By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - At what point is this child abuse? Trans kids.

Encouraging prepubescent gender transformation is...

A good thing. Not child abuse. 10 14.93%

A bad thing. Child abuse. 40 59.70%

Depends on the situation. (In comments) 17 25.37%

Total:67
SpokenTruth said:
I always find it amusing when people assert that their opinion is correct over experts in a given field.

Expert: Here are thousands of studies, tests, trials, reports, papers, experience, etc....
Novice: You guys are all wrong because it goes against my cognitive bias.

you think being able to distinguish between men and women is something that needs to be validated by an expert?

my question is how can you be a feminist when your perception of what a woman is boils down to whether the person in question tells you they are a woman or not... in case you didn't know that's what the "experts" supporting this nonsense are claiming

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

1). you think being able to distinguish between men and women is something that needs to be validated by an expert?

2). my question is how can you be a feminist when your perception of what a woman is boils down to whether the person in question tells you they are a woman or not... in case you didn't know that's what the "experts" supporting this nonsense are claiming

1). When our simplistic delineation is incapable of adequately addressing the concept of biological sex, yes.

2). You are conflating biological sex with gender. You just proved why we need experts.

" When our simplistic delineation is incapable of adequately addressing the concept of biological sex"

and you think its incapable because exceptions such as intersex people exist? even though its understood that categorisations are not perfect, which is why we still hold human's as being bipedal even though people with 8 limbs are born?

"You are conflating biological sex with gender."

i did not, i stated exactly what the standards for identification are under this idiotic ideology

it is ironically you know do not understand this

since you disagree with me how would you differentiate between a man and a woman then?

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 17 May 2019

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

" When our simplistic delineation is incapable of adequately addressing the concept of biological sex"

1). and you think its incapable because exceptions such as intersex people exist? even though its understood that categorisations are not perfect, which is why we still hold human's as being bipedal even though people with 8 limbs are born?

"You are conflating biological sex with gender."

2). i did not, i stated exactly what the standards for identification are under this idiotic ideology

it is ironically you know do not understand this

since you disagree with me how would you differentiate between a man and a woman then?

1). People born with extra limbs are still bipedal.  They do not ambulate on their extra appendages.

Clinically speaking, there are 6 sexes (technically more but they don't reach full fetal development). X, XX, XXY, XY, XYY and XXXY.

2). You absolutely conflated sex with gender.  Feminism is about the gender, not the sex.

" People born with extra limbs are still bipedal.  They do not ambulate on their extra appendages."

you do understand of course that people with this condition are incapable of maneuvering with two limbs right(bipedal locomotion)?

that their movement is restricted to crawling?

"Clinically speaking, there are 6 sexes"

wrong, a component of the definition of sex is capability to produce viable offspring

"Feminism is about the gender, not the sex."

and woman is a gender... lol i wasn't expecting this to go this bad

answer my question how do you differentiate between men and women? its funny to me that after 3 replies you can't put it down yet lmao

Hiku said:
o_O.Q said:

"i suppose you aren't going to address you contradicting yourself?"

"my point is that you are identifying them as asexual then claiming that their sexuality has nothing to do with their identity"

"I said "Identity is not the same as sexuality". I did not say it "has nothing to do with it"."

"It can be part of someone's identity. And it may not be for others.
And in the case of some asexual people, sexuality is not a factor."

No answer again?

o_O.Q said:
"You know there have been times when one person perceives a contradiction where there is none due to a misunderstanding or miscommunication"

well i suppose, but it doesn't change the fact that before clarification the contradiction has still occurred right?

No, there was never a contradiction. Only a person who didn't understand it before the clarification. The meaning of what I originally said never changed. If a person for no apparent reason presumed that it can only mean one thing, then that is on their reading comprehension.

And the way you've responded here, refusing to clarify how there's been a contradiction, over and over, no matter how many times I ask, makes it seem like you don't want bring this to light.

o_O.Q said:

if you can't see how this

"It can be part of someone's identity. And it may not be for others.
And in the case of some asexual people, sexuality is not a factor."

contradicts this

"I said "Identity is not the same as sexuality". I did not say it "has nothing to do with it"

then the only reasonable conclusion is that you don't know what a contradiction is

No, there's actually another reason for why a person refuses to answer a simple question, over and over, after they've painted themselves into a corner.

