By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Pemalite said:

This is probably the largest economic recession in decades, more so than the GFC... But nations who managed COVID successfully are seeing better growth numbers. The USA has simply dropped the ball here.

Need an actual leader who will start taking charge of the issues rather than shifting blame to everyone and everything else.

Out of curiosity do you have any studies or comparisons for the claim that countries that handled covid better (less deaths I assume as the quality we're looking at for better) have had smaller economic impacts? It's something that makes sense to me but I'd love to have somethin to point to when questions about it later. 

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
TallSilhouette said:
US trade deficit hits 14 year high. The master deal maker strikes again.

A peculiar nick name for the corona virus...

2018 had the worst goods and services deficit since 2008 and the worst goods deficit of all time. 2019 was second place in both of those categories.

It is far from just the coronavirus which has caused this absolutely terrible run for our trade balance. It is also somewhat worth noting that all of the years that beat 2018 in terms of goods and services deficit occurred under George W Bush.

NightlyPoe said:
Torillian said:

So from wiki: "The Court ruled that because the races of the people involved were the only factors determining whether or not they broke the law, the law was therefore a violation of the Equal Protection Clause." 

Why can't I just take out "races" and put "sexes" in there and have the same logic?

To begin with, sex as a matter of the 14th Amendment is a much more nuanced subject than race.  Though the Supreme Court moved to include sex as a part of the 14th Amendment, it is only subject to intermediate scrutiny (where race gets strict scrutiny), which gives a lot more leeway for government interests.  And I'll just leave off the government interests opponents of gay marriage believe as I'm sure we've all heard them.

The problem with Obergefell and its predecessors, is that it got around this by inventing a new category of rights based not on traditional immutable classes of humanity, but on desires and wants.  And, despite the law treating each individual the same (a heterosexual person could obviously not marry a person of their own sex any more than a homosexual one), the difference in desire to that outcome somehow breaks Equal Protections.

As a matter of moral clarity, it makes sense, but as a matter of law, it is strange.  After all, we generally don't legalize things just because there is an unequal desire to do something in the populous.  Virtually any law would fall if we follow that to its logical conclusion.

That's just a semantic argument based on how you phrase it.

If you say the right in question is to marry someone of the opposite gender... then I guess.

If you say the right in question is to marry a man, or to marry a woman, then the result is different. A woman has the right to marry a man. A man does not have the right to marry a man.

Instead of of focusing on the abstract, lets use a concrete example. Milena Vayntrub (Lily from AT&T) and Elijah Wood both want to marry me. They both want to engage in the same exact same action. Why should the government allow Milena to do so, and not Elijah? Two people want to do the exact same thing, but one is prohibited based purely on their sex. How is the law treating them the same? And desire doesn't explain it, because they both desire the same thing, this sexy hunk of man right here.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 07 October 2020

CaptainExplosion said:
Who else has noticed the fly that landed on Pence?

After all, aren't flies attracted to fecal matter?

Don't insult feces like that.

CaptainExplosion said:

I can't believe official results just came in saying Pence won the debate. It's like either America is unconsciously attracted to lying, brainless conversion therapists, or that poll was rigged.

Source?

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

Don't insult feces like that.

Sorry, but there isn't any other putrid waste product to equate Pence to.

I can't believe official results just came in saying Pence won the debate. It's like either America is unconsciously attracted to lying, brainless conversion therapists, or that poll was rigged.

I just have this feeling that 4 more years of Trump and Pence is gonna cause World War III, seeing as it already came close enough to that when Trump stirred shit with Iran.

I didn't see the debate because even if Mike Pence were an amazing leader, it wouldn't matter if Trump won't listen to him, and Trump doesn't seem to listen to anyone around him. And I don't like Pence anyways.

I'd be skeptical of any polls that quickly done. 

But whoever won this debate, I don't think it will matter much to the election. Honestly I think it's more relevant to their political futures, particularly Harris.

CaptainExplosion said:
sundin13 said:

Source?

Every poll I've seen so far has showed that people favored Pence over Harris during the debate, even though he never let her get a word in and failed to answer important questions about such problems as white supremacy or climate change.

This is a prime example of the white male privilege that's come back to America in full force.

Yeah but... source? I can't find any polls from anywhere reputable.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah but... source? I can't find any polls from anywhere reputable.

Here and here.

It's why I dread the future. -_-

First one's actually at 50% at this point. And you have assholes like me who just vote for their candidate whether or not they even saw it. Second's only 1000 nonrandom people. So, I'm not really too concerned.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

First one's actually at 50% at this point. And you have assholes like me who just vote for their candidate whether or not they even saw it. Second's only 1000 nonrandom people. So, I'm not really too concerned.

Well I still am. Bush being elected twice, and then Trump being elected at all, makes me think American voters just don't like smart candidates with a sense of common decency.

I don't necessarily know if I'd make that assessment of Bush. I don't think he's a stupid man, just not capable of the kind of thought needed for the president. There are many smart people who, once they come to an opinion, simply won't budge on it. I think Bill O' Reilly sort of first into this category. And you need to be mentally flexible.

As for common decency, I don't think Bush is a bad person. I think he made some terrible fucking decisions... but I don't feel like they were made purely for his own self interest, at least in his mind. Like, maybe he had a personal motivation driving him to go to Iraq and that bias led to a disastrous decision, but I don't think it was willful. I think due to his bias and inflexible thinking, he just convinced himself it was the right thing to do.

Whereas with Trump, I think he's a genuine sociopath, who does not consider anything beyond what is to his personal benefit.

That being said I fucking wish so badly that Bush would have some balls and endorse Biden. To be fair, Bush has been relatively quiet after leaving office (whether that's due to him feeling that his time is done, or simply republicans not wanted to really associate themselves with him), but there are strong indications that Bush does not support Trump, and his anti-endorsement could actually help put an end to this.

TL:DR Bush was a terrible President. Trump is a terrible human being.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

Well I still am. Bush being elected twice, and then Trump being elected at all, makes me think American voters just don't like smart candidates with a sense of common decency.

In Bush's defense, I think he was just very homely and a bad speaker. I never got the impression he was stupid, just that he was rednecky and terribly when it came to public speaking. He also seemed to genuinely care about the US people even if he was going about most of it the wrong way. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android