By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look at PS5 vs PS4 Pro performance test

Barozi said:
I could still see some buildings popping in.
Thing is, the comparison is a bit off. That's what the PS5 could do ... using the same graphical settings as the PS4 does.
That won't happen though since devs are going to push the PS5 which will then lead to longer loading times.

Looking back, how much have loading times improved throughout the generations? Answer: not much.

I guess it really depends on how the hardware is utilized. In terms of the ability to load data off of a piece of physical storage, these times have increased dramatically over the years, but there becomes a point where waiting for a game to load becomes unacceptable and a game "loses points" because of it. I think this amount of time has decreased over the years. During the PS1 era I had a pinball game that took (from my probably skewed memory) about five minutes to load a small pinball map.

But if you look at Nintendo, they seem to minimize load times very well in most of their games. Some games have them, while others load fast enough that it doesn't warrant a load screen in itself.

As a kid, I always thought the Gamecube had such fast loading times because the disks were small, and I made those assumptions based on playing games on both systems and noticing that Nintendo games didn't seem to require loading.

But circling back to your point, I totally agree. Similarly, it bugs me when people say "will next gen be able to handle 60 FPS", when that is a meaningless metric to determine the power of a system. The NES had games run at 60 FPS.

Around the Network
0D0 said:

As long as it's better than Witcher 3's, I'll be glad.

When I compare Witcher 3 with Horizon Zero Dawn, on PS4 Pro, it's quite nuts.

Although it's a current generation game, it's still a comparison. We can see, based on that current generation game, how much faster is the loading times. Even though next generation games will be heavier than that, it's still a technical comparison.

Witcher 3 should not be played on a console, and this goes especially so for people that like to utilize quick save. I almost missed out on the game because of this.

RaptorChrist said:
0D0 said:

As long as it's better than Witcher 3's, I'll be glad.

When I compare Witcher 3 with Horizon Zero Dawn, on PS4 Pro, it's quite nuts.

Although it's a current generation game, it's still a comparison. We can see, based on that current generation game, how much faster is the loading times. Even though next generation games will be heavier than that, it's still a technical comparison.

Witcher 3 should not be played on a console, and this goes especially so for people that like to utilize quick save. I almost missed out on the game because of this.

I'm playing it on ps4 pro and enjoying, my only complain is load times after death.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I can hear lots of talk about PS5 and Anaconda, but i barely see talks about lockheart.
What you guys think about the performance Lockhart vs ps5 vs Anaconda?
Imho, i think lockhart will be very far behind ps5 and Anaconda will be just a small boost over ps5.
Also, i think the "no loading" is just amazing and all next gen console must do this.

HollyGamer said:
sethnintendo said:
What are the rumored specs on PS5 again?

8 core zen 2 at 3.2 Ghz

AMD Navi at 12 to 14 teraflop (GPU clock undecided)  

24 GB GDDR6 (4 Gb reserved for OS and other purpose )

SSD

BD drive

backward compatibility with PS4 digital and physical and with PSVR  

VR support build inside

support 8k

Ray Tracing capable

3D audio 

this all from the pastebin newest leek 

Well shit looks better than my computer.  This will come in consumer friendly price of 400 or 500?  Thank god for mass manufacturing.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
HollyGamer said:

8 core zen 2 at 3.2 Ghz

AMD Navi at 12 to 14 teraflop (GPU clock undecided)  

24 GB GDDR6 (4 Gb reserved for OS and other purpose )

SSD

BD drive

backward compatibility with PS4 digital and physical and with PSVR  

VR support build inside

support 8k

Ray Tracing capable

3D audio 

this all from the pastebin newest leek 

Well shit looks better than my computer.  This will come in consumer friendly price of 400 or 500?  Thank god for mass manufacturing.

I would bet that Sony will price it 400-450

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:
Yeah. Not actually that big of a deal that they make it out to be... Just like the Power of the Cell.

There are plenty of ways to side-step the issue of storage speeds, we have been dealing with it for decades after all.
Compression, Mesh/Texture Streaming, Longer Load Times into larger DRAM buffers, Procedural Generation... List goes on.

NAND certainly has it's advantages when leveraged right, especially in asset streaming and load times, but usually game engines are engineered to deal with the lowest common denominator... And that is mechanical storage.
Next gen I would assume that developers will still need to keep in mind for mechanical storage on console (External) and PC.

And for 20 years loading time have been high and in some cases dreadfull - looking at you GTA.

So a faster SSD instead of a slow HDD is a great improvement.

For Sony 1st parties they won't have any need to look at mechanical storage or PC from how what Cerny is pitching so far.

Not for me they haven't! To be fair... The disk drives in consoles for the last 10+ years have been dreadful.. Even the 8th generation tended to rely on extremely low-end, slow and cheap mechanical drives rather than faster 7200rpm variants.

I am not saying an SSD isn't going to be great improvement... People are just overhyping it to be something it's not, I have been using SSD's since they came out on the market and were based around SLC NAND, it's an old technology to me at this point.

lansingone said:

This certainly could be just marketing fluff in top of nothing more than a regular SSD being put into the machine, but I will wait and see before calling it just that. What has me really curious here is that even though they did cherry pick a game that already has really quick load times so that they could achieve a load time less than a second, they did so by a 9X increase in speed. Out of curiosity I looked through several video comparisons of games loading on SSD, and while there were a few bad ones that only got a 1.5X boost, the best range was around a 3.5x boost. To me this says one of 2 things. Either there is some special hardware solution, or (this is sort of answering your question), this game was modified to run differently so that it could load faster.

