By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Switch sales comparison: some things to consider

Xxain said:
KLAMarine said:

I think I should have made clear that often times, I see some impressed by the PS4's sales. One can see this going through http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239744.

For whatever reason however, no potential caveats are ever brought up. I have yet to see any mention of PS4 and PS4 Pro sales figures being lumped in together for example.

What does that matter? Should we not count Sales of Pokemon versions because a large amount of people buy  multiple versions? Is my purchase of Yellow version invalidated because I owned Red?

Point is PS4 has different models, Switch does not.

zorg1000 said:
KLAMarine said:

I think I should have made clear that often times, I see some impressed by the PS4's sales. One can see this going through http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239744.

For whatever reason however, no potential caveats are ever brought up. I have yet to see any mention of PS4 and PS4 Pro sales figures being lumped in together for example.

Because it's not worth mentioning. People didnt seperate 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS or the "New" models when discussing sales or any other console with multiple skus.

As for NES/SNES Classic, the $60-80 devices to play 25-35 year old games arent stealing sales from the $300 new console with brand new $60 games.

"Because it's not worth mentioning. People didnt seperate 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS or the "New" models when discussing sales or any other console with multiple skus."

>They should if they were to compare it to another platform that does not have alternate models.

"As for NES/SNES Classic, the $60-80 devices to play 25-35 year old games arent stealing sales from the $300 new console with brand new $60 games."

>Unless there's someone looking to play a Mario game and don't care if it's a 2d or 3d platformer or looking for something with 'Nintendo' on it.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Xxain said:

What does that matter? Should we not count Sales of Pokemon versions because a large amount of people buy  multiple versions? Is my purchase of Yellow version invalidated because I owned Red?

zorg1000 said:

Because it's not worth mentioning. People didnt seperate 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS or the "New" models when discussing sales or any other console with multiple skus.

As for NES/SNES Classic, the $60-80 devices to play 25-35 year old games arent stealing sales from the $300 new console with brand new $60 games.

"Because it's not worth mentioning. People didnt seperate 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS or the "New" models when discussing sales or any other console with multiple skus."

>They should if they were to compare it to another platform that does not have alternate models.

"As for NES/SNES Classic, the $60-80 devices to play 25-35 year old games arent stealing sales from the $300 new console with brand new $60 games."

>Unless there's someone looking to play a Mario game and don't care if it's a 2d or 3d platformer or looking for something with 'Nintendo' on it.

Nobody knows how many people are new owners or upgrades, thus we cant seperate them.

And that's like 13 people in the world? It's such a minuscule amount of people who would skip a $300 device for a $60 device that plays  30 year old games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

What about parents who bought multiple Switches for the household? Should those count? You completely walked around my Pokemon question.

KLAMarine said:
LivingMetal said:
I have yet to buy a Switch, but I plan to. How is this applicable to your topic... I dunno.

Are you waiting on a newer model?

At first I was going to award my daughter a Switch when she brings home straight A's for the last 9 weeks.  But then it's going to be delayed because of the newer models.

zorg1000 said:
KLAMarine said:

Nobody knows how many people are new owners or upgrades, thus we cant separate them.

And that's like 13 people in the world? It's such a minuscule amount of people who would skip a $300 device for a $60 device that plays  30 year old games.

"Nobody knows how many people are new owners or upgrades, thus we cant separate them."

>This is at least worth a mention.

"And that's like 13 people in the world? It's such a minuscule amount of people who would skip a $300 device for a $60 device that plays  30 year old games."

>$60 is $240+ in savings though.

Xxain said:
What about parents who bought multiple Switches for the household? Should those count? You completely walked around my Pokemon question.

Switch doesn't have the same problem as the 3DS. The Switch can be converted into a console in a split second for multiplayer play so not sure parents would have a reason to buy multiple. It comes with two controllers right out of the box even!

Around the Network

This thread is irrelevent.

Geralt99 said:
This thread is irrelevent.

How?

I do think the pro model point is a good one, and I hope the switch gets a worthy pro model as well

KLAMarine said:
zorg1000 said:

Nobody knows how many people are new owners or upgrades, thus we cant separate them.

"Nobody knows how many people are new owners or upgrades, thus we cant separate them."

>This is at least worth a mention.

"And that's like 13 people in the world? It's such a minuscule amount of people who would skip a $300 device for a $60 device that plays  30 year old games."

>$60 is $240+ in savings though.

You're not really grasping how these things work.

Products with massive price differences do not compete against one another. They either are aimed at different markets or complement each other.

For example, a 32" 720p TV for $150 is not in competition with the $1000 70" 4K TV.

The person getting the small $150 TV was either never going to get the $1000 TV or something like they already have a nice, big TV for the entertainment room and are getting the $150 one for their kids bedroom.

The $150 TV did not steal a sale from the $1000 TV just like the $60 retro console with 30 predownlaoded games is not stealing sales from the $300 new console with $60 new games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This is a very weak point to make I don't want to be rude though. Nearly every console gets newer SKUs released that could appeal to those who already own one. The Switch will as well eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.