The problem with this is that you are deliberately wasting the other person's time. Just to avoid explaining something that you brought up, that may make you come off in a bad light.
I gave you many chances to explain. I even specifically said not to just highlight two terms that are opposite, like ice and fire. But you still did exactly that, again. And you still refused to explain.

I'm not going to ask again. But I want you to know that I find this behavior in particular very toxic because it wastes the other posters time on purpose to protect your own ego, and I will keep an eye on your posts in the future for similar behavior.

Other problems with your post also comes down to apparent lack of sincerity.

Like this:

"no i expect people who discuss these issues to be mature enough to discuss the ideas at hand reasonably, i mean i think everyone here has that expectation otherwise you wouldn't be a moderator would you?"

As if you've never encountered immature angry responses online. And as if you think there's no process involved to determine who is suitable to be a moderator. Or maybe that was intended as a backhanded shot at me?

And this:

"i have never been banned for a discussion on this topic before if i remember correctly, because as far as i know my posts have always been helpful and informative with regards to my opinions and pertinent and concise with regards to my questions"

You were moderated for a comment on the very off-topic subject you're trying to debate with me here. Women's equal rights.
And you know your posts have not always been helpful.

I also don't know if you're intentionally switching between "moderated" / "banned" / "Banned for this specific thing" in order to make it look like you've been more well behaved than I suggested, but given everything else, I wouldn't rule it out.

I'm not going to debate the other issues with you, because I think it's just a waste of time. But I am putting this reply here for moderator related reasons.

uh... you've waited a month later to reply? after i've long forgotten the context of this discussion? why? anyway...

"No answer again?"

no answer to what?

"No, there was never a contradiction. Only a person who didn't understand it before the clarification."

because your wording as i clearly quoted showed a contradiction, if you don't actually type what your intent is concisely how am i suppose to interpret you correctly? do you think i'm medium?

to reiterate you state here that for asexual people, sexuality is not a factor

"in the case of some asexual people, sexuality is not a factor."

but then here you state the opposite

"Identity is not the same as sexuality". I did not say it "has nothing to do with it"."

how can something be a factor and not be a factor simultaneously? i just posted quotes because i didn't seriously believe i'd have to spell this out like this

"I'm not going to ask again. But I want you to know that I find this behavior in particular very toxic"

what about bringing someone's post and moderation history into a completely unrelated discussion to poison the well? do you think that's toxic as well?

"no i expect people who discuss these issues to be mature enough to discuss the ideas at hand reasonably, i mean i think everyone here has that expectation otherwise you wouldn't be a moderator would you?"

"And as if you think there's no process involved to determine who is suitable to be a moderator. Or maybe that was intended as a backhanded shot at me?"

the point i was making is that we have moderators for these discussions because we expect people to discuss things reasonably, why would i be making backhanded shots at you? i don't even know you

"and I will keep an eye on your posts in the future for similar behavior."

you mean you're going to put more effort into scrutinising my posts specifically over the posts of others to see if you can moderate me?

"Other problems with your post also comes down to apparent lack of sincerity."

on what basis are you claiming that i'm insincere?

"I also don't know if you're intentionally switching between "moderated" / "banned" / "Banned for this specific thing" in order to make it look like you've been more well behaved than I suggested"

i'm not a moderator i honestly don't have in depth knowledge of how the terminology works and i don't see why i should be expected to

"You were moderated for a comment on the very off-topic subject you're trying to debate with me here. Women's equal rights."

can you actually give me a link to the post or post it here for clarification?

"I'm not going to debate the other issues with you"

so let me get this straight, you bring up my moderation history spontaneously into a completely unrelated discussion, and now that i've asked you to provide a more detailed breakdown of what its actually like so that i can defend myself, you just refuse? you think that's fair?

if you want to say that i'm a bad person you should at least be able to post for me how many bannings i've had over the years i've been a user

"And you know your posts have not always been helpful."

based on what? examples of unhelpful posts?

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 19 May 2019

Hiku said:
o_O.Q said:

uh... you've waited a month later to reply? after i've long forgotten the context of this discussion? why? anyway...

