By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Jade Raymond joins Google as Vice President | Rumor: Google's gaming console details leaked, possible controller design revealed via patent

A lot of buzz this year about new consoles. Obviously Microsoft and Sony are preparing for something soon. Now Google is throwing their hat in.

The thing about console gaming is that it seems to have only supported 3 home consoles at a time:
Gen 3: Nintendo, Sega, Atari
Gen 4: Nintendo, Sega, NEC
Gen 5: Nintendo, Sega, Sony
Gen 6: Nintendo, Sony, Sega/Microsoft*
Gen 7-8: Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft

There is always just 3. (*In gen 6, Sega left about the time Microsoft came in.) If Google comes in, then it is likely that someone else will have to leave. Of course this could just be Google themselves. I mean Ouya technically was a thing, but never really gained traction. Google could end up being a similar footnote in gaming history. They could also kick Microsoft out of the market. There is also a chance they kick Sony out, if the stars align against Sony (i.e. they screw up PS5 like they did PS3). Nintendo is the only one 100% safe, because they are the only one selling to handheld gamers.

Looks like the home console market is going to have some serious competition this time around.

Around the Network

This could be interesting especially if the device can pair up with Android based phones easily for a variety of things like messaging, duo, hangouts, Gmail, calendar, etc. Next gen I'll either go with two consoles or upgrade my PC and buy whatever he successor to the Switch is.

Just another initiative they´ll abandon once it´s not quickly successful?

Considering how good Dualshock 4 is considered, I'd hardly consider parallel sticks 'controversial'. Also, sounds like some fairly obvious stuff that shouldn't really be patentable.

I also hope Google doesn't venture very far into gaming beyound streaming. Then again, if Google enters the streaming market, streaming might just become more popular, and I really don't want that. These service models are really bad for my consumption. They're great value if you have a lot of time to consume whatever you're paying for, and I don't so they're absolutely horrible value.

shikamaru317 said:
Peh said:
Without good software to support it, it will fall to the side and die.

Google was reportedly looking to both build up 1st party studios and buy 1st party studios a year ago. Today's rumors also say they have possibly lined up some Sega exclusives. 

Sega exclusives

Because those sold Wii Us

Around the Network

Watch google drop support after two years, it's what they are good at. Release Sonic Adventure 3 and I'll bite though.

shikamaru317 said:
Zkuq said:
Considering how good Dualshock 4 is considered, I'd hardly consider parallel sticks 'controversial'. Also, sounds like some fairly obvious stuff that shouldn't really be patentable.

I also hope Google doesn't venture very far into gaming beyound streaming. Then again, if Google enters the streaming market, streaming might just become more popular, and I really don't want that. These service models are really bad for my consumption. They're great value if you have a lot of time to consume whatever you're paying for, and I don't so they're absolutely horrible value.

I would say that the debate between offset and parallel is the most divisive aspect of controller design. Most Nintendo and Xbox fans love offset, while most Sony fans love parallel. So yeah, parallel sticks would be pretty controversial to some. 

Well, you can say that offset sticks are more controversial, since parallel have been around since PS1 and accompanied over 400 million (and counting) PS home consoles.

Personally, I don't give a toss one way or the other, I'll pretty much play on anything.

Doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, especially as just a streaming service. I'll wait until we get more details from Google when it's announced.

Look like a quick and dirty rendering of the patent drawings, even the same angles. So probably guesswork of the controller design.

If they can have also games from google play store on it they may have already a big lineup.