By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well I still am. Bush being elected twice, and then Trump being elected at all, makes me think American voters just don't like smart candidates with a sense of common decency.

I don't necessarily know if I'd make that assessment of Bush. I don't think he's a stupid man, just not capable of the kind of thought needed for the president. There are many smart people who, once they come to an opinion, simply won't budge on it. I think Bill O' Reilly sort of first into this category. And you need to be mentally flexible.

As for common decency, I don't think Bush is a bad person. I think he made some terrible fucking decisions... but I don't feel like they were made purely for his own self interest, at least in his mind. Like, maybe he had a personal motivation driving him to go to Iraq and that bias led to a disastrous decision, but I don't think it was willful. I think due to his bias and inflexible thinking, he just convinced himself it was the right thing to do.

Whereas with Trump, I think he's a genuine sociopath, who does not consider anything beyond what is to his personal benefit.

That being said I fucking wish so badly that Bush would have some balls and endorse Biden. To be fair, Bush has been relatively quiet after leaving office (whether that's due to him feeling that his time is done, or simply republicans not wanted to really associate themselves with him), but there are strong indications that Bush does not support Trump, and his anti-endorsement could actually help put an end to this.

TL:DR Bush was a terrible President. Trump is a terrible human being.

WE definitely seem to agree on all points. Bush wasn't terrible in retrospect, just not great at his job. Trump is just aggressively bad in virtually every way. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't necessarily know if I'd make that assessment of Bush. I don't think he's a stupid man, just not capable of the kind of thought needed for the president. There are many smart people who, once they come to an opinion, simply won't budge on it. I think Bill O' Reilly sort of first into this category. And you need to be mentally flexible.

As for common decency, I don't think Bush is a bad person. I think he made some terrible fucking decisions... but I don't feel like they were made purely for his own self interest, at least in his mind. Like, maybe he had a personal motivation driving him to go to Iraq and that bias led to a disastrous decision, but I don't think it was willful. I think due to his bias and inflexible thinking, he just convinced himself it was the right thing to do.

Whereas with Trump, I think he's a genuine sociopath, who does not consider anything beyond what is to his personal benefit.

That being said I fucking wish so badly that Bush would have some balls and endorse Biden. To be fair, Bush has been relatively quiet after leaving office (whether that's due to him feeling that his time is done, or simply republicans not wanted to really associate themselves with him), but there are strong indications that Bush does not support Trump, and his anti-endorsement could actually help put an end to this.

WE definitely seem to agree on all points. Bush wasn't terrible in retrospect, just not great at his job. Trump is just aggressively bad in virtually every way. 

Bush also had Cheney, who helped really engineer the invasion of Iraq behind the scenes and who had his fingers in a lot of the pies involved in the Iraq war.

NightlyPoe said:

JWeinCom said:

That's just a semantic argument based on how you phrase it.

No, I simply put stated how the argument as it was applied in the ruling and in the law and said why it didn't make any sense.

Torillian's argument (and now yours) wasn't what carried the day.

If you say the right in question is to marry someone of the opposite gender... then I guess.

I didn't say that.  There's nothing that says the government has to acknowledge any marriage whatsoever.  Heck, a lot of libertarians used the gay marriage debate to make the case that government shouldn't be involved in it.

If you say the right in question is to marry a man, or to marry a woman, then the result is different. A woman has the right to marry a man. A man does not have the right to marry a man.

Instead of of focusing on the abstract, lets use a concrete example. Milena Vayntrub (Lily from AT&T) and Elijah Wood both want to marry me. They both want to engage in the same exact same action. Why should the government allow Milena to do so, and not Elijah? Two people want to do the exact same thing, but one is prohibited based purely on their sex. How is the law treating them the same? And desire doesn't explain it, because they both desire the same thing, this sexy hunk of man right here.

I explained the difference between sex and race in the first paragraph.

To begin with, sex as a matter of the 14th Amendment is a much more nuanced subject than race.  Though the Supreme Court moved to include sex as a part of the 14th Amendment, it is only subject to intermediate scrutiny (where race gets strict scrutiny), which gives a lot more leeway for government interests.  And I'll just leave off the government interests opponents of gay marriage believe as I'm sure we've all heard them.

