By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I Use Review Aggregates like Opencritic/Gamerankings

Cerebralbore101 said:

Soon my backlog grew though, and I came to another realization. I couldn't possibly play every good game on the planet. There just wasn't time. I decided to limit myself to the greats. 

I pretty much do this in combination with games that REALLY interest me otherwise and I can buy for cheap. I have so many games from 8 generations now that I haven't gotten around to playing yet. I'm not going to spend good money and time on a middle-of-the-road title unless it is absolutely "my thing" content-wise.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I can't find a single non-sports game above 84 on Opencritic that I would consider to be bad. What didn't you like that got high eighties?

P.S. The first game of the Arland trilogy sits on my shelf waiting to be played. I'll get to it as soon as I've had my fill of Into the Breach. 

Dead Cells and Enter the Gungeon are awful games. Especially the former is a mystery, because its score should be docked significantly for its technical performance alone; that's on Switch, but that version is rated like the other versions.

I haven't played Dead Cells yet, but what didn't you like about Enter the Gungeon? I played it on Switch, but that was way way after launch, so the performance issues must have been ironed out by then. 

I admit that the rogue-like genre is a bit flawed in that the randomness can sometimes screw you over. But that's kind of like criticizing rpgs because they have turn based battles. 

John2290 said:

^Probably the most insightful comment I've ever seen from Rol. Completely agreed. EDIT: The first reply, not the dead cells comment, I completely disavow calling dead cells an awful game.

@cerebralbore101 You really are doing yourself a diservice, Aggregate scores stopped being useful three or four years ago and like you said, you are already filtering games out so why not go that extra mile and research games on an individual basis, it sounds like a pain but it can actually be quite enjoyable and has a high success rate. Cutting games off at a solid score like 78 (or even 80) is ridiculous with modern aggregates and the pool of reviewers that they pull from. May I suggest though, if you are dead set on using aggregates to define your gaming schedule, take the critic score and the user review and find split the difference, as long as the game isn't being bombed for controversial reasons this score is, albeit not ideal, slightly more useful than the critic score.

Just to name one game that you have locked yourself out by teo points is GT sport which is PHENOMENAL. There are probably loads more but I can't think off the top of my head, infamous first light was a 70, The sniper elite games are always tilting that line.

But whatever gets ya through, funds and time are obviously a factor and I can see the merits of wanting to play the best of the best but it's such a waste, like only eating at four star restaurant's and never getting to bite into your local pizza places special or some KFC. This is why AA games are dying and we can only have indies or AAA games with the later often failing for reaching beyond their means and ability. Pity.

Well I'm sitting at work with nothing to do all day, so I kind of do research games extensively. If Days Gone winds up being something I fall in love with, I'll adopt that method over using aggregates. Interestingly enough, most games that fail to score within my cuttoff point weren't things I was interested in anyway. I think user reviews are probably the worst thing on the internet. The only exception would be steam, since people have to have at least bought the game in order to review it. I dream of one day making a user-review website that asks for your XBL/PSN/Steam accounts, and then only lets you review a game if you have earned at least 25% of achievements/trophies for said game. And even then I would limit people to giving one 10 per year, five 9's, five 8's, one 0, etc. That way there are way less user reviews that read like "10/10 IT HAD JUMPING AND CLIMBING", and "0/10 IT DIDN"T HAVE GUNS!"

Review aggregators are great if your taste is the same as everyone else's.

For a highly subjective medium like video games aggregators completely defeat the purpose of reviews. The point of reviews is to get the opinion of people you trust and know have similar tastes as you, so you are better informed. Adhering to people I don't trust or don't care about is absolute disinformation and I'd be advised to not listen to them if I want to make an informed decision.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Caring about game reviews scores will only hurt your game experience in life.

People who think that 7/10 games aren't good just haven't played any bad games.
I'm sure there exist people who only played legendary games and once they start playing 9/10 games they will complain how shitty they are. At the same time there are kids who grew up with nothing but Carnival Games, Deca Sports, Game Party and other Wii shovelware and they will go ape shit once they play a game like Days Gone.

So yeah, 7/10 games are good and fun but with a few flaws. 5/10 and 6/10 games are very much playable but will certainly be boring after a while.
Everything below that has major issues.

