By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How should Microsoft approach first party development going forward?

Diversify their portfolio. Too much Gears, Halo, Forza this gen. Obviously, these franchises are big for the Xbox brand, but the popularity of these franchises are declining. Give them time to breathe.

Take more risks with new IP's. Give developers more freedom and additional funding/resources. Didn't Black Tusk want to start working on a new IP but were forced to do Gears instead? Don't interfere with development. MS wanting Scalebound to have a MP component is absolutely ridiculous. MS having a weak catalog of IP's is unacceptable three gens, about to be four gens, in the console business. 

Don't push for MP games when many third parties provide the best experience for it anyway. 

Around the Network

Alternatively, they should just sell their assets and franchises to Sony and retire from the console business altogether.

JRPGfan said:

"Phil says Game pass is important for single player games.... "

"They bought the dev's behinde Hellblade"

And what happend? Ninja Theory first game, is a multiplayer online AA game called Bleeding Edge.

Also if Phil says Game pass is important for single player games.... how many single player focused games, have MS made that are currently on it?
My impression is that Xbox says one thing, but does another.

Your saying that my assumption that Gamepass is for cheap AA games with Online Multiplayer focus, GaaS type, is wrong...
Can you say why? other than "phil says".

Double Fine is doing "Psychonauts 2" currently,  but that was in the work before MS bought them.
Thats a single player game, but are you confident that there next game wont be a Online Focused game?

As Azzanation has already mentioned, Bleeding edge was in development way before MS bought them. This was Ninja Theory's passion project they've been working on. Do you think MS should have cancelled BE and told Ninja Theory to focus on single player games instead? Wouldn't that be the opposite of letting devs have creative freedom? 

MS wouldn't buy up these developers like Compulsion Games, Ninja Theory, Obisidian, Double Fine, and InXile who's main focus have always been single player games, and then tell them to make online focused games, Gaas, and so forth. Maybe you don't believe Phil, but lets look at Netflix. One reason Netflix is so popular is because they release a wide variety of original content which targets many different audiences. If Netflix only released what was considered "popular", they wouldn't be seeing nearly the success they have now. MS is going to let Inxile make the games they want because if they don't, Game Pass will never be the "Netflix of gaming."

Lets's look at several games that are single player or have a single player campaign which will be on Game Pass. Gears 5, The Outer Worlds, Pschonauts 2, Ori 2, Wasteland 3, Age of Empires 4, Age of Empires 2 Remastered, Halo Infinite, MS Flight Simulator, Battletoads, and Gears Tactics. Btw, all these games are either published by MS or from a MS developer. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 08 July 2019

JRPGfan said:
crissindahouse said:

MS's devs already said that they have almost total freedom now and that they get much more time if needed (which we already see with Forza Motorsport, Halo...)

MS also bought studios like Double Fine and they didn't buy a dev for what they achieved with Hellblade just for multiplayer.

Phil Spencer said that Game Pass will be important especially for SINGLE player games and you just say that Game Pass proves how it's all about multiplayer.

"Phil says Game pass is important for single player games.... "

"They bought the dev's behinde Hellblade"

And what happend? Ninja Theory first game, is a multiplayer online AA game called Bleeding Edge.

Also if Phil says Game pass is important for single player games.... how many single player focused games, have MS made that are currently on it?
My impression is that Xbox says one thing, but does another.

Your saying that my assumption that Gamepass is for cheap AA games with Online Multiplayer focus, GaaS type, is wrong...
Can you say why? other than "phil says".

Double Fine is doing "Psychonauts 2" currently,  but that was in the work before MS bought them.
Thats a single player game, but are you confident that there next game wont be a Online Focused game?

Why do you keep mentioning what happened in the past when we talk about the future? MS obviously released multiplayer games on Game Pass because they already released these games.

How has this anything to do with what their plans are with Game Pass? What they released right now wasn't really made with Game Pass in mind, do you understand that?

And sure, they will also release multiplayer games in the future, but they don't buy almost only devs specialized in single player games just for multiplayer content. If that was their plan, they would buy totally different devs.

And don't mention Bleeding Edge, you know how long Ninja Theory works on that, it's their wish to work on it and MS gives them the freedom to do so.

Xbox has a lot of single player games. People believe that "cinematic story driven games" are the only single player games.
Sea of thieves is the only gaas from microsoft and the catalog is more varied, but needs more releases per year
Microsoft has to develop sequels of its new ips, with greater budget, time and polish.
Games like Sunset Overdrive , Recore and Quantum Break could be great series if they improve their flaws.
It's funny how everyone hates corporate monopolies, but they just want every Nintendo and Xbox game on PlayStation.

