By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry Hellblade Switch port analysis- Really impressive port

One of my favourite games on ps4. So happy to see this game on switch. Will pick it up when on sale.

Around the Network

My third purchase of this game. Fourth if you count the time I bought it for some random person on Facebook.

I kinda feel like some voices are missing but I could be remembering it wrong. Enjoying it. Yeah, there's a lot of compromises but at the end of the day, it's a great looking game. A fantastic showcase of what is possible on the Switch.

Grabbed it for 15 dollars in the Mexican eShop. You should do the same if you have the opportunity.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

d21lewis said:
A fantastic showcase of what is possible on the Switch.

Yeah, I feel like more than any game previously released on the system, Hellblade really seems to indicate that the Switch has still has untapped potential and that we haven't yet seen the full extent of how far it can be pushed.

2 years ago, I never imagined Switch would ever be producing results like this.

curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah, I feel like more than any game previously released on the system, Hellblade really seems to indicate that the Switch has still has untapped potential and that we haven't yet seen the full extent of how far it can be pushed.

Let's not get ahead of oursleves. Hellblade looks quite fine in its best version(s) and it's really good port, but besides quite substantial cut downs, its very confined game to start with that would've been able to run on PS360.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Let's not get ahead of oursleves. Hellblade looks quite fine in its best version(s) and it's really good port, but besides quite substantial cut downs, its very confined game to start with that would've been able to run on PS360.

Not like this though. A theoretical PS3/360 port might be able to retain the core gameplay framework but it wouldn't even look like Hellblade anymore as you'd have to gut the rendering pipeline and crush its RAM footprint down to less than 1/6th the size of even the Switch version.

curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:

I disagree, I think Hellblade shows what the Switch is capable of doing, if you push it all the way to its limits.
This is a port job, where its not just resolution cut backs, or halved framerates.
They used video cutscenes (because it beats what the system can do), and they scale down textures, special effects, lightning, shadows, ect ect.

They spared no effort in optimising this game for the switch.
This is as far as the switch can go.

Which is still impressive, Switch uses like ~20watts vs the PS4 slims useing like ~90watts to play a game like this.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

I disagree, I think Hellblade shows what the Switch is capable of doing, if you push it all the way to its limits.
This is a port job, where its not just resolution cut backs, or halved framerates.
They used video cutscenes (because it beats what the system can do), and they scale down textures, special effects, lightning, shadows, ect ect.

Which is still impressive, Switch uses like ~20watts vs the PS4 slims useing like ~90watts to play a game like this.

While what you're saying is true, and there have been cutbacks to get Hellblade on the Switch, how many times have we heard "_____ pushes the PS3/Xbox 360 to its limit" or "The PS4/Xbox One won't be able to produce much better visuals than this because the architecture is already outdated" only to see better and better software?

Hellblade may push the Switch to the limit right now but that limit may be a little higher a year from now.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

Not like this though. A theoretical PS3/360 port might be able to retain the core gameplay framework but it wouldn't even look like Hellblade anymore as you'd have to gut the rendering pipeline and crush its RAM footprint down to less than 1/6th the size of even the Switch version.

As I said already, Hellblade is very, very confined game. if Rise of Tomb Raider on 360 looked quite good, Hellblade woulkd work as well.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

In Switch's first year I'm sure a lot of people would've said Doom 2016 was as far as it could ever be pushed. That game itself has since gotten updates to improve performance beyond launch level. Hellblade is no doubt pushing the Switch very hard, but I don't think it's a safe bet at all to say it's the best we'll ever see from the system. There are years to go yet before Switch is discontinued, and this will not be the last game to set out to maximize the hardware.

As d21lewis points out "x platform is maxed out" has been said countless times over the years only for even better looking and more technically advanced games to come out further down the line.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

As I said already, Hellblade is very, very confined game. if Rise of Tomb Raider on 360 looked quite good, Hellblade woulkd work as well.

Rise of the Tomb Raider had to strip out all the 8th gen rendering techniques of its big brother to work on 360. You'd pretty much have to do the same for Hellblade, hence fundamentally changing its core aesthetic.

Ultimately Switch is considerably more capable hardware than PS3 or 360 so if Switch can only just manage a reasonable approximation of the full fat version, PS3/360 are going to end up being rebuilt to the point where they look totally different.