By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long would you prefer a console lifespan to last before replacement?

I prefer...

5 years or less 9 14.29%

6 years 22 34.92%

7 years 16 25.40%

8 years or more 16 25.40%

Total:63

I could go for as little as every 5 years if the traditional concept of 'generations' changes. Where instead of a new platform we just get a new target of power that games can harness. Where every game released is forward and backwards compatible. Basically that the fundamental platform is the same each new SKU release.

If they could do that for at least 3 cycles with a possible fundamental reboot in platform (only if necessary), I would be happy. If that just wouldn't work I would opt for 6-7-8 years between new generation releases with support for previous generation lasting 1-2-3 years.

Of course console gaming is going to enter a period of higher flux (volatility) in the next gens with dropping physical media (its only a matter of when), with streaming taking over the majority of gaming (its only a matter of when). So much of this discussion could be entirely moot when we don't even need 'consoles' in the first place.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

I'm strongly against the idea of releasing iterative hardware upgrades every 1 or 2 years, to me its a horrible idea. I want to buy one device and feel confident that games are going to run properly on it for a good 6 years, not run worse and worse as each new model releases and games become less optimized since they have to target so many different hardware configurations and inevitably the older models get the short end of the stick.

Such a model basically screws over everyone except those super-rich enough to keep buying the latest iteration every year.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Out of curiosity, in what year would you expect the hardware to be available (and affordable) for a generational leap over the Switch be viable at a $300 price point with a decent profit margin? (In a similar handheld/hybrid form factor of course)

2021 is probably when 7nm+ with EUV is mature with really good yields while fabs start looking/transitioning towards 5nm.

nVidia of course needs to invent the chip as well... Maybe using Orin? Would be interesting to see if they use their Carmel cores.

Maybe 2022. The ball is entirely within nVidia/AMD/Other ARM manufacturers courts of course.

Alrighty, thanks. So probably add 2 years onto that to account for Nintendo being conservative, like how they used a 2015 Tegra X1 for a 2017 system release. I wonder if they'll end up having to get a custom SoC made for Switch 2, since IIRC, the newer Tegra chips like Xavier are no longer geared towards mobile gaming applications?

6 years.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

7 years brings console makers enough time to profit and to carefully design the successive gen too, while game devs get a longer living platform, that besides giving them too more time to profit on each game, also allows them to develop more stuff for it, so adding further return on the investment they made to develop for it, studying it, buing dev kits, etc. and dev costs are less likely to skyrocket.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:

I'm strongly against the idea of releasing iterative hardware upgrades every 1 or 2 years, to me its a horrible idea. I want to buy one device and feel confident that games are going to run properly on it for a good 6 years, not run worse and worse as each new model releases and games become less optimized since they have to target so many different hardware configurations and inevitably the older models get the short end of the stick.

Such a model basically screws over everyone except those super-rich enough to keep buying the latest iteration every year.

Pemalite said:

2021 is probably when 7nm+ with EUV is mature with really good yields while fabs start looking/transitioning towards 5nm.

nVidia of course needs to invent the chip as well... Maybe using Orin? Would be interesting to see if they use their Carmel cores.

Maybe 2022. The ball is entirely within nVidia/AMD/Other ARM manufacturers courts of course.

Alrighty, thanks. So probably add 2 years onto that to account for Nintendo being conservative, like how they used a 2015 Tegra X1 for a 2017 system release. I wonder if they'll end up having to get a custom SoC made for Switch 2, since IIRC, the newer Tegra chips like Xavier are no longer geared towards mobile gaming applications?

Xavier is still geared towards mobile applications, nVidia just chose to throw energy efficiency out the window with the chips it did release in order to hit certain performance and power targets for specific markets.
Chips can scale downwards and upwards surprisingly well in terms of power consumption.

nVidia will still build semi-custom chips based around it's Tegra line for various customers... And if they can reuse those designs for other devices like Shield, then they will probably do so... They might have chosen to give up on Phones and Tablets, but they are still active in this space.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The 7th gen felt like it went on too long because it was really struggling to hold up with PC ports. People forget but a lot of AAA games at that time would dip into the teens in frame rate and the sub-HD resolutions were kinda rough.

The 8th gen though has held up better, frame rate is generally pretty solid, graphics still impress and resolution is good thanks to dynamic resolution techniques. The mid gen upgrades have also been great for more visual polish and frame rates.

I think 9th gen launch specs will last a good 7-8 years as well. Maybe there will be a mid gen upgrade for those who really need those 8K visuals with 120 fps.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Pemalite said:

Xavier is still geared towards mobile applications, nVidia just chose to throw energy efficiency out the window with the chips it did release in order to hit certain performance and power targets for specific markets.
Chips can scale downwards and upwards surprisingly well in terms of power consumption.

nVidia will still build semi-custom chips based around it's Tegra line for various customers... And if they can reuse those designs for other devices like Shield, then they will probably do so... They might have chosen to give up on Phones and Tablets, but they are still active in this space.

IMO, Xavier if ported to 5nm and with a lower clockspeed as well would be perfect for a Switch successor so long as Nintendo doesn't worry about backwards compatibility (incompatible ISA) ... 

I don't know if Nvidia likes the idea of tailoring to the specific needs of a big customer because so far all Nvidia has done recently is use off the shelf available silicon so they might actually refuse to design/build a truly semi-custom chip unique to a customer ...

Maybe it's time that consoles start including some form of expansion port, like in old days - I figure more people might go for mid-gen upgrade if there was just another box that plugs into your existing...

fatslob-:O said:

IMO, Xavier if ported to 5nm and with a lower clockspeed as well would be perfect for a Switch successor so long as Nintendo doesn't worry about backwards compatibility (incompatible ISA) ... 

I don't know if Nvidia likes the idea of tailoring to the specific needs of a big customer because so far all Nvidia has done recently is use off the shelf available silicon so they might actually refuse to design/build a truly semi-custom chip unique to a customer ...

nVidia tailoring chips to specific customers is probably exactly what they need to do. AMD has been stupidly successful with that approach... And nVidia might be just taking that exact approach with Mariko... Which doesn't have any equivalent released chip currently.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-switch-new-tegra-x1-silicon-comes-into-focus

Orin would be a more impressive fit though.
https://www.fudzilla.com/news/45943-nvidia-announces-automotive-soc-orin

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

6 to 7 years is ok to me

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."