Load times are here to stay.

The Switch even with solid state storage/ROM still has load times.

HollyGamer said:

Many games built based on mechanical drive, games like Assassin's Creed , GTA, Red Dead Redemption are obviously still using loading phase but it was hidden in the gameplay. Even game like The witcher 3 still has loading screen . I am using a Nvme  SSD but it still has 3 to 4 second on loading time. SSD is faster on loading startup screen on windows and PC OS , also for cinema bench and video editing,  but on gaming it's still the same and you obviously lie if you say no loading screen it still have loading time it' s just slightly faster.  Just look at this article https://www.pcgamer.com/how-do-ssds-affect-gaming-performance/

also read this https://techguided.com/ssd-vs-hdd-gaming/. That is the SSD for PC, PC gamer has been using SSD but none of the benefit of the SSD can be implemented on PC because all developer is just thinking like you, just for boating and caching . It will be different if all games are meant to be build using SSD. watch this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

Btw blast processing on Sega is real actually and the cell also real, for the cloud it's also real but it was translated differently and it was not meant for graphic enhancement but for procedural and persistent physic. 

Not really telling me anything I don't know...

I am not saying Blast Processing, Cell or the Cloud wasn't "real". - They are all technologies that fundamentally exist.
The contention point is that people made those aspects to be something they aren't in order to try and assert their platform choice to be the superior technical choice... When in reality, those technologies didn't really give any particular platform such an edge that it was impossible to run on another platform with similar results.

PC also does benefit from an SSD, in-fact it's baked right into Windows, Game Engines and API's. - Need me to provide some examples?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

HollyGamer said:

Many games built based on mechanical drive, games like Assassin's Creed , GTA, Red Dead Redemption are obviously still using loading phase but it was hidden in the gameplay. Even game like The witcher 3 still has loading screen . I am using a Nvme  SSD but it still has 3 to 4 second on loading time. SSD is faster on loading startup screen on windows and PC OS , also for cinema bench and video editing,  but on gaming it's still the same and you obviously lie if you say no loading screen it still have loading time it' s just slightly faster.  Just look at this article https://www.pcgamer.com/how-do-ssds-affect-gaming-performance/

also read this https://techguided.com/ssd-vs-hdd-gaming/. That is the SSD for PC, PC gamer has been using SSD but none of the benefit of the SSD can be implemented on PC because all developer is just thinking like you, just for boating and caching . It will be different if all games are meant to be build using SSD. watch this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

Btw blast processing on Sega is real actually and the cell also real, for the cloud it's also real but it was translated differently and it was not meant for graphic enhancement but for procedural and persistent physic. 

I am not saying Blast Processing, Cell or the Cloud wasn't "real". - They are all technologies that fundamentally exist.
The contention point is that people made those aspects to be something they aren't in order to try and assert their platform choice to be the superior technical choice... When in reality, those technologies didn't really give any particular platform such an edge that it was impossible to run on another platform with similar results.

PC also does benefit from an SSD, in-fact it's baked right into Windows, Game Engines and API's. - Need me to provide some examples?

I think you just stalling the discussion, there has not been any change or whatsoever on PC ssd for past years "FOR GAMES SO FAR ". When you say "API" yes , they have gaming API ready available for PC for long time, but the discussion is about how game developer " utilize it " inside their game engine and their "games" , nit just inside gaming API. Console will make it different it will just be an API it will be for real realize for sure in reality. It will become mainstream thanks to console. like always is tech will improve if it's benefit more people (mainstream)  rather than small group of people (high end user ). 

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

I think you just stalling the discussion, there has not been any change or whatsoever on PC ssd for past years "FOR GAMES SO FAR ". When you say "API" yes , they have gaming API ready available for PC for long time, but the discussion is about how game developer " utilize it " inside their game engine and their "games" , nit just inside gaming API. Console will make it different it will just be an API it will be for real realize for sure in reality. It will become mainstream thanks to console. like always is tech will improve if it's benefit more people (mainstream)  rather than small group of people (high end user ). 

There has been tons of changes on the PC over the past several year in regards to how it sees storage, Windows Vista and Windows 7 brought a slew of improvements to that end... And Windows 10 took it a step farther.

Direct X's Virtual Texturing also takes full advantage of solid state storage... And there is one engine in particular that leverages that technology extensively.

The point you don't seem to understand is that the storage medium isn't going to change how games operate or run or how they are even developed, there are fundamental design principles that need to be adhered to for various reasons at all levels.

If a game relies more heavily on the streaming of assets, then an SSD can provide a substantial advantage... But a completely new gaming experience it will not bring.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

There has been tons of changes on the PC over the past several year in regards to how it sees storage, Windows Vista and Windows 7 brought a slew of improvements to that end... And Windows 10 took it a step farther.

Direct X's Virtual Texturing also takes full advantage of solid state storage... And there is one engine in particular that leverages that technology extensively.

The point you don't seem to understand is that the storage medium isn't going to change how games operate or run or how they are even developed, there are fundamental design principles that need to be adhered to for various reasons at all levels.

If a game relies more heavily on the streaming of assets, then an SSD can provide a substantial advantage... But a completely new gaming experience it will not bring.

I am not talking about API , OS or other application. I agree PC has been using SSD for a long time, and more and more OS , API are utilizing SSD (but that also was a recent change).  We were discussing about actual games that benefit from SSD on PC. the answer is no there is none .