By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Google Stadia is doomed to fail?

Is stadia going to fail? (not be competitive, profitable?)

yes - (people wont pay for 4k subscription) 42 77.78%

no - (people want to stre... 12 22.22%

Total:54
RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

You're the first one to compare the two. It seems to me like that's an assumption that you made that the only valid comparison would be between Stadia and other consoles that do not yet exist, and we know almost nothing about.

So you're saying now, definitively, that a gamer that chooses Google Stadia as their primary game platform, gets two games a month, and always wants the top level of performance out of their platform of choice will definitely be less expensive than a gamer that chooses Sony's next game console as their primary game platform, gets two games a month, and always wants the top level of performance out of their platform of choice over a six year period. You're calling that right now?

If the first post of the thread wasn't clear enough to you that the comparison is about Stadia, PS5 and Scarlett, then JRPGfan confirmed it in the third post of this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9029008

You are the first one in this thread who drew the conclusion that the comparison might not be about Stadia, PS5 and Scarlett, even though it was obvious to everyone else.

As for your straw man argument, no.

Ohh it is? TIL two people making an assumption mean's it's no longer an assumption, it's a fact! How come you didn't mention the other posts which didn't mention next gen hardware... hmmm...

What about Apple's console that's apparently coming? How about Nintendo's next console? Why aren't they part of your calculations? Why don't you have pricing models for both of those? Let me guess, those comparisons would be ridiculous!

And what straw man are you referring to? Please tell me which argument you never made that I argued against.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 28 June 2019

Around the Network

Seems more than half of users here believe in stadia.... and a streaming future.
More positive reception than I thought it would be.

Yes I do see google stadia as a competitor to PS5/XB2/Switch, and even something like Steam.

I didnt know/remember that it was free to use at 1080p, at time of posting the OP.
The subscription fee, was something I assumed your games would be locked behinde, and ontop of that not even things you actually owned.
(ei. google could decide not to host servers, with certain games after say a year or two, and even if you paid for it, you wouldnt be able to play them at that time)

To me at the time of my first post, seemed like a insane situation.
Like why would anyone want that over a physical box?

Then someone mentioned that it was actually free to use (so far atleast) at 1080p.
And that changes things.

Im still super sceptical of this though.
Like even if Digital foundry shows video side-by-side compairsons and it does "okay" in terms of fps/graphics/input lag, compaired to traditional consoles...
it wouldnt be where I want to buy my games.

Stadia would at the very least need to promis to keep games you buy, playable upto say 10years or something.
Ontop of that, what if one day they change the "free" usage at 1080p, to one that costs something? at that point you would be trapped into a subcription (if you wanted to keep playing your games).

Its a matter of trust, I just rather own a physical box.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 28 June 2019

Subscription-based gaming through streaming does sound like the future, but Stadia is not taking a wise approach to it. You don't paywall digital game purchases when the established players (pun not intended) expedite the process, especially with attractive discounts.

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

Ohh it is? TIL two people making an assumption mean's it's no longer an assumption, it's a fact!

What about Apple's console that's apparently coming? How about Nintendo's next console? Why aren't they part of your calculations? Why don't you have pricing models for both of those? Let me guess, those comparisons would be ridiculous!

And what straw man are you referring to? Please tell me which argument you never made that I argued against.

JRPGfan is the creator of this thread, so he should know best what his comparison is about.

The straw man argument is the second paragraph of your previous post. You created an ambiguous setup to represent my position, but its ambiguous nature is meant to turn things on me. For one, your straw man doesn't say that it is about one and the same gamer, and two, it doesn't state at which price point on average the two games a month are bought. This allows you to change the variables after the fact.

Yes, I know JRPGfan is the creator of this thread. That's your interpretation of what he wrote, and still your assumption that he was referring to PS5 and XBox Scarlett exclusively.

Look at you with your assumptions of nefarious tactics. Perhaps you should stop projecting so much.

Regardless of the accuracy my attempt to represent your position, it clearly wasn't a straw man because I didn't assume it was your position and I didn't argue against it. I simply asked you if the position I presented was your position. It appears you do not know what a straw man argument is. Perhaps you should put more consideration into your posts before making them.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
JRPGfan said:

Seems more than half of users here believe in stadia.... and a streaming future.
More positive reception than I thought it would be.

Actually I clicked "yes" thinking the question to your poll was the same as the title of this thread.

I wonder if some other people got caught just like me :P (Btw, my actual answer is no)

Hahahaha.... now that you mentioned it... yes it does seem the title & question are flipped.
Sorry for that.

Back to the original question, "doomed to fail" implies it has no chance of success. I would like to think we can all agree it has at least some degree of likelihood of success. It isn't going to be DoA.

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

Yes, I know JRPGfan is the creator of this thread. That's your interpretation of what he wrote, and still your assumption that he was referring to PS5 and XBox Scarlett exclusively.

Look at you with your assumptions of nefarious tactics. Perhaps you should stop projecting so much.

Regardless of the accuracy my attempt to represent your position, it clearly wasn't a straw man because I didn't assume it was your position and I didn't argue against it. I simply asked you if the position I presented was your position. It appears you do not know what a straw man argument is. Perhaps you should put more consideration into your posts before making them.

JRPGfan confirmed it again: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9029099

Let's just take a moment to marvel at how confident you are in your apparently poor reading comprehension. Did he or did he not list two other platforms that already exist that he feels Stadia is a competitor of, that you conveniently ignored in your "confirmation" that you did not do a pricing comparison to that were much more valid comparisons to make just like I was saying all along? Damn. This is like a flat earther doing an experiment that clearly points to the earth being a globe but because he doesn't have the knowledge or experience to interpret the results correctly, thinks it's actually evidence the earth is flat.

Also, nice dodge on your misunderstanding of "straw man argument".

Chrkeller said:
Back to the original question, "doomed to fail" implies it has no chance of success.
I would like to think we can all agree it has at least some degree of likelihood of success. It isn't going to be DoA.

Alright then, how many subscriptions that pay for the 4k mode, do you think it ll have?
Will its adoption rate be higher than say Xbox Two (people that buy the hardware)?

Your right its probably not Doa, atleast as long as they keep the 1080p = free usage.

Im not even sure what should be used to as a measureing stick, for success or failour at this point.
Running all these servers, that stream games has to be costly, same with bandwidth this will take.
Google must have faith that it can be profitable, since they launched it, and for that they ll need enough people to take the 4k subscriptions.

I guess by the end of next gen, we should know.
If stadia is still around, still has a growing user base, and has a game library akin to the PS5/XB2, and actually proves "it just works".
And its profitable at that point, Id have say that was a success story.

I still view it abit akin to a gamble.
You dont know for certain, its game library will be as good, that they wont change the subscription model (higher costs, no longer free at 1080p).
You dont know if they decide to pull games from servers (after a year or two, so you cant play something you "bought" there).

The point of the thread was probably just to see how many here would be willing to "jump in" so to speak.
Who believed in this model of doing things.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 28 June 2019

JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:
Back to the original question, "doomed to fail" implies it has no chance of success.
I would like to think we can all agree it has at least some degree of likelihood of success. It isn't going to be DoA.

Alright then, how many subscriptions that pay for the 4k mode, do you think it ll have?
Will its adoption rate be higher than say Xbox Two?

Your right its probably not Doa, atleast as long as they keep the 1080p = free usage.

I have no idea on subscription numbers, but by the end of 2020 I'd guess that Stadia will have had around 8-10m players. It's something that will grow with time, it's not going to explode, but it's going to consistently grow with every year.