By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I Use Review Aggregates like Opencritic/Gamerankings

John2290 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a truly bad game. Being spoiled all day with 8/10's and 9/10's will do that. 

I've also played games in the 80's and 90's that I never really liked. I'm not saying that something in the 80's and 90's is a must buy for everyone. Depending on the genre you might not like it. For example, I'll never like Forza or post Reach Halo. 

I don't know whether or not I like Days Gone or not. I haven't played it. I said earlier in this thread that I'm going to buy it and try it out. 

I was never interested in Rage 2. Not one bit. FPS games hardly interest me anymore. I think I've bought 5 FPS or 3rd Person Shooter games in the last ten years. And that's counting games like Splatoon and Splatoon 2. I hate FPS, but I was willing to give Nintendo's take on it a try. 

Oh, and games with FPS elements but other factors are fine for me. Fallout and Dishonored are fine. If it's a pure military or adventure FPS though I almost certainly won't be interested. 

Lets just say it is a game you are interested in, what would you do at 76? Where do I go now for example? At 76 it is two points short... do I just slap it off the list or what?

My original cutoff point was 80/100. I went for 78 to allow for some leeway, for various reasons. If a game gets 78 or 79 and it's something I'm really, really, interested in I'll still pick it up. But a 76 is almost always a no go for me.

Days Gone is the one exception to this for the entire year. The game looks really good to me, and I can't understand why it got the reviews it got. Even the Easy Allies, and Destructoid reviews (which are my top two trusted reviewers), couldn't convince me that it was a 6 (Destructoid), or a 7.5 (Easy Allies). 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

I've also played games in the 80's and 90's that I never really liked. I'm not saying that something in the 80's and 90's is a must buy for everyone. Depending on the genre you might not like it. For example, I'll never like Forza or post Reach Halo. 

I don't know whether or not I like Days Gone or not. I haven't played it. I said earlier in this thread that I'm going to buy it and try it out. 

---

So now i am alittle confused and curious at the same time.

So you liked past Halo games  but now stand firm on saying you won't like any post Halo Reach games.. so your post is about playing only the top rated games to now you are saying it doesn't matter because you simply won't like some games even if they come out as masterpieces.. there needs to be alittle consistently here.

Why wont you like post Halo Reach game's? Even if its just as goodas pre Halo Reach games.

Its rather you only play the top rated games or you dont. The moment you are flexible with your decision makes your entire post pointless.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 14 May 2019

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

So now i am alittle confused and curious at the same time.

So you liked past Halo games  but now stand firm on saying you won't like any post Halo Reach games.. so your post is about playing only the top rated games to now you are saying it doesn't matter because you simply won't like some games even if they come out as masterpieces.. there needs to be alittle consistently here.

Why wont you like post Halo Reach game's? Even if its just as goodas pre Halo Reach games.

Its rather you only play the top rated games or you dont. The moment you are flexible with your decision makes your entire post pointless.

You don't have to have done all of the things in a category to say that you only do things in a certain category. For example: Platinum Games only makes video games. Just because they haven't made every video game ever, doesn't disqualify them from that. Just because I haven't played every top rated video game ever, doesn't disqualify me from saying I only play top rated games. 

But you are right when it comes to me buying and playing Days Gone. I'm breaking my own rule here. But that's just me putting my own ideas to the test. I expect to like Days Gone, but not love it. If I do wind up loving it, I'll completely change my ideas about limiting myself only to top rated games. 

As far as not liking Halo goes, I'm just burnt out on the genre. I was never really a huge fan of it to begin with. (Well, except for the first Halo. That game is a classic IMO.)  Bungie isn't working on it anymore, so it would be like buying a 3D Platforming Mario game not made by Nintendo's core team. Add to that, that I'd have to get a Windows Store account to play it, and then buy a digital-only DRM copy, just to play a game that I know is the same old thing Halo has been for years... Yeah, I'd rather not. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 14 May 2019

Cerebralbore101 said:

Azzanation said:

You don't have to have done all of the things in a category to say that you only do things in a certain category. For example: Platinum Games only makes video games. Just because they haven't made every video game ever, doesn't disqualify them from that. Just because I haven't played every top rated video game ever, doesn't disqualify me from saying I only play top rated games. 

But you are right when it comes to me buying and playing Days Gone. I'm breaking my own rule here. But that's just me putting my own ideas to the test. I expect to like Days Gone, but not love it. If I do wind up loving it, I'll completely change my ideas about limiting myself only to top rated games. 

As far as not liking Halo goes, I'm just burnt out on the genre. I was never really a huge fan of it to begin with. (Well, except for the first Halo. That game is a classic IMO.)  Bungie isn't working on it anymore, so it would be like buying a 3D Platforming Mario game not made by Nintendo's core team. Add to that, that I'd have to get a Windows Store account to play it, and then buy a digital-only DRM copy, just to play a game that I know is the same old thing Halo has been for years... Yeah, I'd rather not. 

---

Thats understandable. I just play what interests me. If i feel like a Zombie game ill buy one like i did with Dead Rising 3 and Dying Light. All not criticality acclaimed but fun as hell games.

As for Halo, i agree getting burnt out of a genre is common. I was burnt out playing Halo 5. But its been almost 5 years. Cases like that i miss the story and want to see what happens next much like Star Wars, seeing Episode 8 wasnt amazing but ill still be there for Episode 9. As for Bungie moving on and 343i taking over, we are not talking about some 3rd party company taking over, 343i is like Turn 10 which has the passion and fans to make the franchise great. Alot different as lets say playing a Mario game made by Capcom as just as example.