By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat Developer Diagnosed with PTSD

pokoko said:
Pemalite said:

I never did state that you said they were less of a person.

The company is very much to blame if it lacks the appropriate support for it's employees either in the short or long term.

I don't believe that people have zero responsibility for themselves.

I work in the emergency services. - PTSD is not something an individual can take "responsibility for". - You don't know if you will get PTSD until you actually have it... And by the time you have it, you cannot take responsibility for anything as you are NOT in the right frame of mind.

If a company/business/organization is exposing individuals to content which may have the potential negative effects either in the short or long term, then they should have the support in place to assist said exposed individuals when the time comes, it's as simple as that... And that should remain true regardless of the field you work in... PTSD is not something you should eve take lightly.

DonFerrari said:
And sorry to burst the discussion, but yes Military don't enlist expecting PTSD but they know that is a possible occurrence and mainly they know they are likely to enter battle and kill or die. Same way when you enter a company that makes Mortal Kombat that since the 1st game were about gore and violence you have to expect to be exposed to it.

In saying that... You join the Military knowing/hoping that the support exists in the event you may get PTSD.

Video games is a relatively new field though, so the support for workers being exposed to questionable content simply doesn't exist yet... Where-as the Military has had centuries to build the appropriate frameworks to support it's workers, same with other fields.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 11 May 2019

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Violence and gore put MK on the map. If you get a job doing working on the series you gotta know that. If you think you're okay with it, or you didn't know what MK was like, then find out you're not able to handle it, the onus is on you to find another job. If you choose to stay, I have little sympathy for you.

CaptainExplosion said:
pokoko said:
I mean, yeah. If someone doesn't like the sight of blood or death, should they work as a doctor in an emergency room? Probably not. Should they work for a software developer that has depended on that kind of thing for many years? Hm.

Why didn't he just say that it wasn't for him and resign?

He probably couldn't find any other work.

You could argue he couldn't find work that pays as well, but I'm sure he could find work.

But seriously, are we gonna hear people have PTSD from working on WWII games? God damn pussies. This truly is the worst generation.

Edit: On a site note, CoD and BF games has left me with PTSD. Please pity me and hopefully I can get some munnies from Activision and EA. Because I'm sure that's what this is about.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 11 May 2019

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:
And sorry to burst the discussion, but yes Military don't enlist expecting PTSD but they know that is a possible occurrence and mainly they know they are likely to enter battle and kill or die. Same way when you enter a company that makes Mortal Kombat that since the 1st game were about gore and violence you have to expect to be exposed to it.

In saying that... You join the Military knowing/hoping that the support exists in the event you may get PTSD.

Video games is a relatively new field though, so the support for workers being exposed to questionable content simply doesn't exist yet... Where-as the Military has had centuries to build the appropriate frameworks to support it's workers, same with other fields.

What would this support be for exactly? Help people who've seen violent media?

I mean graphic violent entertainment or media in general has existed for a fairly long time. If you're the type of person that's really affected by these types of images, the solution is simply don't expose yourself to it.

I mean I really hate looking at shit and vomit. So I just avoided being a janitor. But I could do that job and accuse my employer of doing horrible things, like cleaning up shit and vomit.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

I mean graphic violent entertainment or media in general has existed for a fairly long time. If you're the type of person that's really affected by these types of images, the solution is simply don't expose yourself to it.

I mean I really hate looking at shit and vomit. So I just avoided being a janitor. But I could do that job and accuse my employer of doing horrible things, like cleaning up shit and vomit.

Depends on the severity. But counseling is a good place to start.

The issue is... And this is something I have witnessed in person being in the emergency services... You don't know if someone will be affected by something like this until.. Well. They are affected by it. - People can go decades seeing horrible stuff and eventually just break almost at random, you cannot predict it. Seriously.

We aren't just talking about computer generated images here either you know, these people are seeing some horrific stuff in the name of "research" for our entertainment.
Give them some support... It doesn't have to be expensive, time consuming or whatever... Just someone they can talk to and refer them to other support services.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Ed Boon said they try to make the fatalities unrealistic...

Unrealistic in a way that can't be easily imitated, is what he meant.  Like Geras' fatalities, or D'Vorah's.

Though, I wonder why they need such accuracy in the violence.  If the ones working on the game have to go through this for this accuracy, then what is the game doing to the players that play the thing.  Some of the fatalities in the game are disturbing.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The issue is... And this is something I have witnessed in person being in the emergency services... You don't know if someone will be affected by something like this until.. Well. They are affected by it. - People can go decades seeing horrible stuff and eventually just break almost at random, you cannot predict it. Seriously.

We aren't just talking about computer generated images here either you know, these people are seeing some horrific stuff in the name of "research" for our entertainment.
Give them some support... It doesn't have to be expensive, time consuming or whatever... Just someone they can talk to and refer them to other support services.

That's strange to say: "at random",maybe for the people around them but they themselves must have had a lot of stress to eventually break from it and sometimes people also force themselves into those bad situations because they feel trapped.

Immersiveunreality said:
Pemalite said:

That's strange to say: "at random",maybe for the people around them but they themselves must have had a lot of stress to eventually break from it and sometimes people also force themselves into those bad situations because they feel trapped.

When I say at "random" I mean there is no predictable time frame when someone will get PTSD.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
What in the actual fuck AM i reading in this thread, One thing is lookking at a Goofy as fuck unrealisyic death scene in mortal Kombat, other is having to watch real murder, real gore for hours and days and months. Doubt when hiring they didnt out out the " you have to watch people getting murdered all day to make games Here" . Imagine moving from the other SIDE of the country to work There and ending up doing this all day, There is not too many big studios like netherealm across country and all close to each other, There is a lot of factors when quitting jobs depending of the type of the job. People act like its easy finding jobs and they can Change with a finger snap. Wake up to reality ffs

There may not be a lot of video game studios hiring, but there are tons and tons of coding/developer/programmer jobs for businesses out there, front or back end. As long as these people aren't dead set on developing video games specifically, they should have no problem finding work.

Pemalite said:
Immersiveunreality said:

When I say at "random" I mean there is no predictable time frame when someone will get PTSD.

Ah yes true.