By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat Developer Diagnosed with PTSD

sethnintendo said:

Put him in the trenches during WW1 and then he can experience true shell shock.  Swear people these days would get ptsd from watching WW2 footage.

Getting PTSD from war... Or getting PTSD from seeing someone being beheaded... Or getting PTSD from any number of reasons is no less or worse than each other, it's still PTSD... And it's still something that can have far reaching effects for an individual and those around them.

The "snowflake" mentality that you are adhering to isn't really helpful for those in need or those affected and is part of the problem of why so many people don't seek help when they actually should regardless of field they are in.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
sethnintendo said:

Put him in the trenches during WW1 and then he can experience true shell shock.  Swear people these days would get ptsd from watching WW2 footage.

Getting PTSD from war... Or getting PTSD from seeing someone being beheaded... Or getting PTSD from any number of reasons is no less or worse than each other, it's still PTSD... And it's still something that can have far reaching effects for an individual and those around them.

The "snowflake" mentality that you are adhering to isn't really helpful for those in need or those affected and is part of the problem of why so many people don't seek help when they actually should regardless of field they are in.

I have more sympathy from someone getting it from real life event than someone watching or looking at something disturbing.

Had a friend for almost 19 years and finally had to ditch him.  He started getting panic attack three years ago supposedly because he would look at disturbing cases while working at the DA office.  He eventually had to quit his job and move back with his parents.  He is going on year 3 just drinking everyday and hasn't worked at all the entire time.  I tried to hang out with him (usually just drinking) and cheer him up to get motivated to being a normal adult again.  Now when he is approaching pretty much 3 years and will prob go on 4 I had to just ditch him.  He wasn't getting better and at end started talking shit to me because I was calling out his shit situation.  You can only give a person so much time before you deem them worthless.  He has 5 self help books though which he is supposedly reading!  He really just needs to go to rehab.  Those self help books obviously don't help shit.

sethnintendo said:

I have more sympathy from someone getting it from real life event than someone watching or looking at something disturbing.

Hopefully you never get PTSD and require help only to have no help available.
No one "wants" to get PTSD.

Everyone has a different level of tolerance to horrific images.

sethnintendo said:

Had a friend for almost 19 years and finally had to ditch him.  He started getting panic attack three years ago supposedly because he would look at disturbing cases while working at the DA office.  He eventually had to quit his job and move back with his parents.  He is going on year 3 just drinking everyday and hasn't worked at all the entire time.  I tried to hang out with him (usually just drinking) and cheer him up to get motivated to being a normal adult again.  Now when he is approaching pretty much 3 years and will prob go on 4 I had to just ditch him.  He wasn't getting better and at end started talking shit to me because I was calling out his shit situation.  You can only give a person so much time before you deem them worthless.  He has 5 self help books though which he is supposedly reading!  He really just needs to go to rehab.  Those self help books obviously don't help shit.

Are you serious? Drinking is a depressant, that ultimately solves nothing. YOU did the wrong thing.

What you should have done... And anyone who has had to deal with individuals suffering from PTSD is not get to involved on a personal level, ask them if they are okay, refer them to professional services... Many services will also contact the sufferer so you don't need to worry if said individual is going to make a move.

I highly suggest you take a course in Mental Health First Aid, it's extremely valuable... You would certainly learn allot if your current (And poor!) outlook is anything to go by. - Everyone should have that training... In conjunction with Apply First Aid and Provide Basic Emergency Life Support.

NightlyPoe said:
Machiavellian said:

Well wouldn't that just be your personal view.  Also why would your personal view should be the deciding factor to limit what an artist feel they need to do in order to do their Job.  The company already exposes their people to graphic images because they produce them within their game.  I am not sure exactly what you are expecting.  Have you seen any MK game including the latest one.  The fatalities and brutalities are pretty damn graphic already.  Just because personally you would not view, watch or create this content just mean this type of game, working at that company isn't for you.

So what responsibility does the company need to  provide.  Would it be any different then a Police, Firefighter, Military or any other company that has any type of high stress.  So far no one has found out or even know what NR offer for their employees but instead just throwing out emotional statements.  So a guy got PSTD from working there but then again an employee can get PSTD from any high stress job.  It seems you are judging the company without even knowing what they offer as solutions. 

