By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
JWeinCom said:
Pemalite said:

I believe we should eat whatever we choose to eat.
I am on a low-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet... And Pork will fits into my daily Macros really well.

And you are correct, they are extremely intelligence animals, probably more so than most politicians.

He must have forgotten to inject some bleach or take Hydroxychloroquine.

I don't like to see anyone suffer... But jesus christ did he make that bed...

I'm not going to enforce dietary restrictions on anyone, especially as I do eat pork.

But when you're saying that the Bible advocates for things like stoning children to death, punishing apostates, slavery, and not eating pork... One of those things is not like the other. All I'm saying.

I never asserted that one of those things are like the other.
I am pointing out the general ludicrous rubbish that is in these religious texts and how the Bible is not that too dissimilar from the Quran or Torah.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Back in its 2015(?) Shelby v. Holder decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the Voting Rights Act's preclearance requirement (in which a particular set of states with a history of racist governing must get approval from the Department of Justice or a federal court to change any election law) was unconstitutional because it treats the states unequally, thus violating the Equal Protection Clause, and because Racism Is Over!!!!! ...if I recall correctly. Predictably, those very same states proceeded to close thousands of polling places, disproportionately in minority areas, among other racist changes.

(the following is based on this article: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/ninth-circuit-arizona-voter-suppression-racist.html">https://web.archive.org/web/20200903124632/https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/ninth-circuit-arizona-voter-suppression-racist.html)

Luckily, another part of the VRA prohibits any change that has the result of disproportionately making voting more difficult or less effective for minorities, even if those implementing such change do not literally admit to being racists--what is now known as the Results Test.

A case based on the Results Test, DNC v. Hobbs, comes from Arizona, where a law mandating the disposal of ballots mistakenly cast in the wrong precinct was challenged. Minorities are twice as likely to do this as whites statewide because, for instance, election officials closed 70% of the polling places in the most populous county between the last two presidential elections, mostly in minority areas, fomenting confusion and mistakes. The 9th Circuit struck down the regulation because, even though there was no racist "smoking gun," the "societal and historical conditions" of Arizona happened to also have racist effects. Spanish-language flyers reminding people to vote, but not the English versions, gave the wrong day to vote, and the Spanish translation of a ballot measure was wrong. So yeah, racism. The 9th Circuit nixed the regulation.

In addition, a different law passed recently outlawed collecting and turning in mail-in ballots by anyone other than those casting the ballot. Minorities (such as Native Americans who live on reservations where postal service is spotty at best) use this method, whites don't. This law was struck down for the explicit racism displayed by its advocates before it passed, such as video of a Hispanic US citizen turning in collected ballots while voiceover from the head of the Maricopa County Republican Party helpfully speculated that he was "an illegal alien" and a "thug." So the 9th Circuit did not rely on the Results Test to strike down this law.

Anyway, the case is now at the Supreme Court, where John "establishing a 'right' to proportional representation for minorities [is unconstitutional]" Roberts, and other opponents of voting rights, now sit. Yup.

(Roberts' quote is from https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/supreme-court-voting-rights-act-obliteration.html">https://web.archive.org/web/20200924102351/https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/supreme-court-voting-rights-act-obliteration.html)

NightlyPoe said:
Mr_Destiny said:

Back in its 2015(?) Shelby v. Holder decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the Voting Rights Act's preclearance requirement (in which a particular set of states with a history of racist governing must get approval from the Department of Justice or a federal court to change any election law) was unconstitutional because it treats the states unequally, thus violating the Equal Protection Clause, and because Racism Is Over!!!!!

False.  Shelby v. Holder merely held that this section couldn't be applied as it was based on data that was 40 years out of date.

