By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long would you prefer a console lifespan to last before replacement?

I prefer...

5 years or less 9 14.29%

6 years 22 34.92%

7 years 16 25.40%

8 years or more 16 25.40%

Total:63

I'm confident that lifespans will one day become obsolete because of what will soon be the modular console.
It's been the direction consoles have taken since the original 'box (arguably well before that) to emulate pc's.
I think it's going to be very soon, even the generation after this, that consoles become fully customizable.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network

Considering cyberpunk 2077 will likely be the one pushing the boundaries on ps4 i would say 7-8 years.

I feel like a generation should last long enough to build up a solid library.  With the PS3 era, I definitely felt ready for the next generation of consoles.  PS3 had a ton of games I really cared about and I felt ready for a new system.  Right now though, I feel like the PS4 needs like 5 more big new announcements.

With how long it is taking to make new games, a 7+ year generation is my preference.  But I'd really prefer games to be quicker developments...  

5 to 7 years.
Less than 5 will make it be too expensive, more than 7 will make it be too dated.

I think a new generation should start whenever the tech can offer a generational leap at a reasonable price.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Less than 5 will make it be too expensive,.....

Thats the thing, people shouldn't ignore the costs of consoles.
Having to fork out 400$-500$ every 4-5 years will still be a decent amount for alot of people.

I think alot of people that buy a console, expect 6-7years from them (and even longer support).

Ontop of that with developement times of games, being so long now, it just doesnt make sense.

Lifespan in accordance to healthy game output. Wii U was a pain despite only 4.5 years, but Switch can go about double the distance.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

I think 7-8 years with a mid-gen refresh works out wonderfully.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

JRPGfan said:
BraLoD said:
Less than 5 will make it be too expensive,.....

Thats the thing, people shouldn't ignore the costs of consoles.
Having to fork out 400$-500$ every 4-5 years will still be a decent amount for alot of people.

I think alot of people that buy a console, expect 6-7years from them (and even longer support).

Ontop of that with developement times of games, being so long now, it just doesnt make sense.

Yeah, 6/7 is likely the best.

Whenever there is a fundamental leap in hardware capability that makes the generation jump... Well. Generational.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--