Because I've been prioritizing dealing with reports, but mainly because your name came up in a mod related discussion recently, and the context of your exchange with other members, me included, became relevant.

However, when someone refuses to clarify a simple question multiple times, I don't forget it just because a month has passed.

o_O.Q said:
"No, there was never a contradiction. Only a person who didn't understand it before the clarification."

because your wording as i clearly quoted showed a contradiction, if you don't actually type what your intent is concisely how am i suppose to interpret you correctly? do you think i'm medium?

And I told you that pointing at two different phrases, ignoring their meaning or context, does not explain where there is a contradiction.
I wanted an explanation, but had to ask you again and again and again.

o_O.Q said:

to reiterate you state here that for asexual people, sexuality is not a factor

"in the case of some asexual people, sexuality is not a factor."

but then here you state the opposite

"Identity is not the same as sexuality". I did not say it "has nothing to do with it"."

how can something be a factor and not be a factor simultaneously? i just posted quotes because i didn't seriously believe i'd have to spell this out like this

First of all, I said for some asexual people, sexuality isn't a factor. Some of them merely have low interest in sexual activity.
But the problem is with this comment you made:

"you are identifying them as asexual then claiming that their sexuality has nothing to do with their identity...doesn't that strike you as ironic?"

At no point did I say 'has nothing to do with their identity'. That's something you made up.

I said "identity is not the same as sexuality". Meaning it's not the defining characteristic of everyone's identity. The degree of how much or little it makes up of someone's identity is different for everyone. I used some asexual people, whose sexuality is completely absent, as an example of how stark the contrast can be.

I'm sure that at this point, you know this. But when you originally falsely claimed that I had said "has nothing to do with", you probably didn't.

o_O.Q said:
what about bringing someone's post and moderation history into a completely unrelated discussion to poison the well? do you think that's toxic as well?

It wasn't unrelated, because it looked like you were doing things you've been moderated for in the past.

o_O.Q said:
the point i was making is that we have moderators for these discussions because we expect people to discuss things reasonably, why would i be making backhanded shots at you? i don't even know you

??
Part of the reason why we have moderators is because we expect that people won't always discuss things reasonably and maturely. And they don't.

When I said that you should know that some people obviously won't take it well that you're ridiculing them for hypocrisy you said you didn't know that because you assume everyone will behave maturely.

But you know that's not the case. People argue. People break the rules. You included.
The mere presence of moderators doesn't change that, even if it demotivates some.

o_O.Q said:
you mean you're going to put more effort into scrutinising my posts specifically over the posts of others to see if you can moderate me?

No, I could have moderated you after you refused to answer my question for the 5th time. But I do want to discourage that kind of behavior. Not just from you, but from anyone reading my post. A person should not have to ask for a clarification that many times before they get an answer. If ever.

o_O.Q said:
i'm not a moderator i honestly don't have in depth knowledge of how the terminology works and i don't see why i should be expected to

You know the difference between "moderated" and "moderated for whatever you are accusing me of doing."

I did make it clear that there was a difference between how many times you had been moderated in general, and how many times you were moderated for something potentially related to this. You asked me to specify a number of things I'd rather not be too specific with in a post like this (I can through PM though), and as I did my best to reply, I found that you would respond to my comments about moderations in general with questions of how many times you've been moderated for something specific.

It may not have been your intention to try to be misleading though. I'm not going to assume that.
But just so you know, when moderators are reviewing a post, they don't just disregard any prior history, if it's not related to the particular rule this one may be breaking. But those are of course more interesting.

If you want numbers for your mod history, you can check them yourself under My Profile. Should say something like Moderation History in the top right corner.

o_O.Q said:
"You were moderated for a comment on the very off-topic subject you're trying to debate with me here. Women's equal rights."

can you actually give me a link to the post or post it here for clarification?

"I'm not going to debate the other issues with you"

so let me get this straight, you bring up my moderation history spontaneously into a completely unrelated discussion, and now that i've asked you to provide a more detailed breakdown of what its actually like so that i can defend myself, you just refuse? you think that's fair?

I can give you the link: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8598293

But when you ask for things like specific numbers, I don't want to post that here due to our policies.

