By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long would you prefer a console lifespan to last before replacement?

I prefer...

5 years or less 9 14.29%

6 years 22 34.92%

7 years 16 25.40%

8 years or more 16 25.40%

Total:63

6 Years. But it depends on the tech that's available. If the PS5 launched this year it probably wouldn't have been taking advantage of Zen2/Navi tech and been substantially less of a jump due to this, so 2020 seems like the best time.

Switch could be replaced in less than 6 years and I'd be happy. It'll be very outdated if it waits longer. Holiday 2022 for the successor is a good time imo.

Around the Network

About 6 years. 5 is fine too, but 6 seems just right.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm ready for the the next gen now. I've grown frustrated with long loading times and weak frame rates. As long as backwards compatible is always a thing, I won't mind adding to my backlog (I'll tackle it when I retire). Storage is also something I would like to see addressed, but it won't be. New tech is always exciting for me, but not weak ass new tech.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Can't vote on this one, my attitude has changed from generation to generation.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Mid Gen consoles seem to be the norm now. Expect PS5.5 and Scarlet 1.5 will come through 2024.

Around the Network

I'm confident that lifespans will one day become obsolete because of what will soon be the modular console.
It's been the direction consoles have taken since the original 'box (arguably well before that) to emulate pc's.
I think it's going to be very soon, even the generation after this, that consoles become fully customizable.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Considering cyberpunk 2077 will likely be the one pushing the boundaries on ps4 i would say 7-8 years.

I think a new generation should start whenever the tech can offer a generational leap at a reasonable price.

BraLoD said:
Less than 5 will make it be too expensive,.....

Thats the thing, people shouldn't ignore the costs of consoles.
Having to fork out 400$-500$ every 4-5 years will still be a decent amount for alot of people.

I think alot of people that buy a console, expect 6-7years from them (and even longer support).

Ontop of that with developement times of games, being so long now, it just doesnt make sense.

I think 7-8 years with a mid-gen refresh works out wonderfully.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames