By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Google Stadia is doomed to fail?

Is stadia going to fail? (not be competitive, profitable?)

yes - (people wont pay for 4k subscription) 42 77.78%

no - (people want to stre... 12 22.22%

Total:54

Too many think people care so much about 4k and so on.

Just look at Steams numbers and the power of the average person PC. Most are content with 1080p

Around the Network
Barkley said:
potato_hamster said:

trying to determine that the cost of ownership of the Stadia vs the PS5/Xbox Scarlet is ridiculous because we know nothing about those platforms.

You could attempt to use a bit of intuition.

They will cost $400-$500.

They will require subscriptions for online.

That's all you need to know for a basic comparison. Is assuming either of those two things really "Ridiculous".

Is saying there will be mid-gen upgrades for PS5/XB2 ridiculous either? Most people would probably give a 50/50 chance of it happening at the very least.

None of these assumptions are "ridiculous" so the comparison isn't "ridiculous" either.

Do you really think pricing is going to be SO much different for the new consoles? No you don't.

Will they cost $400-$500? Will they require subscriptions for online?

PS2 owners intuition wouldn't have had them speculating the price of the PS3 to be "Five hundred ninety nine U.S. dollars"
PS3 owners intuition wouldn't have had them speculating that the PS4 would require subscriptions for online.
Launch day PS4 owner's intuition wouldn't have had them speculating that the PS4 Pro would ever come out.
Then there's backwards compatibility, something the PS4 totally lacks that the PS next gen has already been confirmed to have.
And so on... and so on.. and so on.. there are countless examples from Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega etc.

In fact, I'd bet that those respective owners might think that speculating about such things would be ridiculous. So that's what this is. A pile of assumptions based on previous platforms. When doing so in the past has proven that previous platforms to not be reliable sources of information about new platforms.

But hey. if you want to keep making these assumptions and treating them as facts, go ahead. It's not like I'm stopping you.

"Will they require subscriptions for online? "

Um, yes. Care to make a wager?  Sony makes millions from PSN+, no way they are walking away from that.  

potato_hamster said:
Barkley said:

You could attempt to use a bit of intuition.

They will cost $400-$500.

They will require subscriptions for online.

That's all you need to know for a basic comparison. Is assuming either of those two things really "Ridiculous".

Will they cost $400-$500? Will they require subscriptions for online?

But hey. if you want to keep making these assumptions and treating them as facts, go ahead. It's not like I'm stopping you.

Wow, I thought everyone could do what I do. But apparently I have godlike powers.

I shall inform the masses that the consoles will be priced around this range and that they will still be paying for subscriptions. 

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

Silly Rol, I don't have to twist or spin your words to make you look bad. They do that all on their own!

And again, my argument since the beginning is that trying to determine that the cost of ownership of the Stadia vs the PS5/Xbox Scarlet is ridiculous because we know nothing about those platforms. You argued that it was the only valid comparison to make because those were the consoles the OP was referring to as competition to Stadia. The OP then explicitly lists which consoles he feels its competing against, which include PS5/XBox Scarlett, as well as two other platforms, which are existing platforms with known costs associated with them that clearly would be much more valid comparisons to make, and you think confirms that your price comparison between the PS5/Xbox Scarlett was valid all along as a result when if you made a cost comparison between Stadia and Switch in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

Whether or not an argument is a "Straw man" or no has literally nothing to do with the intentions of the argument or the paranoia of the person claiming the argument is a straw man, so you've again demonstrated that you don't know what a straw man argument is. Besides, one can easily argue that your comparison between PS5/Xbox Scarlett and Stadia is a prime example of "bad intentions" that you have shown in this thread. Looks to me like you're just projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto those that are pointing out the flaws in your argument.

As I've shown you twice before, JRPGfan mentioned next gen consoles very early in the thread. That term excludes Switch and Steam, hence why my comparison in the beginning of this thread was fair. You are the only one who takes an issue with this, because you are now long past the point of return, so you try to save face by claiming that you haven't been wrong all along with your assumptions regarding what this thread is about.

