By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Bofferbrauer2 said:
KLAMarine said:

Both sides are not equally good. Protesting against true, deep-reaching social injustices or protesting against fake, totally made-up election irregularities, it is not the same at all.

Fixed it for you

Wasn't broken to begin with.

RolStoppable said:
KLAMarine said:

Fixed this for you.

KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

The only thing left to say at this point is that the VGC mod team may be falling into the same trap as the DNC for so long by trying to maintain some kind of moral high ground, because supposedly doing the right thing is not okay when individuals on the fringe could be using such actions as a way to victimize themselves.

There's no justification whatsoever why you specifically should still be given the benefit of the doubt for your behavior in political threads. Your contributions are unmistakingly and consistently detrimental by wasting everyone's time, including the mods'. And when seemingly nothing is done about it, then it's fundamentally necessary to tell it like it is to get something done.

Your posts plain suck. You don't make an effort to be funny. You contribute nothing of value.

I'm sorry you feel that way. My posts make me laugh, if they didn't make you laugh, you get what you pay for.

Hiku said:
KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

Every election has irregularities.
That's handled in each respective state. Not in D.C. after they've been certified.
Trump's legal team had 2 months to present a single piece of evidence of fraud. But in none of the 60+ court cases that they were laughed out of did they even alledge fraud. Because it's illegal to lie in court.

Trump Cries Voter Fraud. In Court, His Lawyers Don’t. - WSJ
- The Washington Post
Why Trump’s lawyers can lie to you but not to a judge - Chicago Sun-Times
In Court, Trump's Lawyers Aren't Claiming Sweeping Fraud | Time

The crowd in D.C. were there because Trump told them that;

- He won.
- Mike Pence could send back the certified votes.

None of these things were true.
But they were chanting "stop the steal". To stop the process of electing the certified winner.

For the record, I don't agree with the notion that the election was "stolen" or anything like that. I'm just clarifying why some were protesting the election results.

If some think the election was stolen, I try not to attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

JWeinCom said:
KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

No, this is frankly stupid. Protesting is legal no matter what you're protesting. That doesn't mean it's good no matter what you're protesting. Which was the clear point of the original post. 

At this point, burden's on you to show that they were protesting something worth protesting. That they were indeed there simply to "protest election irregularities" rather than to demand their chosen candidate is installed, and that there was a legitimate basis for believing such irregularities to exist. Hiku and Machiavellian's posts are a good point to start. And, the response should contain clear positive evidence rather than allusions to the mere possibility of confirming evidence somewhere out there. No need to respond to this post (in fact I'd prefer you didn't because you have enough people who are wasting time on this), but just wanted to let you know expectations, in the case that moderation happens which is looking possible.

Some of the protestors would tell you that a stolen election is worth protesting. I don't think the election was stolen but if it was stolen somehow, I'd like to think all in this thread would agree it was a wrong worth fighting for to correct.

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

Fixed it properly. There was never any proven systemic irregularities that could have changed the result of the election. There's a reason Trumps 60+ cases were almost all thrown out right away, it was all just Trump trying to avoid looking like a loser, pandering to his base's echo chamber, and grifting money through his "donate to stop the steal" fundraisers.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 15 January 2021

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Fixed it for you

RolStoppable said:

KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

The only thing left to say at this point is that the VGC mod team may be falling into the same trap as the DNC for so long by trying to maintain some kind of moral high ground, because supposedly doing the right thing is not okay when individuals on the fringe could be using such actions as a way to victimize themselves.

There's no justification whatsoever why you specifically should still be given the benefit of the doubt for your behavior in political threads. Your contributions are unmistakingly and consistently detrimental by wasting everyone's time, including the mods'. And when seemingly nothing is done about it, then it's fundamentally necessary to tell it like it is to get something done.

Your posts plain suck. You don't make an effort to be funny. You contribute nothing of value.

I'm sorry you feel that way. My posts make me laugh, if they didn't make you laugh, you get what you pay for.

Hiku said:

That's handled in each respective state. Not in D.C. after they've been certified.
Trump's legal team had 2 months to present a single piece of evidence of fraud. But in none of the 60+ court cases that they were laughed out of did they even alledge fraud. Because it's illegal to lie in court.

- The Washington Post

- He won.

But they were chanting "stop the steal". To stop the process of electing the certified winner.

