By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - At what point is this child abuse? Trans kids.

Encouraging prepubescent gender transformation is...

A good thing. Not child abuse. 10 14.93%

A bad thing. Child abuse. 40 59.70%

Depends on the situation. (In comments) 17 25.37%

Total:67

Genders are a fabrication by society. It's a mere categorization that people are forcing on themselves. There are 2 biological sexes, zero genders and way too many people wanting to put themselves and others into boxes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Your OP kind of frames the debate by using some loaded language that isn't really present in the examples. You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit. In my opinion, the only way to see such a thing as child abuse is if your own biases lead you to believe that Transgender identity is wrong in some way.

The parents pushed a gender on their child the moment they bought gendered toys and clothes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Nautilus said:
sundin13 said:

I feel like you guys are kind of arguing different things. People aren't having sexual reassignment surgery at 10. People aren't even usually taking puberty blockers at ten. When someone is transitioning, there are several steps that are taken:

1) Social transitioning: Basically just being treated as and expressing yourself as the gender you identify with. This obviously is not irreversible in any way and this is the only transitioning you see on kids under ten(ish).
2) Puberty blockers: Assuming someone has not gone through puberty already, the individual will often begin taking puberty blockers to prevent or delay the onset of secondary sex characteristics. This is generally considered to be reversible in the sense that when you come off the puberty blockers, it is expected that those sex characteristics will form in the absence of other treatment.
3) Hormone therapy: This allows the development of characteristics of characteristics matching the gender an individual identifies with. This is permanent in the sense that something like surgical intervention would be required in order to reverse something (ex removing/adding breast tissue). From what I can tell, under current guidelines, this cannot be done to anyone under 16.
4) Sexual reassignment surgery: This seems to be what you are talking about where an individual's genitals are changed by a surgical procedure. This is not a reversible process (however I suppose you could possible get the surgery again but I highly doubt that would be advisable). This step is also not always taken by the individual transitioning. From what I can tell, under current guidelines, this cannot be done to anyone under 18.

You seem to largely be arguing against something that doesn't happen, which is fine, but I don't think anyone in this thread is actually arguing in favor of sexual reassignment at ten years old.

Assuming steps 1 through 3 arent irreversible and that dosent inflict damage to the body if they stop taking it(like the blockers) then Im kind of fine with this.I just assumed that the articles were trying to imply that the surgery should be done as soon as possible.

Having said that, I dont think this should be encouraged like its something normal.I mean, in the sense that parents and doctors jump to this series of procedure, just because the child says he/she wants,without extensive research on the child first(therapists and all that talking with the child to know if they really want that)

I don't think steps 2-4 are done lightly, psychological support is probably mandatory. In germany for example you have to attend a psychologist over a period of 12 month before you can do the surgery, that's the requirement for an adult.

A tweet by Matt Walsh calling parents mentally I'll...
We got 'em boys
I'll say though, it's brave to post an article proving you're wrong, so props for that.

"Some people think that kids who show any kind of gender nonconformity are transgender, while others equate the term with medical treatments such as hormone blockers or reassignment surgeries. Neither definition is right, and medical interventions aren’t even in the cards for young children of the age Olson studied. That’s why, in her study, she uses pronouns as the centerpiece marker of a social transition. Changing them is a significant statement of identity and is often accompanied by a change in hairstyle, clothing, and even names."

OP already had this explained to him, however:
1) Gender non-conforming children will start presenting as they like, with clothes, names, pronouns and the like. That's it.
OP will claim parents are forcing their kids, because he is a transpose and doesn't read the articles he shares.
2) Kids who reach puberty can decide to take puberty delayed, which are just that, drugs which delay puberty. They are safe,reversible, and you'll just get puberty when you stop.
OP will claim they are unsafe, untested, forced on kids, because he's a transphobe.
3) Once they reach adult age, people who still want can undergo hormone therapy and/or surgery. Or none of it, it's their choice (!)
OP will claim these people are deluded, and have been "forced" to be trans, because he's a transphobe and has been lying since (1).