I also want to add something I edited into my post while you were making this comment, that you missed.

o_O.Q said:
"Quote those conflicting comments, and tag the users."

i already did with one of them since i was engaged in discussion with him

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9001190

That post came after your post. So you could not have been referring to it, unless you own a time machine.

Your post: 21 April 2019 at 03:58
His post: 21 April 2019 at 04:38

You also used plural, insinuating more than one person.
And I'm not even going to get into how what that poster said is not the same thing you described, or how your understanding of it is not the same as mine either.

"And I told you that pointing at two different phrases, ignoring their meaning or context"

if i ignored their meaning or context how did you come to clarify what you said multiple times?

obviously you made the clarifications in response to arguments i made about your posts

you keep repeating this claim and its not true

"does not explain where there is a contradiction."

if i make two phrases like "john went south for the winter" and then i said "john did not go south for the winter" are you really trying to argue that people would reasonably expect that the contradiction here has to be spelled out?

"Part of the reason why we have moderators is because we expect that people won't always discuss things reasonably and maturely. And they don't."

i worded that badly this was my intent

"At no point did I say 'has nothing to do with their identity'. That's something you made up."

"And in the case of some asexual people, sexuality is not a factor.""

are you kidding me? can you logically explain how its not essentially the same thing?

"If you want numbers for your mod history, you can check them yourself under My Profile. Should say something like Moderation History in the top right corner."

according to my moderation history i've been banned 10 times

3 times for sig length

1 time for thread derailment

5 times for flaming

1 time for trolling

i have been on this site now for over eight years... do you really think its fair to characterise someone with an average of 1 ban for trolling every eight years as a bad user?

why didn't you post my history to begin with so we could have an actual discussion based on facts and figures? if i wanted to now i could even go and plot a graph or something

"hat post came after your post. So you could not have been referring to it, unless you own a time machine."

oh sorry that's true here are some more

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9000918

"You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit."

on the one hand sundin is advocating for men to be allowed to change their identity to women if they want to, but sundin in the past has advocated for feminists issues... both values obviously conflict since feminism is largely predicated on a delineation between men and women do you agree?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9000949

""Children as young as 2 years learn to label themselves as a boy or a girl, and by age 4–5, are able to understand that gender is a stable and lasting aspect of their identity.40 Boys and girls have group differences in toy preference by as early as 12 months and can label other children as boys or girls by age 2.41""

the same problem arises here

"And I'm not even going to get into how what that poster said is not the same thing you described"

well i suppose it depends on if you see what i described as a conflict... i personally don't see how you could argue that its not but whatever

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
CosmicSex said:
This child was adopted and its impossible to know whats going on without looking deeper into his history. One assumes the she has both the resources and time to seek the best in mental care for her son. I'm not a big fan of gender assignments in the first place. Just the other day, I was watching Cartoon Network, and I saw the advertisements they had clearly aimed at Girls/Boys and I found both to be a bit more than contrived. It made me realize that advertisers shoehorn children based solely on their sex. They teach us what a boy is and should like and what a girl is and what should want. The purpose of doing this is to make it easier to segment them into the most basic of categories.

Kids don't come out all acting or wanting the same thing. Isn't it child abuse to shoehorn children into categories that we define for them? To a certain extent, I think it is.
My boyfriend for example, is clearly a man, but is very effeminate in some of his actions, like and desires. He says to me sometimes that he gets depressed because he was told that he is an abomination by members of a certain church. I told him he is fine the way he is and to ignore the outside voices that want to control the way his life on such a personal level.

I have never sought to exert control over someone's opinion of their sexuality or gender identification. Why would that even be in my purview? Why are so many people concerned with making people do or act the way they see fit? You are wasting you time. Work on yourself! Live your life!

are you a supporter of feminism?

Google defines feminism as 'the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes'

So yeah why not.  I believe in equal pay for equal work.  Merit based promotions.  The right of a women to want control over her body... because I would want control over mine own. 

the-pi-guy said:
o_O.Q said:

you think being able to distinguish between men and women is something that needs to be validated by an expert?

my question is how can you be a feminist when your perception of what a woman is boils down to whether the person in question tells you they are a woman or not... in case you didn't know that's what the "experts" supporting this nonsense are claiming

How do you distinguish gender?  
For pretty much any rule you could make, you could find exceptions. 