For the record, I don't agree with the notion that the election was "stolen" or anything like that. I'm just clarifying why some were protesting the election results.

If some think the election was stolen, I try not to attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

JWeinCom said:

No, this is frankly stupid. Protesting is legal no matter what you're protesting. That doesn't mean it's good no matter what you're protesting. Which was the clear point of the original post. 

At this point, burden's on you to show that they were protesting something worth protesting. That they were indeed there simply to "protest election irregularities" rather than to demand their chosen candidate is installed, and that there was a legitimate basis for believing such irregularities to exist. Hiku and Machiavellian's posts are a good point to start. And, the response should contain clear positive evidence rather than allusions to the mere possibility of confirming evidence somewhere out there. No need to respond to this post (in fact I'd prefer you didn't because you have enough people who are wasting time on this), but just wanted to let you know expectations, in the case that moderation happens which is looking possible.

Some of the protestors would tell you that a stolen election is worth protesting. I don't think the election was stolen but if it was stolen somehow, I'd like to think all in this thread would agree it was a wrong worth fighting for to correct.

curl-6 said:

Fixed it properly. There was never any proven systemic irregularities that could have changed the result of the election. There's a reason Trumps 60+ cases were almost all thrown out right away, it was all just Trump trying to avoid looking like a loser, pandering to his base's echo chamber, and grifting money through his "donate to stop the steal" fundraisers.

O_o... so, it was good that they protested a stolen election when there was no evidence the election was stolen..? O_o...

How un/popular is Donald Trump? Trump's Approval/Disapproval Rating

Ever since the attempted coup of the Capitol took place, Trump's approval rating has gone into freefall, it's at 38% in all polls, which is the lowest it has been since late Dec. 2017 and keeps getting lower. 

Removing Donald Trump?

And now, over 52% of the country supports removing him from office, which is actually higher than the percentage of people who voted for Biden in the election. 

JWeinCom said:
KLAMarine said:

RolStoppable said:

Hiku said:

- The Washington Post

- He won.

curl-6 said:

O_o... so, it was good that they protested a stolen election when there was no evidence the election was stolen..? O_o...

If they're convinced the election was stolen, their intentions are misguided but good. It's in their rights to protest what they perceive to be a wrong. Our job should be to hear out the misguided and show them how they're wrong.

Hiku said:
KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

That's handled in each respective state. Not in D.C. after they've been certified.

- The Washington Post

- He won.
- Mike Pence could send back the certified votes.

You know what amazes me most? That I remembered how dumb Trump was during the process, but could've never thought he'd be so blind as to not see the most capable avenue for clinging into power: he controlled the senates of the battleground states he needed to give him victory. All he needed was to arrange a discrete, modern day version of the "corrupt compromise" and get the GOP State Legislators to refuse certification without even needing to show up in Court. The state GOP could've just gone "lol no!" and logjammed the process for long enough to breach into the certification deadline, then throw certification into the Senate and finally, campaign like hell in Atlanta to keep the Senate and get the GOP House delegation (which was mentioned as having more seats) to vote him back into office. 

Guess what was the one thing he didn't try. Man, I knew he was bad, but I didn't know he was this bad 

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

Fixed this again.

Trying to destroy democracy is the most bs hyperbole you could get away with here, especially when it's not the first time something this shady happened. 

Well, if I ever chew Trump for something not Iran or China related, it will be because he was blinder than a bat and refused to so much as look up past elections on effing Wikipedia

It's also doubly amusing to realize Jimbo Wales could've given America four more year of Trump. 

Like people forget there were other corrupt bargains in US politics, and worse events like Far Harbor or 9/11, but apparently, a guy telling his people to march to the Capitol (not INTO the Capitol) to protest and some of his fans being lunatics who took that as a signal to occupy the Capitol. 

Also, at least in Canada, you can occupy the House of Commons and it's a minor offense. 

Around the Network
zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

You know there's a difference in empathy for those that get their shops burned down and those that burn themselves while trying to burn someone's shop down. There is tons of support for the capitol hill officer that lost his life, not so much for the rioter that had a heart attack while looting the capitol.

Yet maybe you have your who's the innocent side in this 'conflict' mixed up. Maybe Capitol hill police forced the protesters inside to beat on them, shoot them and scare them to death.