In conclusion, calling anything above child abuse is laughable, socially, medically and legally speaking.
Though OP is so afraid of being made a fool that he just posted a "Trans=bad?Y/N" poll, with a tweet, and a study that says he's wrong.

Torillian said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Consider those possibilities please and consider we are far away from having perfect treatment and support for those poor kids and that was clearly the concern of the OP so no need to put a HATER stamp on his forehead because he made this thread out of worry.

I don't think a thread that asks if supporting a child's view of themselves as transgender is child abuse is worried that our current treatment and understanding of these children is imperfect. Imperfect treatment is not child abuse. 

Immersiveunreality said:
Torillian said:

I don't think a thread that asks if supporting a child's view of themselves as transgender is child abuse is worried that our current treatment and understanding of these children is imperfect. Imperfect treatment is not child abuse. 

If it results in suffering of said child it IS abuse.

If i take a swing at you while thinking it heals you ,would you consider that imperfect treatment or abuse?

Torillian said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Firstly dont disagree with me on something i never said and turn it on me.

Bolded: Support the 3-6 year old in the way it needs support ofcourse and no one disagrees on that ,you can read that in previous comments.

What you fail to understand is that every child is mentally different and you just put them into one big group that apparently have the same needs,and you also don't understand that most problems with these kids come in their teens and later life and that research is also on the site you use links from,did link it before.You cannot call this an overal healthy practice for a childs development and ignore the years that come after.

So your so called evidence is no evidence but partial information that is good research on its own but it belongs to a bigger whole.

Not all of the children should be pushed towards another gender because children can not always make a healthy decisions for themselves and parents can make children believe they want it so we need to be very carefull and that is why people think not every "support"is in reality support and therefore it is open for abuse.

You're the one that said I'm misunderstanding the point of most of the posters in this thread who have concerns. So I'm telling you what I'm arguing against and what you are vicariously defending. If you want to stick with just what you've said I'm fine with that, but you're the one that wants to defend what the group in this thread are saying and not just your own words with statements like:

"That is kinda your problem in your first comments in this thread you immediately start putting words in other posters mouths and make an argument about something most people just agree on like in this very post you again think we talk about children being "supported"."

Once you say that I feel it's fair game to ask you to defend the statements of others since you've already decided to do so. And I think it's totally fair to think that the discussion is on whether or not you support a child that thinks they are trans considering that the OP contains two examples both of which are of parents who responded to what their child said. That's what led off this discussion. 

If you don't give me the specific studies that disagree with what I've posted I've got nothing to debate against so I guess I'll leave it at that until you provide links. I will say, however, that what I'm failing to see from "your side" is the admission that a lack of support for a child going through gender questions is also abuse. If your kid consistently insists they're a girl and you insist "no, you're a boy" then there's a sizable chance that you've just shut down someone with legitimate concerns. I'm personally much more concerned with that scenario over this idea that people all over are pushing their kids to be trans. If that's something that is happening with regularity I would have to see some proof of that.  

First bolded:I should not have typed "we" and should have typed what i personally thought about it but im pretty sure the OP his intention of this thread was not saying children shouldn't be supported but more children shouldn't be abused and i know you like to transform that because of the examples but his intention stays.(The examples are no proof of support OR abuse so to use those the transform the argument in this thread being against support is really silly)

Second bolded: If you say there is a sizable chance that someone with concerns gets shut down then you can also agree that there is a chance someone that should have no concerns can be pushed toward a wrong identity no?And what about childhood shizophrenia,have you thought about that?Or kids with autism that are socially confused?

And no your link to that research did not include children that are pushed into it so it is worthless to bring it up as argument.

Can you just understand that it is just not totally safe yet to assume ALL kids are better off with another gender when they ask for it?

Also the thread is totally not about children being supported, but that is just another assumption of you and that makes it very hard to get anything through to you and through the wall of ideology.I can say i kick my dog to support it but that doesnt make it actual support.

