By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
vivster said:

The point of impeachment and hopefully conviction is to not reward a piece of human garbage who permanently damaged a country and killed 400000 people with a huge pension.

Unfortunately, it seems that the president's only lose their pension if they are removed from office through the impeachment process. Because Trump will be out of office by the time the Senate considers removal, Trump will keep his pension under current law unless the courts take a fringe interpretation of the Constitution (which seems unlikely)

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

I must repeat: The BLM protests were to bring attention to systemic racism. Their goal was to stop the inherently bigoted idea that black men in particular are more dangerous - something that appears to be an intrinsically widespread ideal across the US - and the subsequent added violence that comes with unnecessary force used against black men that can result in death. Their intentions were to stop violence, and their protests contained some acts of incidental violence that went against the grain. Whether the rioters and looters were a part of BLM or not is irrelevant, the BLM protests were organized to be peaceful protests. any time you get that many people together with such an incendiary unifying theme, there will be heat.

The DC hostile takeover was not done to end violence or for any semblance of social justice, it was a terrorist organization that violently opposed a democratically decided election and intended to scare the establishment into compliance. Their violence was a direct result of their plans.

If you honestly think these two are the same regardless of context or intent, then you might need to accept that you're either ignorant or bigoted. Either you don't understand how law works (Criminal intent causing violence is a far more serious charge than incidental violence or accidental harm), or you're being disingenuous because you for some reason think that systemic racism isn't real (it is) or that somehow Biden stole the election (He didn't). Either way, it's funny seeing the arguments because I've never seen an issue that was so cut and dry and plainly obvious be so deliberately misconstrued.

Abortion? There are arguments to be had on both sides and there is no right answer. There's plenty of discussion to be had concerning this topic. Euthanasia? Capitol Punishment? Religious freedom or restrictions? All topics that have very compelling arguments on both sides regardless of what side you chose. I have my opinions on all of them but concede that my opinions on the matter are in fact opinions and not solid, undeniable fact.

But this current issue with BLM and Antifa and the capital riots and MAGA folks and Liberals? It's so disgustingly one-sided that I genuinely do not see how people can fall for it. I do not understand how people can be like 'oh systemic racism isn't a problem' despite the many, MANY examples of it cropping up in our daily lives. Despite actual stats and papers being written on the topic by sociologists. Despite it being clear as day. Maybe it's not as blatant as the KKK lynching people, but it's so clearly obvious to anyone who's actually paying attention or specializing in the field. I don't know how you can have people who say Biden stole the election or that there was voter fraud just because they didn't like the results? How could anyone trust a thing Trump says when he lies and makes shit up all the time and clearly has no idea what the fuck he's talking about.

I get that some people like things the way they were. Nostalgia is a powerful drug for sure. I get that things used to be simpler and change is scary. I get that it's weird for some of you to see trans people as real people and two dudes kissing makes you uncomfortable. Nostalgia is powerful and change is scary. This is true but you can't base your entire worldview on the false idea that things were better in the past by simple virtue of it being simpler. The reality of the world is far more complicated than that. We understand a lot more about psychology now than we did 70 years ago, we know a lot more about biology and chemistry, we have far more perspective and far better technology now. Things are objectively better now for a wider group of people for many, many reasons.

Stop trying to slow our progress. Stop resisting change. Stop acting like things are worse when people of colour want to be treated better. Stop pretending the world is magically perfect because we can't arbitrarily get away with prejudice. You can't pretend systemic racism doesn't exist just because there aren't laws to encourage it anymore. The real world is far more complicated than that and requires a lot more introspection and investigation.

there's a reason I do not respect the MAGA movement. They're either completely ignorant of the facts, laws, and reality of the situation they got themselves into or they just don't care and would rather things be like it was in the past, when bigotry was more rampant instead of subtle, and they could get away with using racial or sexual slurs. Ignorant or malicious. One or the other.

And I do not understand how, in a world where almost everyone has infinite access to the world's collective knowledge at their fingertip, that someone could still delude themselves into believing with the MAGA folk do. It feels to me like you're all so convinced of your own delusion that you're like flat earthers that went to the ISS and somehow still don't believe the world is an oblong spheroid despite literally seeing it with your own eyes. How are we so divided? How do people completely misrepresent reality? Why is it somehow so easy for some people to outright deny facts and logic, then spout nonsense like 'facts don't care about your feelings' with absolute certainty and a complete and utter lack of self-awareness.

What is this systemic racism you speak of?

sundin13 said:
vivster said:

The point of impeachment and hopefully conviction is to not reward a piece of human garbage who permanently damaged a country and killed 400000 people with a huge pension.

