By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AA games you really enjoyed?

mZuzek said:
Snoopy said:
Not sure if it counts, but Cuphead and Ori are must haves imo.

I don't think they do.

AA is hard to quantify, but I know I would rather play those games over most AAA SP games this generation.

Around the Network

I forgot about Ori. If we're counting that, it's probably tied with Captain Toad for me.

Cerebralbore101 said:

With the death of the 3DS AA games have become an endangered species.

Not in my book. If anything they're starting to make a comeback.

OT: A lot of the stuff coming out of Focus Home Interactive these days, such as A Plague Tale and Insurgency: Sandstorm. Mordhau also kicks ass if that qualifies as AA.

A couple such titles I've really enjoyed in the last couple years have been A Plague Tale: Innocence and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Just throwing those out there as recommendations.

All of them, except Justice For All. That was the low point of the Ace Attorney series.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

First and foremost it has to be Night In The Woods, my favourite game of all time. A few others of my favourite AA games are;

Stardew Valley
Hollow Knight
The Banner Saga Trilogy
Pyre
Inside
Celeste
Flower
Undertale
Transistor
Flipping Death
Donut Country
Cosmic Star Heroine
Oxenfree
Alone With You
GRIS
Va-11 Hall-a
The Gardens Between

Into The Breach 

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 15 June 2019

Ride The Chariot

I'm a bit iffy on the term "AA". To me that suggests just a step below AAA, so something like Splatoon 2 or Xenoblade 2.

A lot of games people label as "AA" I'd more call a "B" game.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

I'm a bit iffy on the term "AA". To me that suggests just a step below AAA, so something like Splatoon 2 or Xenoblade 2.

I'd easily qualify both of these as AAA though.

Though I already expect every definitions of "AAA" to be somewhat personal to each individual so there's no problem for anyone else to think otherwise.

But I digress, I'll give some diverse examples of what I think qualify to the "AA" rank :

- Fire Emblem 3DS games

- Octopath Traveler 

- Captain Toad

- Plague Tale

- Yoshi's Crafted World

- Super Mario 3D Land

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I'd easily qualify both of these as AAA though.

Though I already expect every definitions of "AAA" to be somewhat personal to each individual so there's no problem for anyone else to think otherwise.

But I digress, I'll give some diverse examples of what I think qualify to the "AA" rank :

- Fire Emblem 3DS games

- Octopath Traveler 

- Captain Toad

- Plague Tale

- Yoshi's Crafted World

- Super Mario 3D Land

All of those I would call AA games. In general if the core dev team is bigger than 15 people, or the budget is bigger than a hundred thousand, I would call it AA. I'm not sure what the average AAA budget is though. 

curl-6 said:

Agreed.  It seems like some people are using a definition that puts like 90% of all games in the AA category.  Like, if it isn't Call of Duty, or GTA, it must be AA.