By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do your Joycon drift?

Yes 51 63.75%

No 29 36.25%

Total:80

BTW does anyone know what are the chances of the Switch Lite having this drift issue?

Around the Network

Ok...I almost want to make a thread, but I'll leave it here for now:

Who has drift in their Pro Controller here?

jason1637 said:
BTW does anyone know what are the chances of the Switch Lite having this drift issue?

I haven't heard anything from Nintendo addressing this issue, nor anything that would suggest the Lite has changes to the control sticks, so until I see proof otherwise that the issue has been fixed, I'm assuming the chances are 100%. I wouldn't chance it if I were you. Taking apart a controller isn't a big deal. Taking apart a console is harder, and Nintendo's policy on console repairs are that they never repair for free if you tampered with it, or at least such has been my experience, so if you mess it up, it'll cost you to send in to Nintendo for repair.

I have had it happen to both my right and left Joycon within the past few months. Never happened before then however, and for me recalibrating fixed the issue in both cases.

It definitely seems like more of a wide spread case and hopefully they not only fix the issue for Joycons noving forward, but also have already resolved this for the Lite.

That being said, this kind of thing happens to ALL controllers so I find it funny how quick people are to single out Nintendo.  One of my X1 controllers just had the same issue not that long ago, but it could not be fixed by recalibrating and I had to replace it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

I have had it happen to both my right and left Joycon within the past few months. Never happened before then however, and for me recalibrating fixed the issue in both cases.

It definitely seems like more of a wide spread case and hopefully they not only fix the issue for Joycons noving forward, but also have already resolved this for the Lite.

That being said, this kind of thing happens to ALL controllers so I find it funny how quick people are to single out Nintendo.  One of my X1 controllers just had the same issue not that long ago, but it could not be fixed by recalibrating and I had to replace it.

I've owned every Nintendo console except the Virtual Boy. I've never had a problem with a controller from normal wear and tear before with them. I've never seen this on a Sony console either, though I don't own a PS4. Can't say much about Microsoft consoles, as I lived with a guy with a 360 back in college and never had issues with his controllers but that's about it for my Microsoft experience. I'm not saying it's a Nintendo problem, I'm saying it's a control stick problem unique to the Switch. I've never seen anything like it. Any other controller I've had or a friend has had that had this problem could be fixed by turning the console off and on again or otherwise recalibrating the controller. All my controllers that I didn't personally break in frustration work, all the way back to the NES.

And while I'm sure your XBO controller did indeed have a similar issue, and I'm sure the occasional controller for other consoles have too, the fact of the matter is that this is a wide scale thing for the Switch, on par with the RROD for the 360, but less devastating. Nintendo really should address it. I love them, but they're being cowards here. I should not have to fix my own controller from normal wear and tear just 6 months into using it. That's a decade plus kind of problem, not something that most people should run into within the normal lifespan of a console.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Jumpin said:

Rather than replacing analog sticks or entire joycons, have you tried just cleaning the analog stick with some alcohol and a cotton swab?

It takes about 5-10 minutes.

What some of you guys are doing is akin to replacing your toaster because there are crumbs in it.

Tried it earlier today and the drift got better. I'll be doing it again to see if it stops fully.

Similar experience here. I tried it and the issue got better, then the next day I cleaned it far more thoroughly, and it was only then that it went away completely (might have been my third attempt, it was months ago now). I was using plain cheap swabs, it might be better with the pricier ones that are wrapped more tightly and with a point.

I'll also note that the drift I had was quite severe, like every 30 seconds to 2 minutes my Joycon would do everything from drift to completely freak out (on menus) until I tapped it. 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

super_etecoon said:

Nope, got a Pro Controller not too long after the Switch and use it for hundreds of hours of Paladins and Rocket League when playing on my big ass home cinema, works a charm.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

super_etecoon said:

Not me, though I primarily use the joycons to play so I haven't put a lot of hours into the pro controller. My best guess is that I put about 30 hours on the pro controller.

HylianSwordsman said:
Shiken said:

I've owned every Nintendo console except the Virtual Boy. I've never had a problem with a controller from normal wear and tear before with them. I've never seen this on a Sony console either, though I don't own a PS4. Can't say much about Microsoft consoles, as I lived with a guy with a 360 back in college and never had issues with his controllers but that's about it for my Microsoft experience. I'm not saying it's a Nintendo problem, I'm saying it's a control stick problem unique to the Switch. I've never seen anything like it. Any other controller I've had or a friend has had that had this problem could be fixed by turning the console off and on again or otherwise recalibrating the controller. All my controllers that I didn't personally break in frustration work, all the way back to the NES.

And while I'm sure your XBO controller did indeed have a similar issue, and I'm sure the occasional controller for other consoles have too, the fact of the matter is that this is a wide scale thing for the Switch, on par with the RROD for the 360, but less devastating. Nintendo really should address it. I love them, but they're being cowards here. I should not have to fix my own controller from normal wear and tear just 6 months into using it. That's a decade plus kind of problem, not something that most people should run into within the normal lifespan of a console.

I have had several N64 controllers have their sticks loosen with dead zones, as well as Game Cube controllers.  From what I understand, this was a common issue then too.  My 360 controllers developed drift issues and my X1 controller was unusable due to drift developing overtime.  I had no problems with Playstation controllers however as far as the sticks go dating back to the PS1, but my PS3 controllers no longer hold a charge.

Just because you have not had any problems does not mean that the issue does not exist for others regarsing other consoles.  I for example have NEVER experienced a hardware failure from MS, Nintendo, or Sega.  Does that mean that because my 360 did not get RRoD, it must be a low failure rate?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Jumpin said:
tsogud said:

Agreed. If anybody's experiencing this issue, they should start with the easiest solution first. Sometimes it is just dirt. But the manufacturing flaw is still present so that's why you should look into replacing it if cleaning it doesn't work.

For me it DID take some time cleaning it, I had to be fairly thorough: not just 20-30 seconds, but about 5-10 minutes. But I have had no issues since.

There is definitely some kind of flaw, the sticks shouldn't behave this way from dirt. The point I am trying to make is that it's easily fixable for about the equivalent of 0.05 USD.

I wouldn't consider 5-10 minutes anything excessive, anyways. That still seems "very quick" in my opinion.

I need to try it with my messed up one. I have two other joycon sets though, haven't been heavily motivated.

SW-5120-1900-6153