Yes, that's what I was referring to with "racism is over". But many of those states in short order proved the need for continued preclearance...whose implementation now requires an updated VRA. Luckily, the House passed HR 4 last year, in which:

The states and the political subdivisions within them would be subject to the preclearance for 10 years “if (1) 15 or more voting rights violations occurred in the state during the previous 25 years; or (2) 10 or more violations occurred during the previous 25 years, at least one of which was committed by the state itself. A political subdivision as a separate unit shall also be subject to preclearance for a 10-year period if three or more voting rights violations occurred there during the previous 25 years.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/473372-house-passes-bill-meant-to-restore-voting-rights-act">http://web.archive.org/web/20200828151435/https://thehill.com/homenews/house/473372-house-passes-bill-meant-to-restore-voting-rights-act

It won't pass the Senate though, since Republicans oppose this (and probably any) updated formula.

Obergefell is the SC ruling which legalized same sex marriage across the country by ruling that same sex marriage bans were unconstitutional as per the 14th Amendment. It has barely been five years, and the court has already been so thoroughly fucked that they are already considering overturning it. 

Vote!

RolStoppable said:
sundin13 said:

Obergefell is the SC ruling which legalized same sex marriage across the country by ruling that same sex marriage bans were unconstitutional as per the 14th Amendment. It has barely been five years, and the court has already been so thoroughly fucked that they are already considering overturning it. 

Vote!

1st vs. 14th amendment. There's a clear order of priority here.

It’s actually the opposite. Later amendments supersede the applicable parts of earlier clauses and amendments. 

Around the Network

From Alito's Originalist dissent in Obergefell: "the Court has held that “liberty” under the Due Process Clause should be understood to protect only those rights that are “‘deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition.’” Washington v. Glucksberg, 521 U. S. 701, 720–721 (1997). And it is beyond dispute that the right to same-sex marriage is not among those rights." Is he correct?

I don't know why I'm doing this since I'll probably be accused of misinterpreting Originalism, but...mixed-race marriage likewise was not deeply rooted in American tradition (being illegal in all but 5 states until 1888), so how could anti-miscegenation laws be struck down? There was no "right" to mixed-race marriage in the Constitution. It doesn't mention any kind of marriage. Was Loving v. Virginia (1967) incorrect? It created the "fundamental right" of marriage. The last state to remove its (unenforceable) anti-miscegenation law was Alabama in 2000. Would 33+ extra years of obviously racist law have been acceptable? What other landmark decisions are "wrong"?

Or, am I simply off base with Originalism...and if so, how?

@Jaicee

Jaicee said:
EricHiggin said:

As for modern cancel culture, the right has used it as well, but only as defense in response, and it mostly worked. The curve seems to have flattened because now it hurts the left as well as the right. Everything has a positive and negative, and it's not always direct, though recent cancelling has been.

JWeinCom said:

Even modern, I disagree. I think this has been a continuous thing. 

I think the main difference is that the left tends to be younger, and more adept in social media. So, when using that method, they're more effective. 

Saying it's just a response is kind of a bad argument in my opinion. It's basically just saying that the right's use is justified, and I'm sure the people on the left would make the exact same argument.

I don't really see how cancel culture as forcing. They have no legal authority, and no company/person has to listen to them, and they're not doing anything by force. I think everyone has the right to not give their business to any other person for whatever reason, within the limits of the law.

For example, if a local strip club employs Indian strippers, and for whatever reason I don't like Indian strippers, shouldn't I have the right to say, I won't patronize you unless you stop hiring Indian strippers? Is it wrong for me to tell all my friends to do the same? If I create a hashtag for it and tell everyone to use it, does it become a problem then?

Conversely, if I want Indian strippers at my strip clubs (which tbh I do) and the strip club doesn't have any, is it wrong to stop going unless they'll hire some (lets assume that they could easily do so)? Is it wrong to encourage my friends to join me in my demand for Indian strippers? Is it wrong to start a hashtag campaign to demand Indian strippers?

I don't think it's wrong to not support something, and I don't think it's wrong to tell your friends not to, or anyone else that will listen. At what point does it become wrong?

I'd like to respond to these parts of your respective posts.

