By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Pemalite said:

America.

People constantly screech "my rights" when it comes to their individual freedoms, like owning guns...
..But will happily take those rights away from women, they don't get the right to choose what they do with their own body... If it was anyone else, it would be "constitution this, constitution that".

You also know they have things backwards when the penalty for aborting a child conceived from a rape is LARGER than the rape itself. Baffles the brain.

I am glad that is not a nation that I reside in. - Which begs the question. Isn't it a progressive government in power? How did this even happen?

One big problem is that far too many human rights issues are relegated to first-level government subdivisions rather than being uniform across the board. This despite 233 years of overwhelming evidence that states cannot be trusted to safely manage such issues.

One big fight that is coming is conflicting state laws. Red states are going to do their damnedest to extend their jurisdiction beyond their borders and try to punish abortion-seekers for things that are legal and protected in blue states. Across the Mississippi River from St. Louis in red Missouri are abortion clinics in East St. Louis in blue Illinois.  Missouri is trying to pass laws where someone who travels out of Missouri to seek abortions can be prosecuted. Texas and Idaho are trying vigilantism, with Texas allowing anybody who has knowledge of an abortion being able to sue an abortion provider, something which completely throws the keystone common-law legal concept of standing out the window. Idaho, which is surrounded on two sides by blue Washington, Oregon, and Nevada, has narrowed it down to family members of either the mother and father being able to sue for up to $20,000 if a woman goes out of state to get an abortion. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 25 June 2022

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Pemalite said:

Because the senate is the lynch pen in getting laws and appointments through the system.  The senate is split with a democratic in West Virgina voting republican.  So in a sense Americans are too stupid to realize voting for senators is more, especially during mid terms, than voting for president.  Obama's last 4 years the senate was republican controlled and he couldn't get a court nomination.

It is all about the senate, which people here cannot figure out.

The house, more often than not, isn't a problem because New York and California have large populations.

This is false, Manchin votes with Biden nearly all the time. FAR more than you'd expect for a Blue Dog hailing from a R+30 state.

Blame Maine or Florida instead. The former reelected Ms. Concerned, the latter ran the worst campaign ever in 2018 and likely lost due to a poorly printed ballot.

Chris Hu said:
KLAMarine said:

What does RvW overturning mean for abortion? Is it now up to the states what sort of restrictions will be placed on abortion?

That what it means exactly.  A lot of states already want to make it completely illegal to have an abortion.  But that will backfire in some of those states eventually when they will, have a flood of unwanted kids on their hands that will end up in the foster system.

Chrkeller said:
KLAMarine said:

What does RvW overturning mean for abortion? Is it now up to the states what sort of restrictions will be placed on abortion?

Yes.  So basically New York will have extreme protection of rights.  Texas will ban everything.  Places like North Carolina will be in between.

Good to hear it's not complete lights out on abortion...

Ryuu96 said:

Saw this quote from a Pastor being posted last night which is perfect.

Well prisoners, immigrants, the sick, the poor, etc. are still capable to advocate for themselves to at least some degree. They can post on forums, show up to represent themselves in court, can protest their treatment.

The unborn CANNOT do ANY of that. They're as powerless as a smear on a Petri dish...

I can't imagine a group more powerless than the unborn... Perhaps those in vegetative states? Then again, those people can at least potentially lean on past relationships to fall back on.

"They all get thrown under the bus..."

What is this Dave fella on about? Get thrown under what bus? Advocating for the unborn doesn't come at the cost of advocacy for the sick, the poor, widows, etc.... These different advocacies are not mutually exclusive...

KLAMarine said:

What is this Dave fella on about? Get thrown under what bus? Advocating for the unborn doesn't come at the cost of advocacy for the sick, the poor, widows, etc.... These different advocacies are not mutually exclusive...

They are mutually exclusive when the poor, sick or widowed have a uterus. 

That is the problem here. Legislating pro-life opinions and beliefs will always be taking away the rights of women and those who can bear children. Taking away those rights infringes on freedoms by allowing the state to interfere in an individual's private medical decisions. I cannot support that.

So, people can no longer take police to court over Miranda rights violations, and women are no longer equal to men in the US.

The people of the US are getting fucked in the ass with rusty knife. The question is why choose this moment for it? What is the motivation?

Last edited by Jumpin - on 25 June 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

So, people can no longer take police to court over Miranda rights violations, and women are no longer equal to men in the US.

The people of the US are getting fucked in the ass with rusty knife. The question is why choose this moment for it? What is the motivation?

The same mentality that gets Viktor Orban re-elected, and the same mentality that just got Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. elected as president of the Philippines. 

Jumpin said:

Well, the Equal Rights Amendment never passed, so that was never true to begin with.

This is the culmination of 40 years of dedicated and relentless effort from the Federalist Society. And more is yet to come so that the red states can be as bad as they wish to be.

I enjoyed this guy's content on Vox but only discovered his independent channel recently. I've been going through his videos and this one was especially poignant in light of recent events. Highly recommended for anyone losing hope amidst the rising wave of insanity sweeping the globe. Maybe save it for whenever you need some background listening:

KLAMarine said:

Well prisoners, immigrants, the sick, the poor, etc. are still capable to advocate for themselves to at least some degree. They can post on forums, show up to represent themselves in court, can protest their treatment.

Put yourself in their shoes... Let's say -you- got raped and fell pregnant... And this is the current development stage of your embryo:

You are basically saying you forgo your right to ownership over your own body and will give it to this collection of cells that hasn't fully formed.

KLAMarine said:

The unborn CANNOT do ANY of that. They're as powerless as a smear on a Petri dish...

Doesn't mean they get rights over someone elses body.

KLAMarine said:

I can't imagine a group more powerless than the unborn... Perhaps those in vegetative states? Then again, those people can at least potentially lean on past relationships to fall back on.

And what happens when they are born and not wanted?

I find it really really baffling that pro-life advocates are happy to protect, protest and support an unborn fetus... But that is where the support stops.
Because once that fetus is born, they don't care if it ends up in jail, homeless, dead, abused or whatever else.

A child is a lifelong commitment... So if you are against abortion, I hope you are setting aside a % of your wage to support unwanted homeless kids.

And at the end of the day... And with all due respect, you are a male. You do -not- get the right to dictate what women should and must do with their bodies... No man should.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

It is pretty clear what needs to be done if Democrats keep the Senate or regain it in the near-future: 

1. Abolish the filibuster 

2. Challenge the powers the Supreme Court took upon itself in Marbury vs. Madison, after passing a series of laws protecting the rights of Americans. 

Both of these institutions benefit the right-wing in the long term and are the major oligarchic institutions of the American political system.