Still, at the end of the day, if a person cannot cut it at a job they still will need to find another one.  Nothing changes on that front.  If a person tried to be a policeman, firefighter or joined the military and could not cut it, developed PSTD, what do you think would happen.  Yes they can get medical help but as far as the job is concerned they have to find something else.

I've made no emotional statements.  I've simply said the company is responsible for a work environment that unnecessarily harms its employees.  And while some fields have inevitable traumatic experiences like police, firefight, military, healthcare workers, social workers, etc. those are inherent to the field and usually actively mitigated when possible.  There is no inherent need for employees to watch snuff films in view of their co-workers in order to perform their jobs.  And if the current company policy is allowing such exposure, they have at minimal a moral, and probably a legal, responsibility to alter said policy to protect their employees' well-being.

The work environment is making games that show death in a bunch of different ways.  There is no 2 ways about it.  It's not a job cut out for everyone and so everyone should not sign up for it.  You are basically trying to define what a game studio should be just because they create entertainment forgetting that the creation of that content doesn't always align with standard principals.  The nature of the job put people in a position where its not going to be advantageous for everyone and morality doesn't play a role because morality is defined differently for each individual.

Choices are made by any individual and if a job sucks for them then they need to quit and move on.  You say that Police, healthcare etc have traumatic experiences inherent to their field and I see no reason why a company that produces death sequences within their product not being right there with those companies.  You are basically saying just because it's a game company, there isn't traumatic experience you would encounter and I am saying you are wrong when the company deals with death on the nature of their product.  That would be like saying an Anime studio would not have traumatic experiences if the movies they make deal in gruesome deaths.  People consider Anime as cartoons and think of it as a kids medium but anyone who watches Anime knows that isn't the case.  I am saying game studios just like any job should not be thought of any different as any job where you deal in content on the level as NR.

At best the employee could have made a statement about seeing such content walking by and NR could ask those employees to move their desk so that the content could not be viewed by others walking by but that's pretty much it.  If this was a problem and brought up to management then sometimes it does involve employees bringing such issues up to HR and management. 

As to whether people should be watching such content, I leave that up to the person doing so and do not judge how they get inspiration for creating their work.  I have no clue what it takes for people to create the type of content like MK, gruesome Anime movies, or horror movies books you name it.  Even trying to just make your standard shooter, I have heard some questionable things people do to make that content.  Who am I or you to judge them just because we may not be entertained but such stuff.

Nautilus said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But I don't think they expected it to go so far as to look up YouTube lynchings and cattle slaughter.

Well, how else they would find reference materials to make the fatalities?Its not like they make everything out of their imagination.

But yeah, it still sucks that they have to go through all of this.

thats exactly what i thought they do

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

The work environment is making games that show death in a bunch of different ways.  There is no 2 ways about it.  It's not a job cut out for everyone and so everyone should not sign up for it.  You are basically trying to define what a game studio should be just because they create entertainment forgetting that the creation of that content doesn't always align with standard principals.  The nature of the job put people in a position where its not going to be advantageous for everyone and morality doesn't play a role because morality is defined differently for each individual.

Choices are made by any individual and if a job sucks for them then they need to quit and move on.  You say that Police, healthcare etc have traumatic experiences inherent to their field and I see no reason why a company that produces death sequences within their product not being right there with those companies.  You are basically saying just because it's a game company, there isn't traumatic experience you would encounter and I am saying you are wrong when the company deals with death on the nature of their product.  That would be like saying an Anime studio would not have traumatic experiences if the movies they make deal in gruesome deaths.  People consider Anime as cartoons and think of it as a kids medium but anyone who watches Anime knows that isn't the case.  I am saying game studios just like any job should not be thought of any different as any job where you deal in content on the level as NR.

At best the employee could have made a statement about seeing such content walking by and NR could ask those employees to move their desk so that the content could not be viewed by others walking by but that's pretty much it.  If this was a problem and brought up to management then sometimes it does involve employees bringing such issues up to HR and management. 