1) When I refer to "cancel culture", I'm not talking about individual people buying or not buying this or that (let alone people, which I kind of have a more fundamental issue with...), I'm talking about people joining forces to block the release of a product (ensuring no one can acquire it) or to get people who posit ideas you disagree with (or who just belong to the "wrong" demographic) socially blacklisted such that they cannot have careers or platforms to speak at all, etc., or perhaps, at an extreme, to physically terminate their existence. I'm talking about things like organized harassment and boycott campaigns, not just individual people making free choices about what to do with their own lives. Just wanted to be clear about this distinction, as we seem to be conflating the two things to an extent. When I say "cancel culture", I'm referring to a climate of intolerance for differences between people, be those differences demographic or ideological. It's something I'm against on principle.

2) I would acknowledge that yes, it's mostly so-called liberals and progressives who participate in what we today refer to as cancel culture. There are too many obvious examples to even list here just from the last few years. However, conservatives are hardly non-participants and, frankly, this being a gaming forum after all, everyone here should know that quite well by now. I mean need I even mention #Gamergate? Or that little minor scruple (massive sarcasm implied; it was not minor) the online gaming community just had over the fact that The Last of Us Part II is allowed to exist over the summer? Or how about my personal favorite, the 2017 campaign against Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on the grounds that gunning down Nazi soldiers in a video game is suddenly anti-white and left wing now that Donald Trump was president? Would you characterize these social movements -- all of which have been directly experienced by most people here from one end or the other -- as say left wing social movements, for example? Because I'd characterize them instead as anti-feminist and white chauvinist, as applicable. The whole purpose of all these movements was to stop the development or release of certain video games and/or to punish the creators by ending either their careers or their lives. Gamergate was, in fact, alarmingly successful at achieving its aims in the short run. Lots of people -- almost all of them women -- were run out of the gaming industry and there were even examples of Steam releases getting delayed as a result of Gamergate-related harassment campaigns. I remember that movement with particular ire because it was just about the worst gaming-related experience I've ever had and some of my favorite titles (like Gone Home) were targeted. And here I'm just highlighting examples that are specifically gaming-related; there have been countless others as well in recent years that have clearly coming from a right wing perspective, like everything the One Million Moms does, for example. Or yeah, the firing of Colin Kaepernick over his political opinions and the NFL's prohibition of any show of support for Black Lives Matter by their athletes at the behest of the president and his supporters. This is NOT just all leftists or kids, it's a general cultural attitude and problem.

1. Are you against it, or are you suggesting it is something that needs to be somehow regulated?

If the former, you're as allowed to want to cancel cancel culture, however you define it, as much as they're free to cancel things they don't like. If it's the latter, I think that you're opposing free speech. 

2. You could think that (maybe you're right maybe you're wrong), but you're not in a position to really acknowledge it. We're just dealing with anecdotes here. The plural of anecdote is not data.

So let's take JK Rowling as an example. We'll avoid opening the can of worms of whether we agree with what she says, cause that's not relevant to this point at least. We'll assume for the sake of argument that I hold the position that because of her comments I don't think any company should platform her, and that you feel that she said nothing wrong. I think we both agree that she was perfectly legally entitled to say what she's said.

Is it wrong for me to refuse to buy products from any company with any ties to her?

Is it wrong for me to encourage my friends and family to do the same?

Is it wrong for me to organize a boycott of all those companies?

Is it wrong for me to spread word of that boycott on social media?

Basically, at what point does it shift from me exercising my freedom of speech in promoting my opinion, and become cancel culture? Should we regulate it at some point, and how?

Personally, I'm mostly on board with the Supreme Court's interpretation, and think it's fine until it drifts into any type of prohibited speech. Harrassment/incitement/true threats/intentional infliction of emotional distress/negligent infliction.../ conspiracy/ invasion of privacy, etc.

(Not actually how I feel btw. When this pandemic ends I'm going to go to Universal Studios, ride the new Hagrid ride, and have a butterbeer.)

Edit: I'm actually going to repost this in US Politics, and you can reply there. We've veered off course from the election.