I never said that so it would be nice if words wasnt put in my mouth. Destroying buildings and hurting people is bad no matter what side does it, the is no such thing as peaceful when buildings and people are getting attacked. Clearly i think the people busting into capital hill and who hurt the police officer and anyone else are wrong just like i think the protesters who burned peoples shops and was going around pulling down statues and attacking people etc over the last year was also wrong.

I feel bad for the police officer who died. Wonder if his family would agree with your assessment that the rioters didn't mean any harm. As for the others, I feel bad they were mentally flawed to the point where they were there, but that's the extent to which my sympathy goes.

Hope you also feel the same about most of the other riots thats been going on over in the USA for the last year too.

Ya know the ones where peoples shops getting burned down, innocent people getting beat or killed for nothing etc etc.

I mean they where all peaceful protests right?.

Sounds to me you're implying we should feel as much sympathy for the rioters that got themselves killed as for the innocent bystanders that got killed?
Or maybe you're simply implying we should feel no sympathy for those rioters that get themselves killed while looting and burning down shops? Did @JWeinCom ever say he did?

It looks like you agree with the second statement, so where did @JWeinCom say we should feel sympathy for a rioter getting himself killed with burning down a shop? Or pulling a statue on top of himself.

Anyway I think pulling down statues is stupid as well. Make the inscription clear and factual, let it be a memory of how bad it was. You can always petition to move it to a museum instead, yet vandalizing history, that's Taliban stuff.

KLAMarine said:
JWeinCom said:

If they're convinced the election was stolen, their intentions are misguided but good. It's in their rights to protest what they perceive to be a wrong. Our job should be to hear out the misguided and show them how they're wrong.

The plane hijackers at 9/11 thought what they were doing was right. Donald Trump thinks what he is doing is right.

You talk as if these people could be reasoned with. If they could be reasoned with people wouldn't have died. When you reason with them they just double down, how do you think this escalated? People have been trying to reason with them for over 4 years. At some point you have to act so people don't get hurt. The time to reason is OVER. The time to act against them is now.

Or you tell me how you reason with people who don't want to reason. I mean you don't want to reason either and see what that brought us. A lot of wasted time and frustrated people.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
KLAMarine said:

The plane hijackers at 9/11 thought what they were doing was right. Donald Trump thinks what he is doing is right.

You talk as if these people could be reasoned with. If they could be reasoned with people wouldn't have died. When you reason with them they just double down, how do you think this escalated? People have been trying to reason with them for over 4 years. At some point you have to act so people don't get hurt. The time to reason is OVER. The time to act against them is now.

Or you tell me how you reason with people who don't want to reason. I mean you don't want to reason either and see what that brought us. A lot of wasted time and frustrated people.

Indeed, there are those who don't care to reason, that's when things turn ugly.

One should always try their best so at least one can say they tried their best.

"you don't want to reason either"

>What are you talking about?

KLAMarine said:
JWeinCom said:

Protest, yes.

Riot, violently forcing entry into fucking Congress of all places, threatening the security forces trying to protect the site, trying to apprehend and lynch Pence and several other politicians like they did? Hell no!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
KLAMarine said:

Protest, yes.

Riot, violently forcing entry into fucking Congress of all places, threatening the security forces trying to protect the site, trying to apprehend and lynch Pence and several other politicians like they did? Hell no!

Similar things happen in other countries somewhat regularly, where a despot cheats an election and is thrown out by the people. Then, we in the United States look at them and say "Good on them, fighting for democracy". If the election was stolen, I am of the mind that it would not be beyond the pale for the people to take action, even if that action was violent. This country is built upon establishing democracy through violence and our founding fathers were not above advocating for further violence in the name of protecting our democracy.

That is why Trump's rhetoric is so dangerous. By falsely asserting that the election was stolen and that the democrats pose an existential threat to this country, you are inherently advocating for violence. If you listen to people on the radical right, you regularly hear this, often through the quotations of our founding fathers. Even if you disagree with me when I say that violence to protect democracy is justified in certain circumstances, I do not believe there is any argument that it is to be expected. If you call someone a threat to democracy, this country's founding principles indicate a belief that violence is a justified response to that threat. 

The lie itself is incitement enough. The assertions from Trump and his allies that we need to go and "fight" are just icing.

Note: This is somewhat of a tangent, so don't feel like I am trying to argue directly with you. Just something I wanted to say.