By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Naoki Hamaguchi has upgraded to co-director for FINAL FANTASY Vll REMAKE; FINAL FANTASY XIV team well into their next gen project (Possibly FFXVI)

Keybladewielder said:
I really hope Yoshida's game is FF16 and not another MMO (though, like another user said, they don't have much reason to make another MMO, as FF14 still makes tons of money). Also, I wonder what is Ito doing...would be cool if he was involved in FF16.

I'm almost sure I recently read a statement from SE that there is not gonna be a new MMO anytime soon since FF14 is doing well. Can't find it, though.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

In other words Nomura has a new stunt double after Tabata's departure and can once again work on two games at once.

Also glad for yoshi-p I hope he gets to direct FFXVI



V-r0cK said:

Here's one example:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-director-didnt-know-he-was-/1100-6428460/

shikamaru317 said:
V-r0cK said:

Here's one example:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-director-didnt-know-he-was-/1100-6428460/

Lol, I forgot about that. Square leadership seems like a real mess. 

If you read the actual interview that quote comes from, Nomura was always part of the FF7 remake team. He just assumed Kitase was the director while Kitase wanted him to be the director. Part of this is because Nomura was the one who wanted to make an FF7 remake years before. That said, Nomura doesn't direct anything by himself anyways. So I wouldnt say that is proof that work is being thrust upon him.

RenCutypoison said:

In other words Nomura has a new stunt double after Tabata's departure and can once again work on two games at once.

Also glad for yoshi-p I hope he gets to direct FFXVI

Nomura has always co-directed games for the longest time. he hasnt be the only director on a game since KH2 in 2005. 



twintail said:
V-r0cK said:

Here's one example:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-director-didnt-know-he-was-/1100-6428460/

shikamaru317 said:

Lol, I forgot about that. Square leadership seems like a real mess. 

If you read the actual interview that quote comes from, Nomura was always part of the FF7 remake team. He just assumed Kitase was the director while Kitase wanted him to be the director. Part of this is because Nomura was the one who wanted to make an FF7 remake years before. That said, Nomura doesn't direct anything by himself anyways. So I wouldnt say that is proof that work is being thrust upon him.

Ya he knew he always wanted to be a part of the game, but probably thought he'd just give some points here and there because he was already busy dealing with KH3 and FFXV so he would have never thought he'd be directing FFVII remake.  But then to just suddenly give him the role of director unknowingly is a huge difference. 

Probably that's why ultimately they had him drop FFXV and gave it to Tabitha because doing 3 huge games at once was going to be too much workload.  And again, they shifted his position around from one game to another.

I do a lot of project managing in my field and it's horrible juggling between projects only to get taken off one to start a new one out of the blue.  So trying to put myself in his position would be really stressful and im sure his position is a million times harder than mine.



V-r0cK said:
Ka-pi96 said:
meh.

If he had been made sole director and fully replaced that imcompetent fool nomura then it would be something worth talking about. But as it is the game will still be ruined by nomura.

I personally like Nomura's work but I think the problem isnt Nomura's incompetent but moreso that Square keeps making him jump all over the place doing too many large projects at once. 

Correct me if im wrong, but I'm sure he had to juggle between KH3, FFXV and started FFVII remake at one point before dropping FFXV to Tabitha (that screwed that up and revamped almost everything).  Nomura can't seem to catch a break and just have a FF game to focus all to himself.  But maybe now that the KH is series is supposedly over (for now) maybe he can try again next time?  A man can only do so much on his own.

To this day I will forever wonder how FF Versus XIII/FFXV could've turned out if Square just let him focus on it.

His team was also stripped away from XV (then XIII Versus) to help finish XIII because they were lagging behind.  It's not really his fault, but SE lacking talent they can trust to make a game without his input.



Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Nomura is SE last hope, Yoshida is ok too. Also Nomura is designing new bosses for upcoming FFXIV raids. SE really have the guy working overtime.

lol, absolutely not. No one can deny his talents, especially as a character designer but all of his recent projects have been convoluted mess from a story perspective & his gameplay ideas haven't really evolved with the times. 