People with XX chromosome sometimes have penises.  

People with penises sometimes have female parts.  

So chromosomes, and penises don't work 100% of the time.  

I prefer letting people decide for themselves.  

John2290 said:

Follow the money, the experts are often funded by pharma companies who stand to gain massively, these treatments cost a substantial amount with various drugs. You wp6uln't trust experts to say Roubd up or cigerettes isn't carcinogenic, would you?

Experts fuck up ALL the time. Look up lobotomies, Thalidomide or hell just watch Dallas buyers club. 

John2290 said:

When he says we won't see the reaults of this for another 10 to 15 years is so true. This is the Thalidomide of our generation and we are going to look back at this as such a mistake on humanity, twenty years from now there will be tens of thousands of people in an awful state calling out the abusers like this guy, a very large net is being cast for a smal percent of kids that this will benifet. 

Gender is a social construct once you gets the semantics right and use sex to refer to men and women but what happens when the contruct becomes a terrible threat to children, I guess we will find out in a decade or two when the are old enough to speak for themselves and question why this was done to them. 

I am sure that there are a small number of people that fit into the categories that you've been talking about throughout this thread.  I am sure there is a mother out there somewhere who wishes she had a daughter and convinced her son, he was supposed to be a girl, just like there are mothers out there that try convincing their kid that they are sick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Dee_Dee_Blanchard

If there were cases like that I would 100% agree that it is child abuse.  

But, I don't believe though that there is a large number of cases where this is happening.  Just like I'm not convinced that there are 100's of cases like Blanchard above.  

There are people out there that are genuinely transgender.  They weren't told they were by anyone.  They weren't convinced they were by their parents.  The opposite, they told everyone else they were. 

Science has gotten a lot better, even over the past 30 years to figure out how to prevent abuses from conflicts of interest. 

"People with XX chromosome sometimes have penises.  

So chromosomes, and penises don't work 100% of the time. "

some people are blind do we then have to stop calling eyes organs used for seeing?

categories are never 100% perfect, no biologist would ever make that argument, but that doesn't mean that we just throw away categories as a result, never mind the fact that you aren't going to stop people fro categorising things automatically anyway

"How do you distinguish gender? "

sex organs/appearance as everyone does

"I prefer letting people decide for themselves.  "

are you a feminist?

Hiku said:
o_O.Q said:

"And I told you that pointing at two different phrases, ignoring their meaning or context"

if i ignored their meaning or context how did you come to clarify what you said multiple times?

obviously you made the clarifications in response to arguments i made about your posts

I made the clarification because you inexplicably interpreted it as "has nothing to do with their identity" when I said no such thing.

I should not have had to explain that.

o_O.Q said:
if i make two phrases like "john went south for the winter" and then i said "john did not go south for the winter" are you really trying to argue that people would reasonably expect that the contradiction here has to be spelled out?

That's an inaccurate analogy.
I used different terms for the sentences in question. "Is not the same as", "some people are asexual" and "is not a factor".

But that wasn't even what you were caught up on, as you pointed out the 'irony' in my sentence well before I had even used the term "factor".
In fact, before I had even said "I did not say it has nothing to do with."

Just because I clarified that in my original post "I did not say it "has nothing to do with it"", that does not mean that I claimed the opposite.
It simply means I did not say what you claim I said.

The whole "nothing to do with their identity" was your idea. I simply said that this did not come from my mouth.

All I said at that point was that Sexuality is not the same as identity, and then gave asexual people as an example.

What was ironic about the comment?

To refresh your memory, this was our entire exchange on the subject, before you claimed it was ironic:

Me: "Identity is not the same as sexuality. Some people are asexual for example."
You: "do those people identify as asexual?"
Me: "They don't have to. But asexual people exist."
You:"my point is that you are identifying them as asexual then claiming that their sexuality has nothing to do with their identity... doesn't that strike you as ironic?"

The bolded part is the false claim you made.
Which leads me to this:

o_O.Q said:

"At no point did I say 'has nothing to do with their identity'. That's something you made up."

"And in the case of some asexual people, sexuality is not a factor."

are you kidding me? can you logically explain how its not essentially the same thing?