You barged into this thread to have a go at me and your collection of posts in this thread proves that, starting with your initial response to me. Later on you likened me to a flat earther among other forms of condescension, so you have no grounds to claim that your behavior in this thread has been respectful or at least on a standard appropriate for this website. You continue to argue a point that nobody but you sees that way, because to everyone else it was obvious since the start that Stadia is getting compared to the PS5 and Scarlett.

Ahh, so Switch gets lumped into the PS4 and XBox One generation when its convenient for you. Got it. What was that about twisting? Steam isn't limited by generations, it's automatically next gen. It's obvious you made an assumption, and now you're projecting your attempts to save face on me. You keep forgetting that I don't care about my reputation here! I have no reason to try and save face when I'm wrong. But you do...

I didn't barge into this thread to have a go at you. That's just more paranoia from you. You keep acting that if you can come up with a reason why my argument could possibly be made against any poster before you that I'm targeting you as if you get to decide where arguments are appropriate and where they're not. I cannot keep stating this for you: Your opinions are not fact despite your attempts to treat them as such. And now you're backseat moderating me. What was that about standards that are appropriate for this website?

And again, nice dodge on the "straw man argument" definition you keep messing up.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

"Will they require subscriptions for online? "

Um, yes. Care to make a wager?  Sony makes millions from PSN+, no way they are walking away from that.  

I'm not saying they won't. I'm just point out it's an assumption because we don't know. It hasn't been announced. For all we know Sony sees Stadia as a big enough threat that they make online play free and make PS+ a value-added product just as it is was for PS3 to better leverage its position against Stadia. That's not exactly an insane possibility, but any of you here are welcome to rule it out with an announcement from Sony.

You guys need to cool your jets here, and wait for more info before making such comparison.

Online will not be free, and we both know it, as indicated by you not willing to make a wager.  

Edit

Snarky aside, given it isn't much needed, the point I am driving is console gamers tend to ignore the cost of online.  It isn't cheap over 5-7 years.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 28 June 2019

Chrkeller said:

There is a world of a difference between an "assumption" and highly educated guess. Online will not be free, and we both know it.

"The PS3 will not cost $599, and we both know it".
"The PS4 will at least be backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games, and we both know it"
"There will not be a mid-gen upgrade of the PS4, and we both know it"
"The PS4 will just have a new version of the dual shock controller, and we both know it"

I've said things along the lines of a couple of those phases myself. These are assumptions. I don't assume anything any more. I also never make wagers. It has nothing to do with my confidence level. It's a personal policy.

Anyone want to claim they know exactly what kind of console the PS5 will be, it's features, it's specs, it's price, it's controller, it's online service? Feel free to make your claims, and well, stake your credibility along with it.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 28 June 2019

I'll stake my credibility, online won't be free. Far too much money on the table.

According to Sony 34.2 million people for paid PSN+, assuming an average of $60 a year, that is $2,052,000,000 a year....  gee, I wonder if Sony will walk away from that??  Yeah, ain't happening.

*and that is based on a single year*

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 28 June 2019

potato_hamster said:
Chrkeller said:

There is a world of a difference between an "assumption" and highly educated guess. Online will not be free, and we both know it.

"The PS3 will not cost $599, and we both know it".
"The PS4 will at least be backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games, and we both know it"
"There will not be a mid-gen upgrade of the PS4, and we both know it"
"The PS4 will just have a new version of the dual shock controller, and we both know it"

I've said things along the lines of a couple of those phases myself. These are assumptions. I don't assume anything any more. I also never make wagers. It has nothing to do with my confidence level. It's a personal policy.

Anyone want to claim they know exactly what kind of console the PS5 will be, it's features, it's specs, it's price, it's controller, it's online service? Feel free to make your claims, and well, stake your credibility along with it.

Why do you think you need to be absolutely 100% certain about something? If it changes it changes, if it doesn't it doesn't. Who gives a damn? If you disagree that the price of X console will be what someone proposes then their comparison doesn't apply for you. With people who agree that it will be that price then the comparison is valid for them. Crikey!

Literally all you have to say is "I don't think it will cost this much." Rather than what you actually did.