By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Google Stadia is doomed to fail?

Is stadia going to fail? (not be competitive, profitable?)

yes - (people wont pay for 4k subscription) 42 77.78%

no - (people want to stre... 12 22.22%

Total:54

No, it will crash and burn. Also I clicked yes on the poll because I thought it was answering to the thread title. Please coordinate title and poll. XD

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
JRPGfan said:

Seems more than half of users here believe in stadia.... and a streaming future.
More positive reception than I thought it would be.

Actually I clicked "yes" thinking the question to your poll was the same as the title of this thread.

I wonder if some other people got caught just like me :P (Btw, my actual answer is no)

Thread should be locked and remade due to likelihood of producing inaccurate results. I voted correctly, but it was done out of spite.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Darwinianevolution said:
 Also I clicked yes on the poll because I thought it was answering to the thread title. Please coordinate title and poll. XD

Changed the poll..... now I just gotta figour out how to reset the votes..

*edit: found it :)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 28 June 2019

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Changed the poll..... now I just gotta figour out how to reset the votes..

There's a Reset button next to Update Poll.

Mission success! found it and done :)

Eh now the Poll options are about whether people will subscribe for 4k, not whether Stadia will be successful or not, which it might even without people subscribing. xD

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Eh now the Poll options are about whether people will subscribe for 4k, not whether Stadia will be successful or not, which it might even without people subscribing. xD

You think it ll still be successfull without the 4k subscription costs?
It has to cost a ton to run those servers to stream things and the bandwidth costs.

I dont think the non-paying useres, at 1080p, will be enough to cover costs.
Those % they get from games sales wont be enough to drive this thing.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

You think it ll still be successfull without the 4k subscription costs?
It has to cost a ton to run those servers to stream things and the bandwidth costs.

I dont think the non-paying useres, at 1080p, will be enough to cover costs.
Those % they get from games sales wont be enough to drive this thing.

The $18 they get from selling a game should be substantially more than the cost of running a users average game. Games that have 100's of hours of playtime would be the exception to this rule.

I think the 4k subscription will be used by 30-60% of Stadia users, those that use it frequently. Infrequent gamers won't bother.

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

Let's just take a moment to marvel at how confident you are in your apparently poor reading comprehension. Did he or did he not list two other platforms that already exist that he feels Stadia is a competitor of, that you conveniently ignored in your "confirmation" that you did not do a pricing comparison to that were much more valid comparisons to make just like I was saying all along? Damn. This is like a flat earther doing an experiment that clearly points to the earth being a globe but because he doesn't have the knowledge or experience to interpret the results correctly, thinks it's actually evidence the earth is flat.

Also, nice dodge on your misunderstanding of "straw man argument".

I don't see how the additions of Switch and Steam negate JRPGfan's much earlier post about next gen consoles which refers to only the PS5 and Scarlett.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9029008

Your point has been that it was wrong of me to assume that JRPGfan draws a comparison between Stadia, PS5 and Scarlet, but nothing he has said has contradicted this.

I know what a straw man is and it's not wrong of me to think that you have bad intentions in this thread based on the way you have argued about what the comparison of this thread is about. You continue to twist and spin to make me look bad, the latest example being the post I just quoted.

Silly Rol, I don't have to twist or spin your words to make you look bad. They do that all on their own!

And again, my argument since the beginning is that trying to determine that the cost of ownership of the Stadia vs the PS5/Xbox Scarlet is ridiculous because we know nothing about those platforms. You argued that it was the only valid comparison to make because those were the consoles the OP was referring to as competition to Stadia. The OP then explicitly lists which consoles he feels its competing against, which include PS5/XBox Scarlett, as well as two other platforms, which are existing platforms with known costs associated with them that clearly would be much more valid comparisons to make, and you think confirms that your price comparison between the PS5/Xbox Scarlett was valid all along as a result when if you made a cost comparison between Stadia and Switch in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

Whether or not an argument is a "Straw man" or no has literally nothing to do with the intentions of the argument or the paranoia of the person claiming the argument is a straw man, so you've again demonstrated that you don't know what a straw man argument is. Besides, one can easily argue that your comparison between PS5/Xbox Scarlett and Stadia is a prime example of "bad intentions" that you have shown in this thread. Looks to me like you're just projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto those that are pointing out the flaws in your argument.

JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:
Back to the original question, "doomed to fail" implies it has no chance of success.
I would like to think we can all agree it has at least some degree of likelihood of success. It isn't going to be DoA.

Alright then, how many subscriptions that pay for the 4k mode, do you think it ll have?
Will its adoption rate be higher than say Xbox Two (people that buy the hardware)?

Your right its probably not Doa, atleast as long as they keep the 1080p = free usage.

Without knowing how well the Stadia works in the real world, I cannot make any predictions.  I also don't have clarity on what games will be available and which will be free.  We simply do not know enough.  Certainly not enough to claim it is DoA.  I remember when people laughed at the Wii and claimed it DoA...  how'd that work out?  

In terms of bigger picture, a group of people have loud voices as it concerns ownership of media.  But the represent the minority.  Netflix is doing very well.  Prime is doing well.  Spotify is doing well.  Apple music is doing well.  The fact is the world is moving strongly in favor of giving up ownership for convenience.  Like it or not, physical ownership is dying.

With the exception of Switch games (because Nintendo's digital ownership policies are stupid) I can't remember the last time I bought physical media.  I stream TVs and movies.  I use Amazon for music.  I download books to my kindle.  My ps4 games are 100% digital.  And 10 years ago the idea of giving up physical media would have made me laugh...  but yet here I am.  And I am not alone.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 28 June 2019

potato_hamster said:

trying to determine that the cost of ownership of the Stadia vs the PS5/Xbox Scarlet is ridiculous because we know nothing about those platforms.

You could attempt to use a bit of intuition.

They will cost $400-$500.

They will require subscriptions for online.

That's all you need to know for a basic comparison. Is assuming either of those two things really "Ridiculous".

Is saying there will be mid-gen upgrades for PS5/XB2 ridiculous either? Most people would probably give a 50/50 chance of it happening at the very least.

None of these assumptions are "ridiculous" so the comparison isn't "ridiculous" either.

Do you really think pricing is going to be SO much different for the new consoles? No you don't.