By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 Won The Console Generation By Being Boring: Can The PS5 Do The Same?

They won by having great first party games, and giving people a good gaming machine, rather than a tv viewing machine with no games other than bc.

Around the Network

I love my ps4, but damn this is so right. Its not a bad thing (except for keeping that damn awful controller design) but I do hope they do something a little more interesting next gen. Part of the fun last gen was how the big three were coming up with weird and crazy ideas, they didn't always work out but it was always interesting to see what they'd do next.

Edit: I forgot to mention psvr, which actually is interesting.

John2290 said:
pikashoe said:
I love my ps4, but damn this is so right. Its not a bad thing (except for keeping that damn awful controller design) but I do hope they do something a little more interesting next gen. Part of the fun last gen was how the big three were coming up with weird and crazy ideas, they didn't always work out but it was always interesting to see what they'd do next.

Ahem. PlayStation VR. It is just about the most interesting thing you can imagine gaming wise and has the most innovative games of the 8th gen. Ps5 will support the current tech too. 

Look again I added psvr to my post just before you posted. Although you are really overstating its importance at the moment. Considering psvr has sold less than the wii u and ps vita. Its interesting buts it's huge price seems to be keeping it away from a wider audience unfortunately.

I agree with the article, That's just PS1.3 and 1.3.1 (Pro).

Microsoft and Nintendo tried something different, but failed to read the mood of their consumer base; Microsoft by forgetting that a console is mainly to play games and the Multimedia just on the side; Nintendo by alienating their consumer and not making clear that the tablet controller wasn't just an expensive add-on for the Wii. Sony on the other hand played it safe - too safe for my taste. We're just at the 4th evolution of the PSOne instead of really new consoles in my opinion.

Ka-pi96 said:

Since when has good been boring?

I mean who on earth goes to the pub and says "ugh regular beer is so boring, I'd rather they put some weird shit in it instead"? Certainly not I! I'd much rather a good beer than some weird shitty drink.

I feel like that's a pretty common thing actually, that's why cocktails and mixers exist. I work as a barman, most people want weird concoctions of drinks.

Around the Network

Pretty much, when competition is down these things happen. WiiU and XB1 weren't exactly a threat. XB1X and Switch has brought a little back into the industry. It all comes down to who falls over next. If XB2, Switch and PS5 arrive at the gates without any issues than expect a tight competition again.

Playstation is playing it safe with boring hardware?

People forgetting its the only console with real or decent VR options?
That alone is a million times better than kinect was/is.

So I dont agree with the article at all.

fatslob-:O said:
PS4 won because of first party games, not hard to figure out really ...

And 2nd/3rd party too.... theres still lots of games, on the PS4 side you cant access on a xbox or switch.

Besides what sort of crazy "new" thingy do people actually want with their consoles?
Abit of raytraceing (graphics) and for audio (vastly improved audio), and a new PSVR2.... a SSD to reduce loading times.
I bet most people would be happy with that, and just a slightly more beefy console in general.

Theres no reason to keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

While Xbox did have some good ideas and features that eventually made it to PS4, PS4 won because it was more powerful, had a more consistent library of great games, and was cheaper. Xbox didn't do a great job explaining what they wanted to do and actually scared a lot of gamers away.

Plus PlayStation has always been the bigger brand.

Xbox One with a better version of their last gen Kinect = Innovation and exciting

PS4 with fantastic first party games and a VR headset = Boring

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'