By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey 2 will never happen

Bofferbrauer2 said:
RolStoppable said:

Another thread of yours with questionable reasoning.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was made because they wanted to make another game like it. That's basically all there was to it. That's what it will come down to in regards to a possible Super Mario Odyssey 2. If the team would rather work on something else, then that's what's going to happen.

My personal wish is that after all those 3D Mario games they've made, that they now have the ambition to work on a main series Mario game and deliver a title that bests Super Mario Bros. 3.

I  might also add that SMG left the story open to continue. SMG2 definitely not (

Spoiler!
the whole Mario Galaxy gets swallowed by a black hole

), and SMO's story is over, Peach chose

Spoiler!
neither of both

, which only leaves room for some sidequesting, but not really an entire new game. They probably could make one with the same mechanics, but the setting would need to change a bit and certainly would get a different name,

Right, story is an obstacle that could prevent a Mario game from being made. Totally. For real.

Considering that Peach has mastered the art of getting kidnapped and Bowser is the most persistent guy ever, the story merely has to feature a thought control device and Peach's upcoming marriage with Bowser is on again. Naturally, Bowser has to make it the most special day in history, so he'll travel different lands for souvenirs and all that.

And yes, it's that easy to get hired as writer by Nintendo.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Never say never. There's a chance they will do a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey if they want to.

RolStoppable said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I  might also add that SMG left the story open to continue. SMG2 definitely not (

Spoiler!
the whole Mario Galaxy gets swallowed by a black hole

), and SMO's story is over, Peach chose

Spoiler!
neither of both

, which only leaves room for some sidequesting, but not really an entire new game. They probably could make one with the same mechanics, but the setting would need to change a bit and certainly would get a different name,

Right, story is an obstacle that could prevent a Mario game from being made. Totally. For real.

Considering that Peach has mastered the art of getting kidnapped and Bowser is the most persistent guy ever, the story merely has to feature a thought control device and Peach's upcoming marriage with Bowser is on again. Naturally, Bowser has to make it the most special day in history, so he'll travel different lands for souvenirs and all that.

And yes, it's that easy to get hired as writer by Nintendo.

Just a direct sequel would be killed by the story. And that's what SMO2 would be after all.

Like I said, a game with the same mechanics would be perfectly possible, it would just get a different name. And that's also what Nintendo does with that kind of things.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Like I said, a game with the same mechanics would be perfectly possible, it would just get a different name.

With Cappy?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Just a direct sequel would be killed by the story. And that's what SMO2 would be after all.

Like I said, a game with the same mechanics would be perfectly possible, it would just get a different name. And that's also what Nintendo does with that kind of things.

No, what Nintendo does is give games with different mechanics the same name.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

i think the next main mario game is going to launch with dare i say..  as a movie tie in....**gasp*** yup i said it

This is sort of flawed logic, because Super Mario 64 was supposed to have a sequel originally. And, Super Mario 3D World is basically a sequel to Land, even if it's not connected from a story standpoint or on the same system.

Tagging for next year.

mZuzek said:
...Or maybe, they do have more ideas and just wanted to make a sequel based on them rather than just DLC?

That's what I'm thinking.

No sequel to Super Mario World, no Sequel to Super Mario 64, no sequel to Super Mario Sunshine, no sequel to Super Mario 3D World, that's says a lot

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me