JWeinCom said:

@Jaicee

1. Are you against it, or are you suggesting it is something that needs to be somehow regulated?

If the former, you're as allowed to want to cancel cancel culture, however you define it, as much as they're free to cancel things they don't like. If it's the latter, I think that you're opposing free speech. 

2. You could think that (maybe you're right maybe you're wrong), but you're not in a position to really acknowledge it. We're just dealing with anecdotes here. The plural of anecdote is not data.

So let's take JK Rowling as an example. We'll avoid opening the can of worms of whether we agree with what she says, cause that's not relevant to this point at least. We'll assume for the sake of argument that I hold the position that because of her comments I don't think any company should platform her, and that you feel that she said nothing wrong. I think we both agree that she was perfectly legally entitled to say what she's said.

Is it wrong for me to refuse to buy products from any company with any ties to her?

Basically, at what point does it shift from me exercising my freedom of speech in promoting my opinion, and become cancel culture? Should we regulate it at some point, and how?

Personally, I'm mostly on board with the Supreme Court's interpretation, and think it's fine until it drifts into any type of prohibited speech. Harrassment/incitement/true threats/intentional infliction of emotional distress/negligent infliction.../ conspiracy/ invasion of privacy, etc.

(Not actually how I feel btw. When this pandemic ends I'm going to go to Universal Studios, ride the new Hagrid ride, and have a butterbeer.)

Edit: I'm actually going to repost this in US Politics, and you can reply there. We've veered off course from the election.

Addressing your two items sequentially:

1. I can't follow this double-talk. I have no idea what it is you're even trying to say. It seems to me that you're just desperately trying to pull a justification for censoring other people's socio-political opinions out of your ass here with incoherent results. What I want is for people to be free to voice their opinions, and I mean safely. It's not more complicated than that.

2. Running through your queries:

"Is it wrong for me to refuse to buy products from any company with any ties to her?" Of course not, it's your personal values and choice.

"Is it wrong for me to encourage my friends and family to do the same?" It might be annoying, but it's not wrong.

"Is it wrong for me to organize a boycott of all those companies?" Yes. I believe organized boycotts have problematic implications for free speech.

"Is it wrong for me to spread word of that boycott on social media?" You shouldn't be organizing one in the first place, IMO.

Jaicee said:
JWeinCom said:

@Jaicee

Addressing your two items sequentially:

1. I can't follow this double-talk. I have no idea what it is you're even trying to say. It seems to me that you're just desperately trying to pull a justification for censoring other people's socio-political opinions out of your ass here with incoherent results. What I want is for people to be free to voice their opinions, and I mean safely. It's not more complicated than that.

2. Running through your queries:

"Is it wrong for me to refuse to buy products from any company with any ties to her?" Of course not, it's your personal values and choice.

"Is it wrong for me to encourage my friends and family to do the same?" It might be annoying, but it's not wrong.

"Is it wrong for me to organize a boycott of all those companies?" Yes. I believe organized boycotts have problematic implications for free speech.

"Is it wrong for me to spread word of that boycott on social media?" You shouldn't be organizing one in the first place, IMO.

1. I think it was pretty clear, but I'll try again.

There's a difference, I assume you agree, between saying I don't like behavior x and want to stop it, and saying behavior x should be against the law, and we should apply legal sanctions.

So, are you saying that you just think cancel culture sucks and nobody should do it, or are you saying that the government should take actions to stop it? I'm just trying to clarify your position because there may or may not be an actual disagreement.

2. So, I can tell my family not to support company x, I could tell my friends not to support company x, but when I start involving strangers it starts to become a problem?

When I start telling strangers that they should never go to Universal Studios ever again because some of their profits go to JK Rowling (we'll suppose I also made some flyers, made a facebook group, and am now devoting my life to this), should that speech be protected (assuming none of the speech is illegal in itself, for instance if it's libelous, or advocating illegality)? If not, why not?