Yes, and in more than one way. One I already described above.
Saying that I never claimed "it has nothing to do with" does not mean I claim the opposite, nor that I took a stance on it one way or the other.

The reason I felt the need to clarify this to you, aside from the fact that I did not say it, is because there you are dealing in absolute terms.
Something I was careful to avoid at that point, which is why I said "Not the same as". So you replying with "has nothing to do with" was in stark contrast to how I worded my sentence. I had to make that clear.

Secondly, when I later (after you already pointed out some irony I've yet to see explained) used the term "is not a factor" I was also trying to avoid "has nothing to do with their identity".
Partially because some asexual people do have a sexual drive, but also because even for the ones who don't, it can be quite debatable to claim that it's absence has nothing to do with their identity, as I have a personal friend who struggles a lot with existential issues, partially because of the absence of his sexuality. So I would say it does affect his view on his own identity.

The reason I brought up asexual people is because their sexuality and its effect on their identity can vary more than between 'normal people'.

o_O.Q said:

"Part of the reason why we have moderators is because we expect that people won't always discuss things reasonably and maturely. And they don't."

i worded that badly this was my intent

So you're saying that because moderators exist, you don't expect anyone to react badly to something that may otherwise provoke a negative response?
I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.

o_O.Q said:

"If you want numbers for your mod history, you can check them yourself under My Profile. Should say something like Moderation History in the top right corner."

according to my moderation history i've been banned 10 times

3 times for sig length

1 time for thread derailment

5 times for flaming

1 time for trolling

i have been on this site now for over eight years... do you really think its fair to characterise someone with an average of 1 ban for trolling every eight years as a bad user?

why didn't you post my history to begin with so we could have an actual discussion based on facts and figures? if i wanted to now i could even go and plot a graph or something

I did not post the specific details because it's our policy to try to keep those in PM, or in the moderator topic.

I'll just reiterate two things.
Like I said before, bans are not the only relevant moderations we look at. Warnings are as well. Bans generally come as a result of multiple warnings. So they're not inherently different in nature. You can be warned over something more severe than what you end up being banned for.

Secondly, when I go through someone's mod notes, and there is a scroll bar even though I'm viewing it in full page mode, that's usually not a good indication for me personally. Of course, things like being warned for sig length I consider fairly irrelevant to cases where there may be trolling, flaming, etc.

o_O.Q said:

oh sorry that's true here are some more

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9000918

"You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit."

on the one hand sundin is advocating for men to be allowed to change their identity to women if they want to, but sundin in the past has advocated for feminists issues... both values obviously conflict since feminism is largely predicated on a delineation between men and women do you agree?

He's saying that the child in question was always female. Or always considered themselves female, once they figured things out. Not that they were a man, and then changed to a woman.

I guess I'll touch on what I meant by "how what that poster said is not the same thing you described" now, since you gave me examples that predate your comment.

What Sundin is saying here is what he perceives to already be true. Not a "difference that he is fighting to reduce."
He thinks that this is how it is. That some women are born in male bodies, and vice versa.

However, I can understand why you might phrase it that way, so on the idea that you were trying to flamebait a particular large group with your comment, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and conclude that that was not your intention.

But let me also explain why your comment may be perceived that way by others.

When you say "fighting to reduce differences", people are going to think about actual differences between men and women that people are fighting to reduce.
One very common thing that may come to mind when reading your comment is something like the difference in average wages between men and women, within the same line of work. And people are fighting to reduce those differences. Literally.

So you could easily be reported by someone for trying to instigate unnecessary arguments with a group of people.

So when you call people out like that in the future, try to be mindful of the words you chose. And if you are referring to someone specific, it's good if you can cite them. Especially if you have a history of stirring the pot when it comes to a group of people.

"The reason I felt the need to clarify this to you, aside from the fact that I did not say it, is because there you are dealing in absolute terms."

to say something is not a factor for something is an absolute statement but i was wrong to not specify that you were not referring to all asexual people

"Partially because some asexual people do have a sexual drive"

this doesn't make any sense to me, asexuality is literally defined as the absense of sex drive wouldn't that simply be a case of low libido?

