Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Kart racer of all time

I choose...

Mario Kart 8 37 61.67%

Crash Team Racing 8 13.33%

Sonic Racing Transformed 3 5.00%

Another Mario Kart 8 13.33%

Another non-Mario Kart racer 4 6.67%

Total:60

Well, Wacky Wheels was my first love. Didn't knew back then this was a Mario Kart clone, I didn't play console.

But today Mario Kart is quite great, and MK8 combines pretty much all good things.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

My favorite is still Muppets Racemania from PS1.

Mario Kart 8 by a long mile.

S.Peelman said:

Objectively Mario Kart 8. Subjectively Mario Kart 64, but even though it’s genuinly still good that’s one of the only games I’ll admit is my favorite simply due to nostalgia; it just means too much to me.

I'd say this is pretty close to my feelings on the subject. In terms of polish and amount of content, MK8D wins hands down. But in terms of its importance to me, MK64 rates higher. I spent so much time in the late 90s playing that game, and despite the relative lack of content and the rough edges, judging it by the standards of the time it was still a superb game, one that was and still is incredibly fun. It was one of the defining games of my teenage years.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Mnementh said:

Well, Wacky Wheels was my first love. Didn't knew back then this was a Mario Kart clone, I didn't play console.

But today Mario Kart is quite great, and MK8 combines pretty much all good things.

Thinking about it, I came up with a bit more to the topic. While the point stands, that MK8 is the most accomplished Kart Racer, there were some Racers that were quite fun and were going in another direction.

A friend of mine is a Sonic fan and got a Sonic collection on one console (probably Wii). I am not a Sonic fan, but on game was particularly fun for me:

Sonic R is not really a Kart racer in the sense (obviously missing the Karts). But for me gameplay is quite similar to a Kart Racer and it is a lot of fun. The sense of speed feels just right.

Another thing missing these days is MicroMachines:

Also not exactly a Kart racer. But it was great fun to race about desks and in multiplayer the way you lose by falling out of the screen was great.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Sixteenvolt420 said:
My favorite is still Muppets Racemania from PS1.

Wow someone knows the game!!!  Loved the game aswell. Did so many things right ^^'.   

I think the remastered CTR will be my favourite kart racer, they added so many extra things and even the costumes look amazing.

Not sure about the best, but my favourties were Double Dash and Mickey's Speedway USA. These days kids want to play MK8 most of the times, so that's mostly what we play (good game, though I dislike some of its tracks that swirl too much and really hate friendly fire in team multiplayer).

Diddy Kong Racing, it was leagues ahead of MK64 IMO.
A personal favourite of mine is South Park Rally, the Dreamcast version. I'm actually replaying it at the moment and its still great.

But MK8D takes the crown followed closely by Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed.

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed! It is my favourite racing game ever! The speed is great, the controls, drifting feels so much better than in any Mario Kart. I prefer the roster as well in Sonic. The music is also so great. The main campaign is so much fun to play either solo or with friends. I'd honestly still be playing it if there was a port for Switch, as I don't fire up the Wii U these days. I'm hoping Team Sonic Racing is a good follow up, though I do not expect it to match SRT

1doesnotsimply

Mario Kart 7 was my favourite Kart game on the 3DS.
Followed by Mario Kart 64 and than Double Dash.