By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia conference with pricing, games, and release details set for June 6th at Noon EST/ 9 AM PST

Do you have to pay for the controller or can you just use the service as a streaming PC type thing with keyboard and mouse?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Different to what I thought it will be.

Thought it will cost like 20-30 bucks per month to stream every game wherever you want and maybe an option to pay less with an extra fee per game (but not full price)

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 06 June 2019

The Fury said:
Do you have to pay for the controller or can you just use the service as a streaming PC type thing with keyboard and mouse?

Not till 2020.

Lafiel said:
0D0 said:

It's a difficult proposition for the early adopter.

Imo the service (for now) focusses on people that just want to be able to play certain games at very high settings, but don't have a good PC or a current gen console.

So, can I play with mouse and controller on my Chrome browser? Without buying their hardware kit?

Edit: someone replied that seconds ago :)

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

The Fury said:

You can use any current controller, K&M or pay for the Stadia controller.

Around the Network

Yeesh. This is going to hit consoles hard next year. It basically makes it so you don't need any hardware to play the games you buy. Yes you need 20 MBPS to get 1080p 60 FPS, but... Casuals will happily play in 720p 60 FPS, or 1080 30 FPS if it saves them from spending $400-$500 on a new console. So in reality most people will be fine with 10 MBPS.

Not to mention, Trump's fucking Tariffs are going to makes consoles cost more as well.

This will also hit Steam a little. There are a sizable amount of people on steam who are just poor jokers with a sub base PS4 PC. It's probably about 20% of all active Steam accounts or something.

Actually owning your own hardware to play games on is going to become a little uncommon. Just like how owning physical games is a little uncommon now.

I really wasn't expecting them to offer up $10 a month for 4K/60 and free for 1080/60. That's just a really damned good price.

Xbox will get hit the hardest, because I'm sure MS will start streaming Gamepass to other devices, and then push Gamepass hard. So about 50% of XB1 users will just skip the XB2, and go right to streaming.

The only way I can see Google Stadia failing is if it lacks games. But seeing as how it's basically the perfect DRM that totally robs the consumer of any rights, I'm sure all the AAA companies will jump right on it.

Honestly, I was expecting this to be $30 a month to stream 1440p games or something. But being able to buy your own games, and changing the price to free changes everything.

Shadow1980 said:
I really, really hope this fails. Not because I have any particular ill will towards Google, mind you, but because the entire prospect of streaming games offends me at a gut level. I simply do not like that even single-player games are dependent on a constant internet connection. Your internet goes out? Can't play anything. The service's servers go down for any reason? Can't play anything. The entire concept of "offline play" completely ceases to exist in a streaming service. For physical and downloaded copies, offline play is still very possible for single-player experiences, and your progress in a level or mission won't suddenly come to a screeching halt because of a disruption to your internet connection or what have you.

Also, if a game is removed from a streaming service, it's gone, perhaps for good if it was removed over some rights issue. At least with digital downloads, if you have a title downloaded before it's delisted it stays on your hard drive. And with physical, a title that has gone out of print is still available for purchase through the second-hand market, which makes it even better when it comes to long-term availability of titles. Think of all the titles that have been pulled from digital storefronts over the years. Now, imagine those games being gone forever because streaming was the only way to play them.

Of all the possible ways of distributing games, streaming has the most weaknesses and fewest strengths by far. I hope it does not succeed in the long run, because I don't want even the slightest possibility of it being the only way to play games in the future.

Agreed. It's funny how people had their pitchforks out not even seven years ago over XB1 needing to check in on you every 24 hours. Now though, people are going to jump right on Stadia, with all it's DRM and anti-consumer crap, without even blinking an eye. The times, they are a changin. :(

This will be DOA.

While I dont fully believe this will bomb miracously, this wont be anywhere near the success google wants it to be.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Cerebralbore101 said:
Yeesh. This is going to hit consoles hard next year. It basically makes it so you don't need any hardware to play the games you buy.

It's like PS Now doesn't exist.

Hmm, pie.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Yeesh. This is going to hit consoles hard next year. It basically makes it so you don't need any hardware to play the games you buy. Yes you need 20 MBPS to get 1080p 60 FPS, but... Casuals will happily play in 720p 60 FPS, or 1080 30 FPS if it saves them from spending $400-$500 on a new console. So in reality most people will be fine with 10 MBPS.

Not to mention, Trump's fucking Tariffs are going to makes consoles cost more as well.

This will also hit Steam a little. There are a sizable amount of people on steam who are just poor jokers with a sub base PS4 PC. It's probably about 20% of all active Steam accounts or something.

Actually owning your own hardware to play games on is going to become a little uncommon. Just like how owning physical games is a little uncommon now.

I really wasn't expecting them to offer up $10 a month for 4K/60 and free for 1080/60. That's just a really damned good price.

Xbox will get hit the hardest, because I'm sure MS will start streaming Gamepass to other devices, and then push Gamepass hard. So about 50% of XB1 users will just skip the XB2, and go right to streaming.

The only way I can see Google Stadia failing is if it lacks games. But seeing as how it's basically the perfect DRM that totally robs the consumer of any rights, I'm sure all the AAA companies will jump right on it.

Honestly, I was expecting this to be $30 a month to stream 1440p games or something. But being able to buy your own games, and changing the price to free changes everything.

I think Xbox gamers that do go the streaming route will use Microsoft's service xCloud. They will be able to stream the games they already own digitally from OG Xbox, Xbox 360 m and Xbox One.