By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey 2 will never happen

At its E3 Direct, Nintendo dropped a bombshell. A direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is in development for the Switch. Naturally, hype is off the charts. But prior to this, another Crown jewel of the Switch was also thought to get a sequel, Super Mario Odyssey. The thinking goes that since BotW is getting a sequel, Odyssey should get a sequel too. That logic is really flawed IMO. It makes sense for Breath to get a sequel because most Nintendo systems usually get at least 2 Zelda games to begin with, so naturally a sequel to Breath of the Wild isn't that surprising. Okay.... Well Galaxy got a sequel, ergo, Odyssey should get one too. Here's the thing, Galaxy 2 only happened because the team had more ideas than disc space for the original, and since the Wii didn't have the infrastructure for large scale DLC expansions, a sequel was necessary. If the team actually had more ideas in mind for Odyssey, we would've seen DLC expansions for it by now, but here we are, almost 2 years later, and the most we've gotten was some extra costumes and a Labo VR mode. It's safe to say that much like most 3D Marios before it, Odyssey is a one and done deal.

So yeah, no Odyssey sequel is coming as far as I'm concerned. What I think is more likely however, is a spiritual successor to 3D World. Odyssey was a smash hit, but I feel there's still a market for the more arcade, multiplayer-focused style of 3D Mario game, and thus a game like 3D World, but not necessarily a sequel to that game, is more likely than an Odyssey 2. It'd also be a good fit for the multiplayer focus of the Switch as well.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
...Or maybe, they do have more ideas and just wanted to make a sequel based on them rather than just DLC?

Maybe, but the question is, what's more to explore with Odyssey? Unlike Galaxy, Odyssey doesn't have much more room to explore for a potential sequel. This being Nintendo, they could always suprise me, But I doubt that an Odyssey 2 is what we'll be getting next. If anything, I feel there's far more potential in a 3D World successor.

Super Mario Odyssey 2 announced by January 2020, coming in October/November 2020. Would bet a month-long ban that it will happen

melbye said:

Super Mario Odyssey 2 announced by January 2020, coming in October/November 2020. Would bet a month-long ban that it will happen

Yeah, that's exactly my thought.

ALTHOUGH, I would LOVE to see them instead announce Super Mario Galaxy 3. Odyssey, IMO, felt a little flat... I want something more spherical =D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

RolStoppable said:

Another thread of yours with questionable reasoning.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was made because they wanted to make another game like it. That's basically all there was to it. That's what it will come down to in regards to a possible Super Mario Odyssey 2. If the team would rather work on something else, then that's what's going to happen.

My personal wish is that after all those 3D Mario games they've made, that they now have the ambition to work on a main series Mario game and deliver a title that bests Super Mario Bros. 3.

I  might also add that SMG left the story open to continue. SMG2 definitely not (

Spoiler!
the whole Mario Galaxy gets swallowed by a black hole

), and SMO's story is over, Peach chose

Spoiler!
neither of both

, which only leaves room for some sidequesting, but not really an entire new game. They probably could make one with the same mechanics, but the setting would need to change a bit and certainly would get a different name,

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 15 June 2019

Around the Network

I think we will see SM Galaxy 3 before we see 3dworld 2 or SMO 2.

Actually I feel the opposite. It will be released on Switch and it will either be released in holiday 2021 or holiday 2022 (whichever year that BotW2 does not land).

Nintendo needs at least one megaton game to land during the holiday season for those two years yet, and the reception to BotW and the first Odyssey games makes them a sure pick. This should already be a given, but the release of the PS5 and NextBox almost dictate it in this case. One could argue that Mario Kart could take it, but I have a feeling they are going to do that closer to the launch of Switch 2 (I feel spring 2023 if not holdiday 2023) as it suffers from the same thing Smash Ultimate does, where it already offers so much that they are going to need the extra time to get creative for a proper flow up.

The only way Odyssey 2 does not happen in my eyes is if they come totally out of left field and drop Galaxy 3 on us TBH. Either way mark my words...we WILL see another 3D Mario this generation.

Last edited by Shiken - on 15 June 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Never say never. There's a chance they will do a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey if they want to.

RolStoppable said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I  might also add that SMG left the story open to continue. SMG2 definitely not (

Spoiler!
the whole Mario Galaxy gets swallowed by a black hole

), and SMO's story is over, Peach chose

Spoiler!
neither of both

, which only leaves room for some sidequesting, but not really an entire new game. They probably could make one with the same mechanics, but the setting would need to change a bit and certainly would get a different name,

Right, story is an obstacle that could prevent a Mario game from being made. Totally. For real.

Considering that Peach has mastered the art of getting kidnapped and Bowser is the most persistent guy ever, the story merely has to feature a thought control device and Peach's upcoming marriage with Bowser is on again. Naturally, Bowser has to make it the most special day in history, so he'll travel different lands for souvenirs and all that.

And yes, it's that easy to get hired as writer by Nintendo.

Just a direct sequel would be killed by the story. And that's what SMO2 would be after all.

Like I said, a game with the same mechanics would be perfectly possible, it would just get a different name. And that's also what Nintendo does with that kind of things.

i think the next main mario game is going to launch with dare i say..  as a movie tie in....**gasp*** yup i said it