By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Stagnant Working Class

Freedom toons once again show how capitalism made our lives better. We take our lives for granted here in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-QfU8mOA7E

Around the Network

Whoa, what a groundbreaking idea this is.

I don't think anyone is advocating for the end of capitalism. At least not any relevant group. What people are actually advocating for is a more equal capitalism. A capitalism where the top 1% doesn't hold 50% of the wealth. A capitalism where people don't die because they made the mistake of getting sick and not being able to pay for the cure. A capitalism where everyone can get well-educated and a capitalism where we don't destroy the planet we live in. A capitalism where you don't get punished for being something you didn't choose to be.

The phrase "capitalism made our lives better" is also only true for portion of the population. I bet the people who have to skip meals because they don't have money to buy them don't agree with that. Neither do the people who were forced into dictatorships because another country wanted cheap oil.

I mean, it's great that the middle class in the United States has access to healthcare, education and comfort. What these people you criticize are trying to do is granting that for every human being.

B O I

Yeah, that was pretty meaningless. Is anyone honestly swayed by propaganda still? It seems like we should be cynical enough to be immune by now.

Uninformed cartoon right there,acting like the people criticizing capitalism always had luxury and will always have much,it fails in making a point and it feels like being a onesided circlejerk.

Meh.

We don't live in a capitalist system. But in a Central Bank System, which is the opposite.

Around the Network

Very uninformed cartoon which suggests that there's only 2 possibilities: Laissez-faire Capitalism and Communism, with nothing in between. Thing is, what people like AOC, Bernie, Warren, etc... are advocating is actually the stuff in between the two.

Also, it seems to show the middle class, a group which has been shrinking over the last decades in favor of both upper class and lower class, mostly due to stagnating incomes. It's even worse right now with full employment the salaries are not growing past inflation speed, so any recession will throw the middle class further back again.

So true. We have people who technically qualify as poor in our country walking around with cell phones, driving used cars that wouldn't even exist save for the people who buy them new, and have at least one nice TV in the home. A far stretch from the poor you will find in 3rd world countries.

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:
So true. We have people who technically qualify as poor in our country walking around with cell phones, driving used cars that wouldn't even exist save for the people who buy them new, and have at least one nice TV in the home. A far stretch from the poor you will find in 3rd world countries.

Finally, someone came at least close to figuring out the video's point.

People seem to also ignore the ending of the cartoon. Where the character complained about how we should have the government more involved in everything just as we do now with Education and Health care. The most expensive services in America that a lot of time are inadequate, to say the least.

A group of people being worse off doesn't equate to something else being ok. Indentured servants aren't ok, because slavery was worse.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Whoa, what a groundbreaking idea this is.

I don't think anyone is advocating for the end of capitalism. At least not any relevant group. What people are actually advocating for is a more equal capitalism. A capitalism where the top 1% doesn't hold 50% of the wealth. A capitalism where people don't die because they made the mistake of getting sick and not being able to pay for the cure. A capitalism where everyone can get well-educated and a capitalism where we don't destroy the planet we live in. A capitalism where you don't get punished for being something you didn't choose to be.

The phrase "capitalism made our lives better" is also only true for portion of the population. I bet the people who have to skip meals because they don't have money to buy them don't agree with that. Neither do the people who were forced into dictatorships because another country wanted cheap oil.

I mean, it's great that the middle class in the United States has access to healthcare, education and comfort. What these people you criticize are trying to do is granting that for every human being.

Pretty much this.

Capitalism in and of itself isn't bad but like all political ideologies it can be corrupted, specifically due to greed. What most people are advocating for is a fair capitalistic society where everyone has a safety net of sorts and where big corporations are put in check and their profits aren't put before the peoples' interests.

Just because things are good for an individual and as a society we are able to advance, like what was shown in the video, doesn't mean that what's going on is okay.