By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What's Your Favorite Music Format?

What's Your Favorite Music Format?

Online Streaming 16 34.78%

CDs 13 28.26%

MP3 13 28.26%

Vinyl Records 2 4.35%

Cassette Tapes 0 0%

8-Track 0 0%

Other 2 4.35%

Total:46

Digital and streaming. Loved having my iPod Classic and taking it everywhere with my music. With it now being dead for a while, I opted to build my playlist on Spotify.

Around the Network

I really only use downloads and streaming.

I like CDs more, I like the hardware and the physical CD/case itself and they have a nostalgic quality but it's just less convenient.

I'd say 95-98% of the music I listen to is streaming/digital radio.
The other 2-5% is music videos.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

CD's or FM Radio, since I only listen to music in my car and don't have a mobile phone to stream anything to. 91.5 The Beat aired from Kitchener ON is pretty much what the radio is always tuned on. I have to go to record stores nowadays to buy CDs, I'm back in the eighties! Vinyl has a bigger section than CD, crazy. What else is crazy is that my favorite genre, 80's / 90's techno trance, is mostly vinyl albums mixed on CD.... Those pops, crackles and hiss sound just the same on CD.

Best music is on blu-ray, 7.1 DTS-HD MA, specifically mixed to make full use of surround, can't beat that. But too bad, not much available in that format. The music at the end credits of movies sure sounds good. Movies like Tron Legacy are really only good because of the music. Yet then I bought a CD from Daft Punk and it just sounds flat, no 7.1 DTS-HD MA.

Music videos.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

My favorite format (or should I say place) is Youtube...

Though technically speaking it's not about it being my favorite, it's just that it's very easy to use and completely non committal for me. Also there is a huge choice on Youtube.

I can't for the life of me understand that some people pay a subscription to services like Spotify when you can hear pretty much anything (with the added bonus of video) on Youtube AND for free.

Never paid for music.
Use Spotify

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
Never paid for music.
Use Spotify

Well, isn't Spotify a paying service? At least I think it is.

Vinyl is easily the best thing regarding listening quality, though obviously it’s not really the most convenient. Streaming for convenience and out-of-the-house listening; vinyl for if I really want to sit down for music. Radio in the car because my car isn’t advanced enough for anything else, besides CDs but that sucks.

S.Peelman said:
Vinyl is easily the best thing regarding listening quality, though obviously it’s not really the most convenient. Streaming for convenience and out-of-the-house listening; vinyl for if I really want to sit down for music. Radio in the car because my car isn’t advanced enough for anything else, besides CDs but that sucks.

I've heard this before but I've never understood that claim that vinyl is superior quality-wise. How is something going Scrrrshshhhhshhhhh... in the background considered superior sound? Also it's stereo sound at best (mono very often) so how is that better than clean surround multi-speaker 24-bit, DTS etc, sound that can be produced with digital recordings?