Around the Network

First bolded:I should not have typed "we" and should have typed what i personally thought about it but im pretty sure the OP his intention of this thread was not saying children shouldn't be supported but more children shouldn't be abused and i know you like to transform that because of the examples but his intention stays.(The examples are no proof of support OR abuse so to use those the transform the argument in this thread being against support is really silly)

Second bolded: If you say there is a sizable chance that someone with concerns gets shut down then you can also agree that there is a chance someone that should have no concerns can be pushed toward a wrong identity no?And what about childhood shizophrenia,have you thought about that?Or kids with autism that are socially confused?

And no your link to that research did not include children that are pushed into it so it is worthless to bring it up as argument.

Can you just understand that it is just not totally safe yet to assume ALL kids are better off with another gender when they ask for it?

Also the thread is totally not about children being supported, but that is just another assumption of you and that makes it very hard to get anything through to you and through the wall of ideology.I can say i kick my dog to support it but that doesnt make it actual support.

In the very first post he said:

"At what point is pushing (or even considering) a prepubescent child to question there gender considerd child abuse? For example Charlize theorn..."

it's right there "pushing (or even considering)". And then he uses two examples where there is no pushing evident just parents taking their kid's words for it and asks if this is child abuse. That's what I'm arguing against. This idea that a kid is just too young to think about these things and (because I assume anything more than this would be deemed considering) their questions should be ignored. I'm saying that age appropriate support should be provided based on psychological community consensus. That means allowing your kid to dress how they like for a while, then puberty blockers with the help of psychological professionals if that's what the child wants, then hormone therapy, then sex reassignment. 

Here are the situations I see:

situation 1: 
Child insists they are male or female
Parent insists they are the opposite of what the child claims (whether that means parents pushing kids to be trans or to be cis)

situation 2:
Child insists they are male or female
Parent works with the child to figure out this question doing their best to not push them one way or another but instead allow them to figure it out themselves. 

I'm in favor of situation 2 and against situation 1 regardless of if that results in someone being mistakenly thought of as Cis or trans. I'm never in favor of the parent pushing what they think the kid's gender identity should be on them. 

The research is indicating that if your child is trans you should be supportive and that leads to the best psychological outcomes, the thing I've been saying throughout this entire fucking thread. Not push them one way or another, be supportive. Every time we go through this you say "well what if the kids are pushed towards being trans" and I tell you again that I'm not in favor of that. Kids should be supported in working through these questions regardless of the answer they end up at. That seems to give the best outcomes for the child. If they decide they are trans, great, and if not that's great too. And obviously if one is considering the possibility that their child is trans they should see a professional before things get beyond letting them dress however they like. That should help with your questions of if the child has other psychological conditions that could confuse the situation. 

And again, you equate a parent helping a child work through their gender questions with physical abuse. Can you come up with an example that isn't obviously biased? 

Lastly, if we both agree that the kids should be supported in working through their gender identity then we agree. You say it's hard to get through to me, but I'm ready and waiting to agree with you. Just seems like every time I say "a kid should be supported through working out their gender" you say "well some kids are pushed towards being trans" and I say "yeah that's bad, they should be supported, not pushed" and we go round and around again. 

Last edited by Torillian - on 25 April 2019

True story here.  My daughter is currently 8 years old.  Recounting events in chronological order in her short life thus far:

1) She wanted to marry daddy.

2) She wanted to marry her then best friend Neely (girl).

3) She claimed Trevor (boy) was going to marry her NUMEROUS of times.

Currently, she now cringes every time she sees affection such as two people kissing on television whether it's live action or animated.  Let me be clear that these are NOT phases she was going through.  She was just expressing herself as a developing kid.  In regards to relationships, she's seen straight, gay and lesbian relationships on screen.  We once had a lesbian couple that lived across from us with a daughter in which we always gotten along width.  In a nutshell, I'm teaching her that not everyone is going to agree on everything, and you live your life as the best person you can while appreciating others as you want to be appreciated.  And if others cannot look past what they don't agree with, that's their problem, not hers.