As to whether people should be watching such content, I leave that up to the person doing so and do not judge how they get inspiration for creating their work.  I have no clue what it takes for people to create the type of content like MK, gruesome Anime movies, or horror movies books you name it.  Even trying to just make your standard shooter, I have heard some questionable things people do to make that content.  Who am I or you to judge them just because we may not be entertained but such stuff.

PTSD can affect everyone, doesn't matter how mucho you think you are... It's only a matter of time. - Thus it is not a case of "If you can't handle it, don't apply for the job".

But right on. Support needs to be there whenever the risk is present.

NightlyPoe said:

Exposing your co-workers to snuff films at work is not necessary to create simulated violence.  You don't seem to be getting that.  Movies and games get made every week with gruesome depictions of violence that don't include watching the real thing.  There is no comparison to those other professions.

You want to keep talking beyond that point, however, that's as far as we need to go morally and legally.  I repeat, there's no need to even address your statements about individual choice or the artistic merit.  The company is damaging its employees' health via a lax policy with an easily predictable negative outcome.  If they don't change, they can get into trouble.

Really, what do you know what it takes for anyone to create the content of such violence as NR does or any violent content.  Do you work in this field, do you have experience because I certainly do not.  I have no clue and I am making no judgement because I do not do this work and never will.  You are stating no one should have to watch this content and I ask the question, if a journalist watched violent content for their article, someone writing a book concerning certain violent content, a person making a documentary for a movie or show, you name it  do you hold them also to the same moral standard.  There are plenty of instances where people watch this crap for research into a number of various different medias why is your moral standard fixated on just NR as if there is some type of difference.

Only thing I know is that I have played the recent MK and those Brutalities and Fatalities are pretty graphic.  I have watched some pretty violent Anime and I wonder how some of those people even come up with that stuff including all the gore. I have read books, viewed documentaries, watched horror movies you name it and from all of those medias people have watched the stuff expressed at NR for research.  So no, I do not believe this is some moral issue different than any of those other fields.

What I do agree with is after doing more research on the situation is that NR would need to probably bring in someone to help with diagnoses of PTSD since its a condition that is harder to see and thus they would need to monitor employees who work more directly with the violent content to make sure they mental health is not being effected.

When I was in high school, I watched one of those beheading videos. My naive dumb ass didn't think much of it and casually searched and watched the first one I came across. Almost 18 years later I can still hear the person gargling, I can still see the victim's decapitated head being tossed in the sand. I couldn't sleep for 3 days. It really messed my teenage brain up. Til this day I can't watch videos of people getting hurt. You know how some videos on the news say "be warned, these videos are graphic" ... well I'm the person who switches the channel when that's said.

Anywho, all this to say I can relate.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
When I was in high school, I watched one of those beheading videos. My naive dumb ass didn't think much of it and casually searched and watched the first one I came across. Almost 18 years later I can still hear the person gargling, I can still see the victim's decapitated head being tossed in the sand. I couldn't sleep for 3 days. It really messed my teenage brain up. Til this day I can't watch videos of people getting hurt. You know how some videos on the news say "be warned, these videos are graphic" ... well I'm the person who switches the channel when that's said.

Anywho, all this to say I can relate.

Lack of sleep, anger bursts, headaches, depression... Those are all perfectly normal reactions to seeing horrific images.

At this point I am a desensitized to it due to repeated exposure, so it doesn't phase me. - Just this morning at 4am I attended a road crash fatality, you forget that other people are sensitive to these scenes until you hear some of their hysteria or see them go into shock... So it's always valuable to remember to be mindful of others.

There is absolutely no shame in admitting that you don't want to witness such scenes and walk away either.

NightlyPoe said:

First, I would like to point out that it is obvious that you're the one emotional about this topic.

Second, you keep assuming that I'm making some sort of judgement about the people doing so.  You will find nothing in my posts to that effect.

Third, you keep jumping to other fields and the comparison isn't valid for reasons already stated.

Above all, I go back to the beginning.  A company has a moral and likely legal responsibility to not engage in practices that are detrimental to their employees' health.  I am not picking on NetherRealm Studios, I am making a broad, uncontroversial, statement.

I believe we are at a good point.  No need to continue to drag on this discussion as we definitely do not see the situation the same.  I am neither emotionally involved or really care that much just giving my opinion.