Sorry for my bad english.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Alternatively, they should just sell their assets and franchises to Sony and retire from the console business altogether.

Alternatively, Sony could just sell their assets and franchises to Microsoft and retire from the console business altogether.

Why do this thread keep popping up like Microsoft hasnt been doing anything. Microsoft in order to better compete next gen needed more studios. They shouldnt get rid of their current IP, they need to reinvest like what they are doing with the next Halo. Microsoft need Halo, gear and Forza but what they needed was other studios to make other games to supplement what they have already.

They also have a superior subscription model which is still unmatched in the industry.

While exclusivity will always have a place, crossplay, play anywhere and subscrition model is the future. Microsoft is doing everything right at the moment and if they keep this momentum they could gain lots of ground next generation.

JRPGfan said:

"Variety is the spice of life"
Thats the main issue..... too much of their focus seems on online-multiplayer and GaaS type games.
They should get praise for doing a platformer as good looking as "Ori" though.

Sadly this isnt going to change imo, because of Gamepass, and them viewing xbox as a service.
They want things that could potentially last, so everything needs to be online multiplayer focused GaaS.

It actually could. Microsoft never really said they're doing away with Single player games necessarily, it's just that they want to focus on multiplayer games specifically. Now Multiplayer service games aren't the only things they should release. But there's nothing wrong with them being the killer app or selling point. With more studios under their belt, Microsoft could provide a very diverse library.

"Obviously you can't make every game a blockbuster"
You actually could, you controll these companies and their pockets.
MS could dictate they all need to hire, and only do AAA games.

MS doesnt want to give them time to do quality, or open the pocket book for it, though.
Developers say MS interfer, changeing their plans for games mid developement, and when they ask for more time, they just get cancelled.
Its why quality is low on alot of these titles, their rushed out the gate.

-edit:  Sony basically came out and said their doubleing down, on AAA focused developements for the PS5.

Yes, you could make every game a blockbuster, but I don't think that's actually a good strategy. It stifles creativity and after a while all your games look and play very similar because of it. Case in point, just look at how homogenized so many of Sony's recent first party games have been.

Now I do agree that Microsoft needs to have more patience with their developers and give them the budget needed to make the game they want. But I don't think mandating them to spend as much money as possible to make their games needlessly big is good idea.

"Keep them Xbox exclusive"
What is xbox though? because Phill isnt even trying to sell you consoles anymore.
Play anywhere, old console? new console? PC? want to stream it? ect they just want the sale of the game.
At this point, xbox future could end up as a "app" you install.

They even talked about putting Halo on competeing platforms (ei. playstation)
like How you can play Minecraft everywhere now..... imagine next gen, Halo also launches on playstation 5.

Xbox is a brand of Gaming platforms run by Microsoft. It doesn't have to be a console anymore, it can be a service on PC, or a streaming platform you can access from your phone. The goal isn't to get people to buy a console per-se, but buy and ecosystem, and make sure they're locked into it fairly with compelling exclusives, and great services. If I buy an Xbox exclusive, I should only be able to play it on an Xbox Console, xCloud, or the Xbox on PC platform. As for the competing platforms thing, Companies kick around ideas that they never follow through on all the time. I think the most we'll see come out of that is maybe the Halo Trillogy and xCloud coming to Switch, and that's it.

I feel like we're still in 2015 or 2016 when I read this thread? Haven't people at a gaming website been following gaming news? Haven't they seen that they tripled their 1st party studio count to diversify their line up and produce more than Halo, Gears and Forza, not that I agree with the statement saying that's what they only had. Haven't they looked at the studios and saw that the majority of them are a single player focused studios? Haven't they noticed that those studios are known for RPG, Action, RTS, platformer, story driven games? Haven't they noticed Halo is taking 5 years to develop, Motorsport is taking an extra year and other developers is taking their time as well?

I agree that GamePass will push them to find GAAS games. I also think it will push them to diversify the line up. It will push them to get single player, multiplayer, MMO and other type of games. It will push them to get games from US, Europe and Japan. It will push them to keep pumping game to keep the subscriptions coming. Why only look at what you think is the bad side?

They are doing it the right way. Instead of pushing devs to produce game in a crazy schedule, they got more devs so they can take their time. They are allowing them to do whatever thing they would like to do. They are allowing them to grow and higher more people.

CaptainExplosion said:

How about they make games with old Rare IPs THAT DON'T SUCK?

We want this:

NOT THIS:

I am not complaining. Nutz n Bolts was a solid spin off and Battletoads looks fresh. Cannot wait to play it. Be very nostalgic.

I still want a Banjo Threeie and a Prefect Dark 2 title aswell.