"So you're saying that because moderators exist, you don't expect anyone to react badly to something that may otherwise provoke a negative response?
I'm still not sure what you're trying to say."

possibly because you're trying to read ill intent in my posts that has never existed

to correct my mistake earlier my point was that we have moderators on forums to ensure that people behave despite hoping that people will behave themselves without intervention from moderators

"He's saying that the child in question was always female. Or always considered themselves female, once they figured things out."

fair enough and how would feminists be able to distinguish as a result who is a woman and who is a man if we simply determine this based on what they claim to be? i'm saying its contradictory because feminist rhetoric in other contexts seeks to paint men and women as being radically different from each other such as the idea of sexualisation, rape culture, violence etc etc etc

"What Sundin is saying here is what he perceives to already be true. Not a "difference that he is fighting to reduce.""

in this context i'm saying there is a fight to reduce differences because the notion is essentially that the only thing that determines who is man and who is woman is the declaration of the individual person, which obviously is throwing away a lot of the other factors that have been used to distinguish between the two

'He thinks that this is how it is. That some women are born in male bodies, and vice versa."

fair enough, am i not allowed to think that this is nonsense and disagree with him?

how does this work mechanically btw? is the claim being made that these people have a soul or a spirit that is gendered?

"So you could easily be reported by someone for trying to instigate unnecessary arguments with a group of people."

even if i can validate my argument and demonstrate what i'm referring to?

the-pi-guy said:
o_O.Q said:

"People with XX chromosome sometimes have penises.  

So chromosomes, and penises don't work 100% of the time. "

some people are blind do we then have to stop calling eyes organs used for seeing?

categories are never 100% perfect, no biologist would ever make that argument, but that doesn't mean that we just throw away categories as a result, never mind the fact that you aren't going to stop people fro categorising things automatically anyway

Who is calling for throwing away the categories?  

I know very few people that are calling to throw away categories.  It's about understanding that the categories aren't as easy to define as people grew up understanding.  

o_O.Q said:

"How do you distinguish gender? "

sex organs/appearance as everyone does

-What about people that choose to change their appearance?  

-What about people that naturally don't have distinctive features that we correlate with sex/gender?

-What about people with both sex organs?  

o_O.Q said:

"I prefer letting people decide for themselves.  "

are you a feminist?

What does it matter?

"Who is calling for throwing away the categories?  "

ok since you believe "man" and "woman" are still valid categories, how do you identify men and women?

"It's about understanding that the categories aren't as easy to define as people grew up understanding.  "

but that's not true, people have always known that reproduction is not a perfect process and occasionally abnormalities occur

"What about people that choose to change their appearance?  

-What about people that naturally don't have distinctive features that we correlate with sex/gender?

-What about people with both sex organs?  "

i treat those situations the same as i do when i see the girl with eight limbs or the guy covered in bark like growths all over his body - exceptions which does not mean that they do not deserve respect but that they do not fit into the typical characteristics we use identify a particular group

that's what people have done from the dawn of mankind

"What does it matter?"

i suppose i'm just curious about how feminism could still function when at any time someone can simply choose to identify as the other gender

Bringing this back from the dead because my kid is now at a point where I think some relevant things are occurring and I'm curious how those that think trans kids are being abused (not in the way most would assume) would deal with a couple simple scenarios that I think fall within "letting a kid decide their gender for themselves".

So while at the renaissance fair (not my idea, my wife gets to drag me once a year) my 3 and a half year old son saw a girl wearing some faerie wings purchased at the fair. When he commented on them I asked if he would like some, he said yes. I ignored it a couple times (like I do anything he asks me to buy to make sure he actually remembers and cares) but he was adamant so we went to get him some faerie wings and he chose pink. Now my three year old son is wearing pink faerie wings around the fair, and later at home. To me, this is part of letting a kid decide who they want to be without pushing them one way or another which is what I advocated for throughout this thread. My question is, what would someone who disagreed with my view do in this scenario. Do you tell the three year old "no you're a boy and gender expectations dictate that you don't wear pink faerie wings"? Or perhaps this is a small gender transgression that you'd overlook, but what would draw the line into something you wouldn't allow?

edit: forgot to mention, I brought this topic back from the dead because the one I made that I probably would've put this into was locked. Felt like making an entire thread around the question was a bit much so here we are.