Boycotts btw are explicitly protected by the Supreme Court. Which of course doesn't mean they should be, but that's the official opinion of the US legal system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAACP_v._Claiborne_Hardware_Co.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 06 October 2020

NightlyPoe said:

They might say the same thing, but they would be wrong.  The judiciary is a LOT more dangerous to Republicans going forward than to Democrats.  At worst, Democrats will have to face winning on the ballot more often.  Conservative judges are much less apt to be activist because their internal philosophy is not activist.  Perhaps they're not pure, but they at least have ethics.

Democrat judges have no ethics beyond result-oriented rulings.

And this is not a flaw.  Democrats often state that as what they want in a judge.  Whether it be an empathy standard, or standing up for the "little guy", or "not taking us back to" whatever decade.  Go back and watch Obama or Clinton's answer on judges during the debate.  That's the type of rhetoric you see, and no mention of actually following the law.

Also, I will skip over your assertions on the legality of the gun ownership and abortion, as I feel like that is a tangent for another post.

It is not a tangent.  It is very important.  One is in the Constitution, in the Bill of Rights at that, and the liberal wing was in lockstep in pretending it doesn't exist despite explicit inclusion.  Abortion is nowhere to be seen, but is treated as sacrosanct.  Same thing with many other hot-button issues.

That's the difference here.  Republicans now aren't allowed to vote on many of these issues.  They cannot change people's minds.  They just have to live with what a few people on a court said despite there being no justification for it.

This could also be used as evidence as to how right leaning the court actually is.  Statistically, the justices are all more likely to agree with the majority vote, and all justices cross party lines from time to time.  In the 2018 season, which just happened to be the first one that popped up, after Kavanaugh and Roberts, the next two judges were Alito and Kagan in terms of "crossing the aisle".  All the other judges were effectively tied.

Not particularly.  This may be surprising, but modern liberal social doctrine wasn't written into documents 160-240 years ago.

Statistically, the justices are all more likely to agree with the majority vote, and all justices cross party lines from time to time.

That's due to the number of unanimous decisions every session.

In the 2018 season, which just happened to be the first one that popped up, after Kavanaugh and Roberts, the next two judges were Alito and Kagan in terms of "crossing the aisle".  All the other judges were effectively tied.

So, there's one liberal judge that was a little more willing to cross the line.

But that one was Kagan, who has become the court's liberal shepherd.  The one who works the moderates into her court.

This seems a bit revisionist to me.  Supreme court justice appointments were meant to be bipartisan, but the filibuster was an option for most of US history.  Just because it was not needed, doesn't make it new.  While I don't know the exact history of its use for judicial appointments, I do know the opposition to judgeships was typically rare.  The significance of 2005 was actually that when Republicans (annoyed with Democrats blocking their judges) wanted to eliminate the filibuster, a coalition of Republican and Democratic senators banded together to prevent the Republican majority from enacting the "nuclear option".

That would be revisionist history.  As I stated, filibusters were never used to block judicial appointments.  Fortas is the only example and, as stated, that was engineered by Johnson to save face for his nominee.

The filibuster went from not being used, to being used routinely starting in 2005.  Just when Bush won re-election.  And when Republicans held a very solid 10-vote majority.

I have vague memories of the political climate back in those days, as I was a pretty clueless teenager, so I'm not gonna assert whether the actions of the Republicans or the Democrats were justified.  But I think it speaks volumes as to how are political climate has changed, that back in 2005 a bipartisan group of the senators crossed party lines to save the filibuster and ensure a semblance of bipartisanship in judicial appointments.  No one was there to save us this time.

Yes.  In 2005, a Republican group allowed Democrats to wield the filibuster thinking that Republicans would use it in the future.

When Republicans did, Democrats nuked.

It is not about Gorsuch's voting record, or whether or not he was qualified.  It's a perception thing.  I will admit I haven't hated Gorsuch as a judge.  But it's more about the population opinion writ large.

It was press you mean.  Narrative.  Democrats would have certainly done the same thing (and did), but the problem is that Republicans did it first.

No, I'm asking for bipartisan judges.  I don't want revisionists.  I don't want judicial activism.

