By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best FPS game of the 2000s

Serious Sam: TFE and TSE (basically two parts of the same game)

Lukaz0r said:
Unreal Tournament 2004, still one of the finest online shooters ever made IMO.

On my third spot, but only after I found out I could change the weapon graphics to UT2003 for the ASMD Shock Rifle - I hated the 2004 design and constantly mixed it up with the link gun.

Too bad I slowed down with the years, can't keep up anymore in that game.

Edit: Far Cry cames on the third spot for me.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 06 June 2019

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
7 whole posts about the best FPS games and no mention of Half-Life 2? How times have changed...

Personally, Half Life 2 for me is an above average shooter that happens to be a technical marvel for the time and innovative story telling. The game itself was good but not amazing. The gunplay was never the best and I didn't care for the MP.

Most people are probably thinking about game you can simply jump into have fun, not a linear story driven experience. That's why Halo games are strong contenders. You can jump into one of your favorite missions or time tested MP that still holds up really well. 

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

S.Peelman said:
Call of Duty. The original one.

I remember playing this game on PC when it was released, it was amazing.

Years later I tried replaying it on Xbox 360, I got so bored I never even finished it. Maybe I will continue my progress if it ever comes to X1 BC.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Borderlands, duh.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:
7 whole posts about the best FPS games and no mention of Half-Life 2? How times have changed...

Personally, Half Life 2 for me is an above average shooter that happens to be a technical marvel for the time and innovative story telling. The game itself was good but not amazing. The gunplay was never the best and I didn't care for the MP.

Most people are probably thinking about game you can simply jump into have fun, not a linear story driven experience. That's why Halo games are strong contenders. You can jump into one of your favorite missions or time tested MP that still holds up really well. 

As someone who played HL2 for the first time in 2016, I couldn't stand it. Got as far as that horrible, horrible boat escape that dragged on for like an hour before finally had to give up, it was just a tedious chore to me.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 June 2019

Around the Network

I'm not a fan of the genre but if hard pressed I'd say Operation NaPali.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Perfect dark on N64 followed by Medal of honour frontline than Call of duty IV

During that decade I played pretty much every FPS that was released and Half-Life 2 is so far ahead of the competition it's not even funny.

Best graphics at the time (with Far Cry)
Best storytelling in an FPS
amazing value (~14 hours singleplayer)
impressive physics engine
varied gameplay (puzzles, shooting, driving, platforming)
interesting characters
fantastic atmosphere
iconic soundfiles (weapons and suit)

Perfect in every single way.

Runner-up is probably Bioshock.

Last edited by Barozi - on 06 June 2019

Most influential, probably Halo Combat Evolved. My personal choice, Halo 2.

I loved F.E.A.R., and Modern Warfare is the obvious pick.