Again, Kennedy did not use the argument you're putting forward in his opinion.  His opinion relied on treating homosexuals as a distinct class in the same vein as the immutable classes such as race and sex.

You're arguing something separate.  That sex should be put into the same category as race in the 14th Amendment (de facto ratifying the ERA).  But that would be expanding the Amendment beyond its original meaning at the time, something that arguably is already being done via precedent.

As a side note, it would also give credence to the argument that I made that the 14th Amendment could be extended to fetal rights.  A position that Originalists currently do not favor as, like sex, the original meaning of the Amendment does not favor that interpretation.

Edit: Nvm going to disengage with this. Not for anything against you, but just cause I have some stuff to do over the next few days and shouldn't get drawn into anything time consuming. I should do my actual legal work before getting into extracurricular stuff.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 08 October 2020

Runa216 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well I still am. Bush being elected twice, and then Trump being elected at all, makes me think American voters just don't like smart candidates with a sense of common decency.

In Bush's defense, I think he was just very homely and a bad speaker. I never got the impression he was stupid, just that he was rednecky and terribly when it came to public speaking. He also seemed to genuinely care about the US people even if he was going about most of it the wrong way. 

Bush was sometimes a good speaker, but not really quick on his feet. And he stumbled. And... that's ok. For me a president being a great orator is a bonus feature, not a prerequisite. But... boy... if Biden said some of the things Bush said Fox News would be pushing that senility argument like a motherfucker.

Torillian said:
Pemalite said:

This is probably the largest economic recession in decades, more so than the GFC... But nations who managed COVID successfully are seeing better growth numbers. The USA has simply dropped the ball here.

Need an actual leader who will start taking charge of the issues rather than shifting blame to everyone and everything else.

Out of curiosity do you have any studies or comparisons for the claim that countries that handled covid better (less deaths I assume as the quality we're looking at for better) have had smaller economic impacts? It's something that makes sense to me but I'd love to have somethin to point to when questions about it later. 

Ask an ye shall receive.
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy

Quote: "As well as saving lives, countries controlling the outbreak effectively may have adopted the best economic strategy too."

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

If there were justice in today's America, Trump would be locked away for life, and so would the cops who killed Breonna Taylor (how the fuck he made bail I don't comprehend).

I do not really mind him making bail. 

I mean PERSONALLY I'd probably rather see him locked up... but generally I believe that bail should only be imposed if someone poses a risk to society in general. If he's not in the position of a cop in situations like that, I don't really see the risk of him causing any harm if he goes free (I'm not intimately familiar with his story) so, if they determined a million is enough to make sure he stays for trial... I'm ok with that assuming the assessment was fairly made.

Anonymous internet polls are not real polls.

Pemalite said:
Torillian said:

Out of curiosity do you have any studies or comparisons for the claim that countries that handled covid better (less deaths I assume as the quality we're looking at for better) have had smaller economic impacts? It's something that makes sense to me but I'd love to have somethin to point to when questions about it later. 

Ask an ye shall receive.
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy

Quote: "As well as saving lives, countries controlling the outbreak effectively may have adopted the best economic strategy too."

Wouldn't read too much into this. Idk about Taiwan and South Korea, but comparing Finland and Sweden in such small timeframe isn't telling much.

Finland has yet to suffer the worst damages or previous lockdowns and winter will be catastrophic for Lapland for example. We are getting in debt at alarming rate, the next outbreak is very much here but our government is reluctant to take action anymore as they can't afford it.

It's estimated Sweden's economy will bounce back much quicker than ours. Time will tell.

JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Here and here.

It's why I dread the future. -_-

First one's actually at 50% at this point. And you have assholes like me who just vote for their candidate whether or not they even saw it. Second's only 1000 nonrandom people. So, I'm not really too concerned.

Grain of salt and all, but CNN's poll has Kamala up 59 to 38 for the debate.

Also of note, Biden now crosses 270 among their likely and leaning states alone.

Zoombael said:
TallSilhouette said:
US trade deficit hits 14 year high. The master deal maker strikes again.

A peculiar nick name for the corona virus...

A peculiar nick name for a democrat hoax...

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.