Unfortunately, it seems that the president's only lose their pension if they are removed from office through the impeachment process. Because Trump will be out of office by the time the Senate considers removal, Trump will keep his pension under current law unless the courts take a fringe interpretation of the Constitution (which seems unlikely)

We'll see how it plays out. The courts in the US have done wilder things. I guess it's up to the tenacity of lawyers and democrats how it ends. They have power now, they just need to use it. They can even write new laws and amendments to enact justice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
sundin13 said:

We'll see how it plays out. The courts in the US have done wilder things. I guess it's up to the tenacity of lawyers and democrats how it ends. They have power now, they just need to use it. They can even write new laws and amendments to enact justice.

Any possibility of negative repercussions are all contingent on conviction, which is very unlikely and more up to Republicans than Democrats. There is little they can actually do at the Federal level to use their power, even assuming that they were able to get past the filibuster. 

I support impeachment, because we must hold accountable those who abuse their power, but I don't see any strong likelihood of actual consequences. 

OlfinBedwere said:
SvennoJ said:

Anyway what was the point of the 2nd impeachment? What's the point of the whole impeachment process in the first place? All seems very pointless.

If Trump gets impeached, then he can't run for any form of elective office (in the US, at least) ever again. In other words, Trump 2024 will be dead before it even gets off the ground, unless he tries to set up Ivanka to run as his puppet president.

As for the point of the process, well, it's to get a clearly corrupt president out of office. Sure, the two-thirds of the senate bar is a high one to clear, but it's not impossible; Nixon resigned because all the evidence suggested any such vote would have gone about 85-15 against him, for instance.

Ah, thanks, I missed the second part of the process. It seemed impeachment does nothing since he already got impeached last time. Just the first step then to actually getting somewhere.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Runa216 said:

I must repeat: The BLM protests were to bring attention to systemic racism. Their goal was to stop the inherently bigoted idea that black men in particular are more dangerous - something that appears to be an intrinsically widespread ideal across the US - and the subsequent added violence that comes with unnecessary force used against black men that can result in death. Their intentions were to stop violence, and their protests contained some acts of incidental violence that went against the grain. Whether the rioters and looters were a part of BLM or not is irrelevant, the BLM protests were organized to be peaceful protests. any time you get that many people together with such an incendiary unifying theme, there will be heat.

The DC hostile takeover was not done to end violence or for any semblance of social justice, it was a terrorist organization that violently opposed a democratically decided election and intended to scare the establishment into compliance. Their violence was a direct result of their plans.

If you honestly think these two are the same regardless of context or intent, then you might need to accept that you're either ignorant or bigoted. Either you don't understand how law works (Criminal intent causing violence is a far more serious charge than incidental violence or accidental harm), or you're being disingenuous because you for some reason think that systemic racism isn't real (it is) or that somehow Biden stole the election (He didn't). Either way, it's funny seeing the arguments because I've never seen an issue that was so cut and dry and plainly obvious be so deliberately misconstrued.

Abortion? There are arguments to be had on both sides and there is no right answer. There's plenty of discussion to be had concerning this topic. Euthanasia? Capitol Punishment? Religious freedom or restrictions? All topics that have very compelling arguments on both sides regardless of what side you chose. I have my opinions on all of them but concede that my opinions on the matter are in fact opinions and not solid, undeniable fact.

But this current issue with BLM and Antifa and the capital riots and MAGA folks and Liberals? It's so disgustingly one-sided that I genuinely do not see how people can fall for it. I do not understand how people can be like 'oh systemic racism isn't a problem' despite the many, MANY examples of it cropping up in our daily lives. Despite actual stats and papers being written on the topic by sociologists. Despite it being clear as day. Maybe it's not as blatant as the KKK lynching people, but it's so clearly obvious to anyone who's actually paying attention or specializing in the field. I don't know how you can have people who say Biden stole the election or that there was voter fraud just because they didn't like the results? How could anyone trust a thing Trump says when he lies and makes shit up all the time and clearly has no idea what the fuck he's talking about.

I get that some people like things the way they were. Nostalgia is a powerful drug for sure. I get that things used to be simpler and change is scary. I get that it's weird for some of you to see trans people as real people and two dudes kissing makes you uncomfortable. Nostalgia is powerful and change is scary. This is true but you can't base your entire worldview on the false idea that things were better in the past by simple virtue of it being simpler. The reality of the world is far more complicated than that. We understand a lot more about psychology now than we did 70 years ago, we know a lot more about biology and chemistry, we have far more perspective and far better technology now. Things are objectively better now for a wider group of people for many, many reasons.

