By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do your Joycon drift?

Yes 51 63.75%

No 29 36.25%

Total:80

I have 3 sets. Neon Blue/Neon Red, Grey, and Neon Green/Neon Pink. The Blue and Grey ones would drift, so that's why I went and bought the Green/Pink ones and I've been using those since then, because those ones work great.

Around the Network

I played SM Odyssey with my left joystick drifting. Somehow it was entertaining because it was more challenging.

Does anybody who has done the dust cleaning procedure have a preferred method? I've seen many different guides detailing different specific ways of removing the dust once you've gotten into it but it's difficult to tell what is best.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
Does anybody who has done the dust cleaning procedure have a preferred method? I've seen many different guides detailing different specific ways of removing the dust once you've gotten into it but it's difficult to tell what is best.

The method I used was to prop up the little baffle underneath the top of the joystick with tweezers or a paper clip.  Get some electronic cleaner with one of those tiny red straws and blow one quick little burst (and I do mean little) into the area.  Now rotate the joystick for 60 seconds, making very sure not to push any buttons.  You don't want any power running through the joycon at all while you are doing this.  After you finish rotating the joystick don't touch the joycon for at least an hour so the cleaner can dry/evaporate.  

This worked for me on two left joycons.  I wish I had tried earlier because they were drifting for quite a while.  I had even had sent back a pair to Nintendo and they came back with the same problem.  

Shiken said:

I have had several N64 controllers have their sticks loosen with dead zones, as well as Game Cube controllers.  From what I understand, this was a common issue then too.  My 360 controllers developed drift issues and my X1 controller was unusable due to drift developing overtime.  I had no problems with Playstation controllers however as far as the sticks go dating back to the PS1, but my PS3 controllers no longer hold a charge.

Just because you have not had any problems does not mean that the issue does not exist for others regarsing other consoles.  I for example have NEVER experienced a hardware failure from MS, Nintendo, or Sega.  Does that mean that because my 360 did not get RRoD, it must be a low failure rate?

So you're going to argue with me over the scale of the problem because I don't have exact data? Okay buddy, you do that. You can continue to think the 64 was famous for bad controllers if that suits you. Denying the problem helps no one though. It's not an attack on Nintendo to point out a problem, and there's no need to defend them, just ask them to fix the problem. Are you saying that they should do nothing about it? Because it kind of sounds like that. If you don't care about this, then stop whining just because I do care. Nintendo is a large, successful company that doesn't need you to defend them.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
Shiken said:

I have had several N64 controllers have their sticks loosen with dead zones, as well as Game Cube controllers.  From what I understand, this was a common issue then too.  My 360 controllers developed drift issues and my X1 controller was unusable due to drift developing overtime.  I had no problems with Playstation controllers however as far as the sticks go dating back to the PS1, but my PS3 controllers no longer hold a charge.

Just because you have not had any problems does not mean that the issue does not exist for others regarsing other consoles.  I for example have NEVER experienced a hardware failure from MS, Nintendo, or Sega.  Does that mean that because my 360 did not get RRoD, it must be a low failure rate?

So you're going to argue with me over the scale of the problem because I don't have exact data? Okay buddy, you do that. You can continue to think the 64 was famous for bad controllers if that suits you. Denying the problem helps no one though. It's not an attack on Nintendo to point out a problem, and there's no need to defend them, just ask them to fix the problem. Are you saying that they should do nothing about it? Because it kind of sounds like that. If you don't care about this, then stop whining just because I do care. Nintendo is a large, successful company that doesn't need you to defend them.

I am saying that it is an issue that has always been present for every console that uses control sticks (least of all on the PS side in my personal experience), but it seems like people like to single out joy cons.  No one is trying to defend Nintendo, as you said they do not need it.  I just find the hypocrisy of the internet comical is all, and I am just pointing it out.  You were acting like because you never had a problem with controllers in the past, the issue must not have existed for past controllers.  I was simply offering another perspective that debunked that notion.

Also by pointing out that it is a problem with controllers in general is not denying anything.  It is actually increasing the scale beyond just Nintendo, so you might want to re read what I said in my first post on the matter.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I am saying that it is an issue that has always been present for every console that uses control sticks (least of all on the PS side in my personal experience), but it seems like people like to single out joy cons.  No one is trying to defend Nintendo, as you said they do not need it.  I just find the hypocrisy of the internet comical is all, and I am just pointing it out.  You were acting like because you never had a problem with controllers in the past, the issue must not have existed for past controllers.  I was simply offering another perspective that debunked that notion.

Also by pointing out that it is a problem with controllers in general is not denying anything.  It is actually increasing the scale beyond just Nintendo, so you might want to re read what I said in my first post on the matter.

There's no hypocrisy dude, we're singling out the Switch's control sticks because they're a unique problem. You're trying to say this doesn't matter. That it doesn't affect an outsized proportion of people with Switches. Just look at the poll man, this is RROD scale.

HylianSwordsman said:
Shiken said:

There's no hypocrisy dude, we're singling out the Switch's control sticks because they're a unique problem. You're trying to say this doesn't matter. That it doesn't affect an outsized proportion of people with Switches. Just look at the poll man, this is RROD scale.

Something that happens to pretty much every controller does not exactly qualify as a unique problem and a poll of less than 50 people does not exactly qualify as a RROD scale anything.  Also it appears you still refuse to go back to my first post, so you are talking in circles.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Something that happens to pretty much every controller does not exactly qualify as a unique problem and a poll of less than 50 people does not exactly qualify as a RROD scale anything.  Also it appears you still refuse to go back to my first post, so you are talking in circles.

No, you're talking in circles. What in your first post do you want me to respond to? Sorry I can't scientifically prove that Joycons have issues with their control sticks. I think they do, more so than any other controller ever to hit the market from the big three platform holders. I'd wager that most of this thread agrees, and that's enough for me. I don't care if you don't agree.

Shiken said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Dude, I have been gaming for 30 years.  I have owned a N64, ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and a Switch.  I have owned dozens upon dozens of controllers.  I have never had drift issues, it has exclusively been a Joy Con problem for me.  Nintendo is my favorite developer, the Switch my favorite console, but the Joy Cons are trash.  The first pair I had drifted and had connectivity issues.  I replaced them and had drift problems yet again, and now they come of the console easily.  The Joy Cons are not durable.  This is a real problem, not a made up anti Nintendo stance.  Just Google "Joy Con drift" and notice the hundreds of issues being reported.