The better is the enemy of the  good).

While playing these classics on an Xbox mini, I would probably ask myself every minute: "Why am I playing this game in 480i / 480p instead of playing it in 1080p or 4K on a better suited device?"

Ideally, an OG Xbox mini console would basically be X1's BC. Theoretically they could move that software to a cheaper hardware.

Maybe MS could just produce something a stripped down X1. Essentially the APU, RAM and flash storage for the games. Unless they can find a cheaper specs to get similar results as X1's BC. Maybe a Ryzen APU that could do higher resolutions, lets go crazy!

It would be more expensive than other devices but the games are more modern and HD. I would not suggest hardware that can only emulate at their native resolutions, that would be trash. I think X1 plays OG Xbox games at 960p, it varies.

If the collection of games is strong I would argue that's worth $150.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)