Then you need to vote Republican.  Sorry, but that's just the truth.  There's only one party interested in judges that even try to read the law as it is and not as they wish.  Democrats long abandoned this notion and they have gotten only more demanding that judges vote their way.

Anyway, I'm going to work soon, so I'll leave the rest of your post for later.

Sorry, life got busy, but I did not forget about this post, and I feel like it's a topic worth diving into further.  I know the conversation may have drifted from the topic of supreme court justices, but I felt like the contents of this post were more suited to remain in this forum rather than a PM.

So I want to start off by stating very simply that I do not want to get into a fisticuffs about which justices are more ethical, and  which party's judges interpret the law more correctly, because that is a manner of opinion and is frankly a stupid discussion.  I've already shared my opinion.  So I am going to ignore any comments that are blatantly partisan.

The crux of issue is a disagreement in how the constitution is interpreted.  This is where I will call you out specifically.  You disagree with Democratic judges because of how you philosophically believe the text of the constitution should be interpretted under different circumstances.  In reality there are four schools of thought (well five, but the last one is a real yikes):

- textualism: literal interpretation of the text

- originalism: focuses on the intent at the time of writing, which cannot change or evolve over time

- intentionalism: focuses on the intent at the time of writing, which was written to address unforeseen political issues

- pragmatism: focuses on the consequences of legal interpretations to promote stability and public good

- natural law: higher moral law trumps the text (what people fear Amy Coney Barret is, re: religious rulings)

Often textualism and originalism are used interchangably, while intentionalism and pragmatism are often lumped together as a "living interpretation".  This is obviously an over-simplification.  I will let you speak for yourself in regards to your beliefs, but first I want to get my digs in against the various forms of interpretation of the Constitution.  This is where I am going to break my own rules for a moment.

Firstly, textualism... there isn't really much to say.  It's pretty straightforward.  What the laws says is what it means.  It's convenient, and I am sympathetic to this line of thinking.  I imagine most law makers write laws with the hope they catch every loop hole and address every relevant issue.  But a good law maker also knows they can't foresee everything.  This means that in some form a law is inevitably going to be up for interpretation.  And the person doing the interpreting will not be the ones who wrote it, even if they are still alive.  For more modern laws, this is probably the de facto best way to read law, but most of the Constitution is pretty old, so this is not a good way to interpret the Constitution, in my opinion.

The second two, originalism and intentionalism, are effectively exact opposites, even if they apply the same logic.  Originalism is that intent only matters for what that law was addressing at the time of writing and intentionalism is that the law was written to address unforeseen circumstances.  Originalism is bullarkey.  Do we really believe the Founding Fathers, or any subsequent politician, to be as dumb as to write the Constitution to only be relevant in 1776?  Amending the Constitution is INCREDIBLY political and difficult (for good reason).  They knew what they were writing needed to be future-proof in order to make the nation be a success long after they were dead.

Intentionalism is the best way, in my opinion, to interpret laws from before our time.  A good example would be Obergefell v Hodges ruling that legalized gay marriage.  The fourteenth amendment established both state and federal law must treat people equally.  Marriage is a legal matter.  Discrimination on who can get married is very clearly a violation of this statute from an intentionalist perspective, even if it was not the issue that was being addressed at the time it was written.  The rationale is that if the writer's wanted to specify that the intention was to make former slaves citizens, then that wording would have been more explicit.  Instead the wording specifically states "citizens of the United States" and "any person".

Intentionalism is not without it's own flaws though.  Interpretations can still fall into the trap of authoring law for when there really is nothing in the Constitution to base law on.  For example, the ruling can be based on an intentionalist interpretation, but the official opinion of the court can get... creative with the details.  Alternatively, one interpretation can seemingly come in conflict with another perceived right (which I will elaborate on later).

If it's not clear, I consider myself to be more of an intentionalist, with very textualist leanings (especially for more recent law).

Fourthly with pragmatism, while I find it in some cases admirable, it is ultimately dangerous.  It is essentially making up law either because Congress has failed to act (a legal bandaid) or because the law is inconvenient (a political trojan horse).  I'd consider Citizens United v FEC to be the most damaging pragmatic interpetation of the law.  But more interesting to you, I'd consider modern gun law to be another example of pragmatic interpretation of the law.

