By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Can Avengers: Endgame take the #1 spot beating Avatar? ...It just did !!!!

Will Avengers:Endgame beat Avatar?

Yes 68 80.00%

No 17 20.00%

Total:85
flashfire926 said:
haxxiy said:

Well, Gone With the Wind is only first when adjusted for inflation (which is not the proper ranking), in domestic (US) only. At that time television sets werent a real thing, you HAD to go to local theatre/drive-in to see it, not just skip so you can binge it later on netflix. No VCR, no DVD, no nothing. 

Still my point stands, before Endgame it was always original movies that held that #1 spot

And there is a HUGE overlap between the audience of the movies. Everyone now knows what "MCU" means, and is effectively treated as a franchise by a huge audience now.

I think you're really extrapolating from the 15-24 year-old hardcore MCU universe fanbase to all the casual movie goers out there. Most people can't tell the difference between Marvel and DC and would think Tony Stark is Batman's real name, or something.

Yes, no TV sets or VCR. That was pretty much the point I was making when I mentioned Star Wars. But... median household incomes were less than half of what they are right now in the developed world. Less free time (more industrial and agrarian jobs), less access to information and advertising. And world population and income out of the first world countries... proportionally even lower.

Even not taking into account all of that, what does that point would prove? Does it exculpate today's movie industry, or elevate its achievements for some reason? If anything, it only points out the movie industry never adapted and recovered its former stature.

Not sure what point you're trying to make talking adjusted by inflation. The meaningless one is the more correct, then, just because you like it more? Say, if there's eventually a short period of very high inflation, and a generic Michael Bay movie takes the top spot, even though it would have grossed less than half a billion if it released today, woud you say "Aha! New franchise to the top again!"

Actually, adjusting for inflation is actually kind to today's movies. To gross $3 billion worldwide today probably wouldn't even break the top 20 or top 15 in terms of tickets sold.

Around the Network

Well, going by this week´s numbers, it looks like it is not gonna be able to beat Avatar in the end.

chakkra said:

Well, going by this week´s numbers, it looks like it is not gonna be able to beat Avatar in the end.

Lmao dude it's gonna beat Avatar. The question is will it get to 3 billion. I don't think it will but it will be close. Passing Avatar is a foregone conclusion though so I don't know where you got your numbers.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
chakkra said:

Lmao dude it's gonna beat Avatar. The question is will it get to 3 billion. I don't think it will but it will be close. Passing Avatar is a foregone conclusion though so I don't know where you got your numbers.

"He is not a dude.  You're a dude.  This... this is a man.  A handsome, muscular man." ~ Drax/Dave Bautista

alternine said:
chakkra said:

Well, math is not really my forté but...

The movie needs $299m more to catch up with Avatar. It made $296m this last week Worldwide, which was a 70% drop from previous week.
Now, if we assume a 50% drop every week for its remaining time on theaters (and I am being REALLY generous with this drop) it would need 10 more weeks to catch up to Avatar.

So, I think it is possible for it to beat Avatar, but I'm finding that to be really (and I mean REALLY) hard.  Now, like I said, math is not really my thing so if you have better projections I would love to hear it.

Around the Network

You mean to tell me my NO prediction might actually come true? lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

My wife and I went to an IMAX showing last night (we had already seen a standard showing on premiere night Thursday 4/25). The auditorium was pretty full for a Tuesday night, and I was impressed with how lively the crowd was for a movie that has been out past its 3rd weekend now. Not obnoxious/rude lively, but all the gasps/cheering that are part of the movie going experience you would expect from an opening weekend.

Spoiler!
When Tony Stark died, I could hear a woman in the back of the theater openly weeping.

The film is past 2.5 billion already in 18 days.  I think that even for a severely front loaded film, it still has a good chance to pass Avatar.  I hope it happens, because this was a great film (slow build in the first hour, but then really picks up and doesn't let up from there).  I've seen Avatar and didn't get drawn into the hype around it whatsoever.

more people

more theatres

more marketing

steve

the-pi-guy said:
alternine said:

3 billion definitely isn't happening anymore.  

Movie is very front loaded.  

In the US, it is down to doing IW numbers.  Which means it can expect another $126m probably, so safe estimate is $854m total.

It has to make $159m elsewhere.  It's also going to be a lot more frontloaded than IW was, especially because IW just launched in China during it's 3rd weekend.  

Beating Avatar will probably happen, but it's not the guarantee that it was when the movie came out.  It's going to be a bit of a crawl.  

I think you might see further spike in near December. Pretty much one of those films that will be rerun towards the end of the year. Given it has been awhile since they did this.

the-pi-guy said:
China has ended screenings for the movie. Got cut short. So unless there's a surprise, beating Avatar isn't happening anymore.

It's probably gonna do 70m worldwide still so it would end its run at 2.730b dollars which is 58m short for the record. Disney could however license the movie for much cheaper so that theaters keep it playing over a longer period of time or re-release at a later stage again. 

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0