The reason why 7/10 is considered bad is because the general quality of games is pretty high. A 7/10 game is nothing special. Gameplay not as good as comparable games, may not be as impressive looking as other games, story has been done before etc.. That's why many games receive a score like that. Something under 5/10 is a lot rarer because most companies would cancel a game like that way in advance or invest more time and money to get it above 5/10.

Around the Network

Most games are decently functional these days so they should be getting at least a passing score which would be a minimum of a 7 like in school/college. It's only everything after that is much harder to get and it makes sense. If a game has little to no glitches, decent pacing, decent gameplay that's functional and fun (doesn't need to be amazing or anything) has at least ok production values either based on art or graphical proficiency a minimum of a 7 it should get.

But that being said it feels like this generation in the 80s are where it's at. I'm enjoying far more games that hit in the 80s than the 90s.

Lube Me Up

That's a flawed logic to go by because unless you personally try a game to see if you like it, than basing everything off a score is obsolete.

Iv played games in the 80s and 90s which I never really liked yet iv played games in the 60s and 70s and liked them.

There are a lot of gamers on this site who actually enjoy Days Gone (72) to say you don't like it based off its rating is well.. wrong.

I loved playing Homeworld Deserts of Kharak which sits on a 79, it doesn't need to be a 9 to catch my interests and if I went with a similar logic to yours, I would have missed that gem.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 13 May 2019

What a load of tosh, the guy above me is somewhat right.

If it's below 9.8, I don't play it.

That's how to read metacritc

9.7 - crap
9.8 - somewhat good
9.9 - good
10 - very good.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Barozi said:
People who think that 7/10 games aren't good just haven't played any bad games.
I'm sure there exist people who only played legendary games and once they start playing 9/10 games they will complain how shitty they are. At the same time there are kids who grew up with nothing but Carnival Games, Deca Sports, Game Party and other Wii shovelware and they will go ape shit once they play a game like Days Gone.

So yeah, 7/10 games are good and fun but with a few flaws. 5/10 and 6/10 games are very much playable but will certainly be boring after a while.
Everything below that has major issues.

The reason why 7/10 is considered bad is because the general quality of games is pretty high. A 7/10 game is nothing special. Gameplay not as good as comparable games, may not be as impressive looking as other games, story has been done before etc.. That's why many games receive a score like that. Something under 5/10 is a lot rarer because most companies would cancel a game like that way in advance or invest more time and money to get it above 5/10.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a truly bad game. Being spoiled all day with 8/10's and 9/10's will do that. 

Azzanation said:

That's a flawed logic to go by because unless you personally try a game to see if you like it, than basing everything off a score is obsolete.

Iv played games in the 80s and 90s which I never really liked yet iv played games in the 60s and 70s and liked them.

There are a lot of gamers on this site who actually enjoy Days Gone (72) to say you don't like it based off its rating is well.. wrong.

I loved playing Homeworld Deserts of Kharak which sits on a 79, it doesn't need to be a 9 to catch my interests and if I went with a similar logic to yours, I would have missed that gem.

I've also played games in the 80's and 90's that I never really liked. I'm not saying that something in the 80's and 90's is a must buy for everyone. Depending on the genre you might not like it. For example, I'll never like Forza or post Reach Halo. 

I don't know whether or not I like Days Gone or not. I haven't played it. I said earlier in this thread that I'm going to buy it and try it out. 

John2290 said:
Rage 2 has hit a 76, I'm curious Cerebral, How are you going to judge this? Is it an instant write off now that it is two points below you're tsrget score or how will you handle it, presuming you are interested yo begin with. Lets say you are interested for the sake of it, I'm genuinly curious. I'm having a hard time judging myself as my FPS reviewers are mixed on different points regarding the console versions.

I was never interested in Rage 2. Not one bit. FPS games hardly interest me anymore. I think I've bought 5 FPS or 3rd Person Shooter games in the last ten years. And that's counting games like Splatoon and Splatoon 2. I hate FPS, but I was willing to give Nintendo's take on it a try. 

Oh, and games with FPS elements but other factors are fine for me. Fallout and Dishonored are fine. If it's a pure military or adventure FPS though I almost certainly won't be interested.