Stop trying to slow our progress. Stop resisting change. Stop acting like things are worse when people of colour want to be treated better. Stop pretending the world is magically perfect because we can't arbitrarily get away with prejudice. You can't pretend systemic racism doesn't exist just because there aren't laws to encourage it anymore. The real world is far more complicated than that and requires a lot more introspection and investigation.

there's a reason I do not respect the MAGA movement. They're either completely ignorant of the facts, laws, and reality of the situation they got themselves into or they just don't care and would rather things be like it was in the past, when bigotry was more rampant instead of subtle, and they could get away with using racial or sexual slurs. Ignorant or malicious. One or the other.

And I do not understand how, in a world where almost everyone has infinite access to the world's collective knowledge at their fingertip, that someone could still delude themselves into believing with the MAGA folk do. It feels to me like you're all so convinced of your own delusion that you're like flat earthers that went to the ISS and somehow still don't believe the world is an oblong spheroid despite literally seeing it with your own eyes. How are we so divided? How do people completely misrepresent reality? Why is it somehow so easy for some people to outright deny facts and logic, then spout nonsense like 'facts don't care about your feelings' with absolute certainty and a complete and utter lack of self-awareness.

Ever heard of the internet, big source of information
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-systemic-racism-in-charts-graphs-data-2020-6

SvennoJ said:
OlfinBedwere said:

If Trump gets impeached, then he can't run for any form of elective office (in the US, at least) ever again. In other words, Trump 2024 will be dead before it even gets off the ground, unless he tries to set up Ivanka to run as his puppet president.

As for the point of the process, well, it's to get a clearly corrupt president out of office. Sure, the two-thirds of the senate bar is a high one to clear, but it's not impossible; Nixon resigned because all the evidence suggested any such vote would have gone about 85-15 against him, for instance.

Ah, thanks, I missed the second part of the process. It seemed impeachment does nothing since he already got impeached last time. Just the first step then to actually getting somewhere.

To be clear Trump is only barred from office if:

1) He is impeached (By a simple majority; Already occurred)
2) He is then convicted in the Senate (By a 2/3 majority)
3) The Senate decides to impose a ban on running from further office as part of it's sentencing (By simple majority)

Each step requires the previous steps to have first happened. This is like the Indictment -> Criminal Trial -> Sentencing pathway of a typical criminal case. As it is unlikely for the second step to occur (but not impossible), it is unlikely that Trump will face any substantive damages beyond being the only President to be impeached twice and he will not be barred from running for office in 2024 unless the Senate convicts him.

Also, I would advise ignoring any sea lions who happen to wander into the thread. 

Well, the 17th has arrived in the US, a day which many on the MAGA side had singled out as a day for their "storm" to arrive and thus a day to watch out for in terms of more violence from their side, and yet unless I missed something, the promised marches and rising up against the "steal" haven't materialized thankfully.

Maybe deplatforming those inciting violence from social media actually accomplished something in crippling their ability to organize the kind of violence we saw on the 6th.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 January 2021

SvennoJ said:
KLAMarine said:

Ever heard of the internet, big source of information
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-systemic-racism-in-charts-graphs-data-2020-6

I thank you for the help but I asked Runa. I'd like to know what Runa meant by 'systemic racism'.

Runa216 said:

Actually is very easy.  For every ounce of information that says one thing, there is something else that has a counter.  Having friends that are very big Trump supporters and still are, I have seen and heard their reasoning.  I have gone to the web sites where they get their information and I have listened to the people they trust.  The thing about information is that its abundant and you can always find information that support your bias.  This just isn't isolated to just Trump supporters but people in general.  So the thing is, if you believe a certain way, if you think a certain way, you will definitely find someone who also believe and think the same thing or who is willing to use your bias for their own gain.  A lot of times you do not even know you are being marketed to when you read some story but you are.  Most news is heavily bias, where opinions are filed in with bits and pieces of information that may be true or twisted to support said person opinion.

Case in point would be someone like Ted Cruz.  Being a lawyer with the chops he has, he very much understands how the law works.  Think about the things he has said in favor of supporting the claims made by the President on Fraud and how he words his speech.  He has probably paid attention to every case but since he knows his words are designed to reach people who will not question what he says because he speaks to their bias, he leads them on with that false sense that he believe in their cause knowing its a joke.  Most politicians work like this and pretty much how marketing works.

The issue is never about how much information out there that people can use, its what they consider as information while tossing anything out that does not conform to their bias.