A literal interpretation of the Constitution's wording makes it very clear that it specifies that the right to bear arms only extends to the militia.  It does not state that citizens have the right to keep those arms in their homes or on their person.  But it does preserve the right of the people to organize as a militia.  But it even goes a step further to establish that the "militia" can be and should be regulated.  An originalist interpretation would not even consider individual gun rights, because the issue in question was the legality of a militia to exist to protect the freedom of the State.  An intentionalist could be convinced by a pragmatist to buy into the gun rights argument, but the phrasing "well regulated Militia" and "people" (plural) make it pretty clear the authors meant the opposite of the modern interpretation.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In fact, the interpretation of the second amendment to indicate the right for citizens to own their own arms was not a common interpretation until the mid-20th century.  The pragmatist basis is that the founders knew that one day weapons might be regulated and intended this amendment to prevent that regulation.

Last, and certainly least, natural law... I am hoping we can both agree that anyone who believe in natural law has no business being a judge.

With that being stated, I did want to touch on abortion as well, as that seems to be another major issue that you wanted me to elaborate on.

Abortion is a tricky legal subject because it gets into the legal question of "my rights vs your rights".  This is where you get away from the ideology of how to interpret the written law, and get into the gray area of what right supercedes another.  Generally, my opinion is that the party who is most harmed should win.  For example, my right to be able to buy groceries even though I'm gay supercedes a shopkeeper's religious freedom to deny me business because he does not agree with my life.  Why?  Because his discomfort does not outweigh my right to exist.  Going to another store is not a reasonable solution to my problem because that would put the burden on knowing which grocer's are not bigoted on me, and potentially denies me access to food if I lived in a place with few grocery's and no reliable transportation.  This is why I generally disagree with ANY religious freedom case that involves some religious person's comfort vs another person just existing in a secular society.

Tangent aside, the reason why this applies to Roe v Wade is because we must weigh the rights of the mother vs the child.  This is kind of the ultimate example of this scenario, and that's probably why it's the most contentious political question in the US.  The potential damages to both parties are HUGE.  A pregnancy and raising a child causes financial, emotional, mental, and physical stress on the body and can be fatal to the mother and child.  Unwanted pregnancies can doom a woman to raising a child in poverty.  On the other hand, does a mother have the right to deny the child life?  And when is the child a child and not just a part of the mother?  I think everyone agrees that the child's death is the greater harm, this is why the question becomes "when is a person their own person?".

Look, disagree all you want, but from a textualist and intentionalist perspective, what a woman does with her body is protected by the constitution, as is her right to life, liberty, and happiness.  It's the same reason state's cannot criminalize masturbation or watching porn.  That's why questions in the courts always devolve into questions of viability and whether or not the child was wanted.  If you believe that abortion is murder from the moment of conception, then... no one can tell you that you are wrong.  And likewise, you can't tell someone who doesn't think a child is a person until they can survive outside the womb is wrong either.  The law isn't equipped to answer this question.  This is where the pragmatist is needed.  When posed with a legal question that has seemingly no right answer, you pick the one that does less damage to society.  And abortion does a LOT of good.

I am fine with judges sticking to a philosophical interpretation of the Constitution as long as they are consistent.  When a judge flip-flops on Constitutional interpretation depending on how they feel politically about various issues, that is when I find a judge to be bad.  That's not to say that I think interpretting some laws textually and other laws intentionally is hypocracy.  It's about context, consistency, and honesty.  Not politics.

Anyway, ultimately the point I am trying to make is that I hear people claim that they are "originalists" or "textualists", but most of the time it's just political theater, because the lay person does not understand law.  But I'm not a lawyer either, so I am sure my views are flawed as well.  I'm just trying to do the best I can and I will vote with my conscious 9/10 times when faced with limited information.

Last edited by IvorEvilen - on 06 October 2020