Personally I would love to see Hiroyuki Ito direct another game, without stakeholders trying to force JRPG tropes into his narrative. But ultimately the idea that Square has to cling to one of these guys is probably part of the problem. 



Actually scrap it entirely, give FF16 to new blood. Not the same circle jerk of the last 20 years.



Landale_Star said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

“Based on the former 5th Business Division, the newly established Third Development Division has started work on a new key project following Final Fantasy XIV, taking up a challenge for the next generation,” 

The way he says "next generation" makes it sound like they are making another MMO.  I hope not.  They need to make single player games more frequently.

Yoshi-P has said many things over the past couple of years about FFXVI. He has said he would take the game on if asked and expressed the desire to see FFXVI have a medieval fantasy type setting. It's possible that his team is now working on FFXVI as a next gen game. That artwork shows the type of airship that would feature in the game he has described.

But it could be an MMO although I think it's unlikely unless the game is still a long way off since FFXIV is still going strong and getting a new expansion this year, even FFXI is still going with talks of something special for the 20th anniversary in 2022. So although a third FF MMO is likely at some point, this mystery project might not be it.

Thanks for all of this info.  I thought they were going to cancel XI, but if it is still going, then that gives me hope that they won't bother with another MMO for a while.  Two should already be plenty.

I would really, really love another medieval fantasy type of Final Fantasy like 1, 4, 9 or Tactics.  These tend to splash in a little sci-fi, but still keep it mostly medieval.  I liked the departure of 6 & 7 into a more sci-fi/fantasy hybrid, but by the time it got to 8, I felt that the sci-fi heavy side had gotten old, and since then Final Fantasy has been at least as much sci-fi as it has been fantasy.  Ironically, medieval fantasy would be a change of pace at this point.



Otter said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Nomura is SE last hope, Yoshida is ok too. Also Nomura is designing new bosses for upcoming FFXIV raids. SE really have the guy working overtime.

lol, absolutely not. No one can deny his talents, especially as a character designer but all of his recent projects have been convoluted mess from a story perspective & his gameplay ideas haven't really evolved with the times. 

Personally I would love to see Hiroyuki Ito direct another game, without stakeholders trying to force JRPG tropes into his narrative. But ultimately the idea that Square has to cling to one of these guys is probably part of the problem. 

that is an interesting backhanded compliment for the guys work. I never expected that from you.

 



The_Liquid_Laser said:
Landale_Star said:

Yoshi-P has said many things over the past couple of years about FFXVI. He has said he would take the game on if asked and expressed the desire to see FFXVI have a medieval fantasy type setting. It's possible that his team is now working on FFXVI as a next gen game. That artwork shows the type of airship that would feature in the game he has described.

But it could be an MMO although I think it's unlikely unless the game is still a long way off since FFXIV is still going strong and getting a new expansion this year, even FFXI is still going with talks of something special for the 20th anniversary in 2022. So although a third FF MMO is likely at some point, this mystery project might not be it.

Thanks for all of this info.  I thought they were going to cancel XI, but if it is still going, then that gives me hope that they won't bother with another MMO for a while.  Two should already be plenty.

I would really, really love another medieval fantasy type of Final Fantasy like 1, 4, 9 or Tactics.  These tend to splash in a little sci-fi, but still keep it mostly medieval.  I liked the departure of 6 & 7 into a more sci-fi/fantasy hybrid, but by the time it got to 8, I felt that the sci-fi heavy side had gotten old, and since then Final Fantasy has been at least as much sci-fi as it has been fantasy.  Ironically, medieval fantasy would be a change of pace at this point.

Well, don't get your hopes up too much since we really don't know what will happen. Personally, I don't care what the setting is for a Final Fantasy game, I just want a good game so whether it's castles or space travel, I'll give it a shot.

I do hope it is FFXVI or something else offline because even though FFXI is one of my favourite games ever, I don't really want a third MMO since I already play XI and hardly have the time for XIV as it is.