By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

Barkley said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

The Switch Lite can connect to normal Joy-Cons.

This is what it says about Game Compatibility: 

"Nintendo Switch Lite can play the games in the Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode.

For games that do not support handheld mode, players can wirelessly connect compatible controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite.

Just look for the “handheld mode” icon:"

So... it does support tabletop... why do they say it doesn't then contradict themselves underneath. xD

I am baffled why it doesn't support dock then, I mean I know physically it might not fit but they could always release an adapter or new dock or something, my best guess now is that the cooling isn't good enough to run the clocks inside high enough for docked. Removing dock functionality shouldn't reduce production costs at all.

Tabletop mode uses the kickstand and detachable controllers.  The Lite has no kickstand and no detachable controllers.  Hence, no official tabletop mode.

There is a workaround with separately purchased controllers, but I think Nintendo is trying to keep this as clear as possible by just saying it is handheld only.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Oh noez, Nintendo is d0m3d! Again.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I am torn a bit. I have a Switch already and actually use the multiplayer aspect of it (local) now and then, but it is obviously my secondary system, so my overall gaming time is minimal. But I want this. I want a dedicated handheld system and 200$ is a great price. But man I feel I'm going to be sorry spending that extra amount and than barely using it

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Random_Matt said:
People defend a chip that came out in 2014 saying it is not overpriced, wow. Nvidia ripped Nintendo off as they do with everyone, then Nintendo decided to rip off consumers as well. It is not even close to being worth the retail price, clueless.

The PSP was $250.  In comparison the Switch offers:

1) Better graphics

2) Larger screen

3) Higher resolution screen

4) Removable controllers

5) Ability to play at home via a dock

6) Touch Screen

7) Dual Analog

And the conclusion is the Switch is overpriced?  Yeah, you are clueless.  I love how Nintendo is suppose to offer easily the stronger dedicated portable gaming device, while having functionality at home, but some how the price should be less than the PSP.....  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 July 2019

Chrkeller said:
Random_Matt said:
People defend a chip that came out in 2014 saying it is not overpriced, wow. Nvidia ripped Nintendo off as they do with everyone, then Nintendo decided to rip off consumers as well. It is not even close to being worth the retail price, clueless.

1) Better graphics

2) Larger screen

4) Removable controllers

And the conclusion is the Switch is overpriced?  Yeah, you are clueless.  

What? How can you compare specs/price of systems that launched 13 years apart? xD

"My Xbox One X demolishes the ps2 so it's good value."

I'm not saying the Switch isn't good value, just that this argument is bizarre.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Chrkeller said:

1) Better graphics

2) Larger screen

4) Removable controllers

And the conclusion is the Switch is overpriced?  Yeah, you are clueless.  

What? How can you compare specs/price of systems that launched 13 years apart? xD

And the Xbox X cost more than the ps2 did.  That is in fact the point.  Technology improves and costs money.  The Switch is $50 more than what the PSP was.  The price point is where it should be.  

Chrkeller said:
Barkley said:

And the Xbox X cost more than the ps2 did.  That is in fact the point.  Technology improves and costs money.  The Switch is $50 more than what the PSP was.  The price point is where it should be.  

Eh no, higher specs don't mean it should definitely cost more when you're talking about systems that launched over a decade apart. A Gamecube cost the same as a Snes and was far superior, doesn't mean the Snes was crap value. Time allows you to offer better specs at a cheaper price.

A portable device with PSP specs today should be less than $50. Time changes pricing, so Switch Specs > PSP Specs so should cost more is silly.

Imagine if Nvidia launched a GT 1030 for $400 in 2017, sure it's better than the $400 card they launched in 2004 but that doens't mean the $400 GT 1030 is good value, it would be a PoS.

Again you are missing the point, perhaps intentionally. $250 has been a baseline for portable gaming devices with the PSP and Vita... The Switch has taken the portable gaming device, added functionality and slightly increased the cost. Calling the Switch overpriced is absurd. It is in line with where portables have been.  

I am not even sure the $50 covers inflation over the last 13 years.  You are making this a specs only comparison, I am looking at historical pricing in relation to functionality.  

Chrkeller said:
Again you are missing the point, perhaps intentionally. $250 has been a baseline for portable gaming devices with the PSP and Vita... The Switch has taken the portable gaming device, added functionality and slightly increased the cost. Calling the Switch overpriced is absurd. It is in line with where portables have been.

"Again you are missing the point, perhaps intentionally." Why would I intentionally miss the point? I don't disagree with point you are trying to make, I disagree with the way you are making it. The cost of producing the system is what is important in whether the system is "overpriced" or not. It being more functional and powerful than the PSP that launched in 2004 is irrelevant.

You can only compare devices that are contemporaries with each other to determine value. Making a comparison between PSP and Switch is as illogical as comparing an IPhone X to an early 2000's Motorola. The market changes and so does pricing, and so does what is considered good value.

Last edited by Barkley - on 11 July 2019

Very much as I expected. "Switch" is a brandname at this point and not indicative of it's functionality.

I wonder if they'll also release a dedicated home "Switch".