Will Stadia succeed?

It will crash and burn. 35 37.23%

It will slowly but steadily grow. 32 34.04%

It will explode. 4 4.26%

I don't know yet, need to know more. 23 24.47%

Total:94

Tagging.

Around the Network

quote: "...where battle royale games could go from hundreds of players today, to thousands of players tomorrow..., and yes, no cheating, and no hacking..." - [followed by his own eye rolls, yup freeze frame it]

https://youtu.be/nUih5C5rOrA?t=2950

- - Phil Harrison, VP and GM at Google

I have to look not much further than PSNow and that even being available in multiple platforms didn't had many subscriber. And liking the best performance on my budget I prefer this doesn't succeed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This will be a long process.

Google will build the infrastructure, and in about 5 years, this thing will eat up the whole market. And they'll be the ones with the most gas going. More developers on board, more money, and games made specifically for this kind of thing.

It kind of reminds me of the PlayStation. New games are gonna come that are tailor made for this kind of thing. And then in the future, most genres will be playable in a decent fashion. Nintendo will survive, because all of their power comes from within. Microsoft will do well, because they are software and service based, and will likely develop an alternative service that does the same thing.

Sony however, is FUCKED... in my opinion. Because their feet will be tied to the hardware side of things, and this will greatly diminish their ability to do this well.

Yes, yes, Sony is doomed.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

So, why do I think this? First of all, this was a presentation clearly intended for game developers (no surprise at the Game Developers Conference). And from the perspective of a game developer there was a lot to love. This was not a presentation for gamers - I expect this will happen later. So from a gamers view some things still seem unclear.

Yes, because Google advertised the reveal and streamed it live for everyone in the world to watch because it was only for developers

Azelover said:

Google will build the infrastructure, and in about 5 years, this thing will eat up the whole market. And they'll be the ones with the most gas going. More developers on board, more money, and games made specifically for this kind of thing.

It kind of reminds me of the PlayStation. New games are gonna come that are tailor made for this kind of thing. And then in the future, most genres will be playable in a decent fashion. Nintendo will survive, because all of their power comes from within. Microsoft will do well, because they are software and service based, and will likely develop an alternative service that does the same thing.

Sony however, is FUCKED... in my opinion. Because their feet will be tied to the hardware side of things, and this will greatly diminish their ability to do this well.

You know that Sony were the first ones with the same type of streaming service, and have been doing it for years, right? Playstation Now? 

I love when people say "So innovative, the other companies are DOOMED", when the other companies have been doing the same "innovation" for a long time.

Too early anyway, we not only need fast internet speeds, we need people to be confident in their internet speed and stability. It's pretty far away. And people saying "Netflix did it" should think a bit more. You don't care about latency with Netflix as long as it's loading fast enough. For gaming, you will get bored quickly if you keep dying because of latency. 

Faelco said:
Azelover said:

You know that Sony were the first ones with the same type of streaming service, and have been doing it for years, right? Playstation Now? 

I love when people say "So innovative, the other companies are DOOMED", when the other companies have been doing the same "innovation" for a long time.

Too early anyway, we not only need fast internet speeds, we need people to be confident in their internet speed and stability. It's pretty far away. And people saying "Netflix did it" should think a bit more. You don't care about latency with Netflix as long as it's loading fast enough. For gaming, you will get bored quickly if you keep dying because of latency. 

Can't wait for those difficult platforming sections getting me killed on repeat because of the latency on the jump command :3

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Faelco said:
Azelover said:

Yep. If Netflix is slow just buffer for 5 minutes and come back to it. Problem solved. If Stadia is slow you're screwed. 

jonathanalis said:
They mentioned something about the cost?
You pay for playtime? For month/year? For free, but with ads?
How much?

There are two things that are going to kill this.  One of them, like you mention, is price.  There is no way this is free with ads, as that would just piss gamers off if they are interrupted every 5 mins for an ad.  Doubt it would even bring in enough money to cover all the games they will have to buy the license to.  So, how will it work?  My guess is a monthly fee.  But, again, how much is that going to be?  I doubt Google is going to want to take a huge hit as it enters the gaming market.  It has console farms, game licenses, and tons of bandwidth to pay for, now.  I don't expect the same $10-$20 that GamePass (xCloud may be more) and PSNow goes for.

The 2nd is the same problem MS hit at the beginning of this gen.  Being online always is a bad thing in a world with areas with poor connections, slow internet, and internet with data caps.  For those people, and there are tons of them, local rendering is a must have.  That's why I think the PS5/PS Now is going to find more success than this.  You have the option to buy the HW and only play locally.  Or you can stream to many different platforms with PS Now.  Streaming only just cuts a large portion of the population out of the potential consumer base.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 19 March 2019