With all that said, Charlize Theron is a NUT.  I wouldn't call her actions (or lack there of) child abuse, but I would say that it's idiocy at best and parental neglect at worst (which that is arguably child abuse).  Even thought there are some men who are more feminine and some women more masculine, we have to accept the scientific biological fact that men and women are inherently different due to hormonal factors produced by organs that are specifically in men and women.  And then there's DNA.  Women are women and men are men. But how you express your sexuality is all your doing.  To borrow a cliche "Kids will say the darned things." But Charlize's son is a boy.  There is no room for argument, and no need for justification.  Now, if he prefers to play Barbie over Hot Wheels, that's a different scenario.  As a parent, you teach your children what's fact and what's opinion.  And then you allow your child a certain extent of moderated freedom to develop and mature that doesn't cross the line of chaos. Then you have to acknowledge that this will vary from household to household.  But for a parent to allow a child to determine his or her sex is undermining the authority of a parent and sets up a precedence of poor parental judgment as the child continues to voice and make more decisions as he or she develops.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 26 April 2019

vivster said:
sundin13 said:
Your OP kind of frames the debate by using some loaded language that isn't really present in the examples. You claim that these parents are pushing their children, however in both examples you provided, it appears that the children are the ones who are being allowed to lead and express their own identities in the way they see fit. In my opinion, the only way to see such a thing as child abuse is if your own biases lead you to believe that Transgender identity is wrong in some way.

The parents pushed a gender on their child the moment they bought gendered toys and clothes.

So do we need a separate section at retailers for "gender less" items such as clothes, book and toys?  Who is to determine what those items are?  And specifically what sort of items do you suggest that should be marketed?

This child was adopted and its impossible to know whats going on without looking deeper into his history. One assumes the she has both the resources and time to seek the best in mental care for her son. I'm not a big fan of gender assignments in the first place. Just the other day, I was watching Cartoon Network, and I saw the advertisements they had clearly aimed at Girls/Boys and I found both to be a bit more than contrived. It made me realize that advertisers shoehorn children based solely on their sex. They teach us what a boy is and should like and what a girl is and what should want. The purpose of doing this is to make it easier to segment them into the most basic of categories.

Kids don't come out all acting or wanting the same thing. Isn't it child abuse to shoehorn children into categories that we define for them? To a certain extent, I think it is.
My boyfriend for example, is clearly a man, but is very effeminate in some of his actions, like and desires. He says to me sometimes that he gets depressed because he was told that he is an abomination by members of a certain church. I told him he is fine the way he is and to ignore the outside voices that want to control the way his life on such a personal level.

I have never sought to exert control over someone's opinion of their sexuality or gender identification. Why would that even be in my purview? Why are so many people concerned with making people do or act the way they see fit? You are wasting you time. Work on yourself! Live your life!

CosmicSex said:
This child was adopted and its impossible to know whats going on without looking deeper into his history. One assumes the she has both the resources and time to seek the best in mental care for her son. I'm not a big fan of gender assignments in the first place. Just the other day, I was watching Cartoon Network, and I saw the advertisements they had clearly aimed at Girls/Boys and I found both to be a bit more than contrived. It made me realize that advertisers shoehorn children based solely on their sex. They teach us what a boy is and should like and what a girl is and what should want. The purpose of doing this is to make it easier to segment them into the most basic of categories.

Kids don't come out all acting or wanting the same thing. Isn't it child abuse to shoehorn children into categories that we define for them? To a certain extent, I think it is.
My boyfriend for example, is clearly a man, but is very effeminate in some of his actions, like and desires. He says to me sometimes that he gets depressed because he was told that he is an abomination by members of a certain church. I told him he is fine the way he is and to ignore the outside voices that want to control the way his life on such a personal level.

I have never sought to exert control over someone's opinion of their sexuality or gender identification. Why would that even be in my purview? Why are so many people concerned with making people do or act the way they see fit? You are wasting you time. Work on yourself! Live your life!

are you a supporter of feminism?