By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The FBI arrested and charged 13 people with conspiracy for a plot to kidnap Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

The FBI arrested and charged 13 people with conspiracy for a plot to kidnap Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer.

I would hope to see Trump fiercely condemn this... let's see if that happens...

Mostly though, we should all be grateful for the men in the FBI and any other law enforcement or public officials that may have worked to make sure this did not come to pass. I don't know if these people were remotely competent enough to have any chance of success, but the results of this would probably have made the unrest in the George Floyd situation look like a slap fight.

So, good job to those doing the often thankless job of protecting us. Sometimes they get it wrong, and should be called out, but when they get it right they deserve our gratitude.

JWeinCom said:

I don't know if these people were remotely competent enough to have any chance of success, but the results of this would probably have made the unrest in the George Floyd situation look like a slap fight.

Well, they were dim enough to coordinate on fucking Facebook and their primary plan seemed to be taking people hostage (when does that ever work?), but they did successfully create an IED iirc. In any case it could have been bloody and catalyzed even more violence and insurrection elsewhere. The FBI has its problems, but at least they're good at stopping organized attacks in the homeland.

JWeinCom said:
SanAndreasX said:

Mostly though, we should all be grateful for the men in the FBI and any other law enforcement or public officials that may have worked to make sure this did not come to pass. I don't know if these people were remotely competent enough to have any chance of success, but the results of this would probably have made the unrest in the George Floyd situation look like a slap fight.

So, good job to those doing the often thankless job of protecting us. Sometimes they get it wrong, and should be called out, but when they get it right they deserve our gratitude.

Agreed. A kidnapping of a major government official could have been the spark that ignited a huge pile of dry kindling, especially depending on the way Trump responded. 

TallSilhouette said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't know if these people were remotely competent enough to have any chance of success, but the results of this would probably have made the unrest in the George Floyd situation look like a slap fight.

Well, they were dim enough to coordinate on fucking Facebook and their primary plan seemed to be taking people hostage (when does that ever work?), but they did successfully create an IED iirc. In any case it could have been bloody and catalyzed even more violence and insurrection elsewhere. The FBI has its problems, but at least they're good at stopping organized attacks in the homeland.

Unfortunately it’s not that difficult to create an IED. 

The FBI is often an exception to the right’s otherwise staunch support of law enforcement. Conservatives cried foul over LaVoy Finnicum, and many of them accused the FBI of being a part of the “deep state” during the Mueller probe.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
JWeinCom said:

I do not really mind him making bail. 

I mean PERSONALLY I'd probably rather see him locked up... but generally I believe that bail should only be imposed if someone poses a risk to society in general. If he's not in the position of a cop in situations like that, I don't really see the risk of him causing any harm if he goes free (I'm not intimately familiar with his story) so, if they determined a million is enough to make sure he stays for trial... I'm ok with that assuming the assessment was fairly made.

Are you guys getting your cases confused?  The Breonna Taylor cop who got charged is the one we know didn't kill her.  He was only charged with endangerment or something like that.

I assumed that explosion felt the cops were all collectively responsible for killing her. The distinction wasn't really relevant to me in the context of bail.

JWeinCom said:
SanAndreasX said:

Here is a surprise. Instead of condemning the right wing terrorists he:

- attacks the victim

- rails against leftist extremists

- takes credit for the arrest

- condemns anti-pandemic measures

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:
"Biden and democrats refuse to condemn..." - "I defend all Americans."

Didn't take long until he contradicted himself.

As for the dangerous plot to kidnap a governor, that's the kind of thing that right wing extremists feel encouraged to do when there is a president in office that is expected to support such actions in the name of the greater good of the country.

I think he is already past "encouraging" and is just one step away from outright instructing his followers and giving them a personal ride to the governor's house.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
JWeinCom said:

Here is a surprise. Instead of condemning the right wing terrorists he:

- attacks the victim

- rails against leftist extremists

- takes credit for the arrest

- condemns anti-pandemic measures

I said hope... didn't say expect.

Basically this is saying, 

"Now I'm not saying it's ok to kidnap her... but they kind of had a point."

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 09 October 2020

SanAndreasX said:
TallSilhouette said:

Unfortunately it’s not that difficult to create an IED. 

The FBI is often an exception to the right’s otherwise staunch support of law enforcement. Conservatives cried foul over LaVoy Finnicum, and many of them accused the FBI of being a part of the “deep state” during the Mueller probe.

Fertilizer with Diesel...
Sugar based Alcohols like Xylitol or Erythritol...

Sadly I do get trained in this stuff being a Hazmat technician.

RolStoppable said:
"Biden and democrats refuse to condemn..." - "I defend all Americans."

Didn't take long until he contradicted himself.

As for the dangerous plot to kidnap a governor, that's the kind of thing that right wing extremists feel encouraged to do when there is a president in office that is expected to support such actions in the name of the greater good of the country.

They are all for democracy and freedom until they disagree with it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--