By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo VR is sold out on some market area...

Was it out yet? I can't seem to find it in the NL.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
forest-spirit said:
In the UK it just barely made it into the Top 40 of individual SKU's (missed the Top 40 of combined SKU's) so if it is selling well it's not there!

However, it would have been #16 if you combined both skus. There was a complete set version at £69.99 and a starter set for £34.99 remember.

I knew that there were two SKU's but the would-be ranking if they were combined is news to me. So it didn't do super terrible then.

kirby007 said:
Probably due to the lower supply over the previous versions

Nintendo up to their artificial supply constraints again?

I did notice that it was completely sold out from the Labo end cap display at my local Target while out shopping with my wife the other day. My Best Buy is showing it as being in stock though.

ironmanDX said:
kirby007 said:
Probably due to the lower supply over the previous versions

Nintendo up to their artificial supply constraints again?

Everyone knows that's why Reggie is retiring... it's just cos he needs to spend more time flying around the world buying thousands of Switches in each country so it appears popular!

On topic though, the kit looks pretty interesting if I'm honest, and nice to see games like Zelda getting free patches to inject VR into them if the user has the kid, very different from the PS4 experience with titles like Driveclub and Doom requiring new versions of the game to make use of the 400e VR kit.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Marth said:
We now have data from Japan
The VR kit opened at 26k which is double of the drive kit. around the same as the robot kit and about a quarter of the variety kit.

So it is nothing remarkable. Doesn't seem like it will outsell PSVR as some people expected.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

forest-spirit said:
Green098 said:

However, it would have been #16 if you combined both skus. There was a complete set version at £69.99 and a starter set for £34.99 remember.

I knew that there were two SKU's but the would-be ranking if they were combined is news to me. So it didn't do super terrible then.

From Zhuge: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-14-2019.110232/page-2#post-19873198

DonFerrari said:
Marth said:
We now have data from Japan
The VR kit opened at 26k which is double of the drive kit. around the same as the robot kit and about a quarter of the variety kit.

So it is nothing remarkable. Doesn't seem like it will outsell PSVR as some people expected.

Can you point me to some of these people.

Acevil said:
DonFerrari said:

Can you point me to some of these people.

Look no further than a thread in VGC that was asking Labo VR vs PSVR.

Unfortunately VGC search function is shitty.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ptofhearts said:
Sometimes I have a feeling the Labo should have been a hit from the get go but something went wrong. It's definitely a great idea, but I think it suffered marketing-wise because people mocked the cardboard thing. Anyways, maybe it picks up steam later on.

From what I gather, there were two major issues and one minor issue:

1) The price. The robot suit being an extra ten dollars hurt some consumer perception.

2) It takes effort. This is the biggest one. People seemed to like the concept and enjoy the idea of it (talking general public) but to spend time putting it together seemed to immediately put a bit of, "frustration" on the face of many customers. So many times I was asked, "Do they have one that is already put together or do I have to do it myself?" and I knew at that moment, the customer was lost. The biggest selling point of Switch to the general public, despite what many people on sites like this think, was the ease of use. Take it off the dock and continue playing. Put it on the dock and continue playing. No menu screens, no calibrations, no effort necessary. Just set it down and play. That is not the case with Labo and it has turned many customers off. Pay more and work harder... many were not going.

3) Space. Lesser but still something I hear among the general public is, "where are we going to put this stuff when we are not using it. Our apartment is small/house is already crowded". I do not think this one is huge but it does factor in. Labo seemed to generate interest in the concept but unfortunately, the execution and work required for the (what is perceived as) minimal payoff has created the barriers preventing the product's success.

Last edited by GhaudePhaede010 - on 17 April 2019

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000