By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Jade Raymond joins Google as Vice President | Rumor: Google's gaming console details leaked, possible controller design revealed via patent

BraLoD said:
shikamaru317 said:

I would say that the debate between offset and parallel is the most divisive aspect of controller design. Most Nintendo and Xbox fans love offset, while most Sony fans love parallel. So yeah, parallel sticks would be pretty controversial to some. 

Parellel is the only way to go.

Perfect symmetry.

Exactly.  Just like our actual hands.  The truth is the offset was only done to differentiate itself from the Dual Shock, so as to not seem like a ripoff.  Fans of the Xbox just grabbed onto the design, making poor excuses to why it is superior.  Even Nintendo went back to symmetrical for the Wii and Wii U Pro controllers.  I think they only went offset this gen was to keep it the same as the handheld, something they had to do for 2-player mode with the Joy-cons.

The truth is either will work just fine.  But, anyone who is actually anti-symmetry, symmetry being what are bodies are built off of, are just showing their blatant bias for a brand/company.

@ OP

I just don't see this succeeding.  I mean, I guess they might take MS's spot for 3rd.  That will all depend on the HW and SW.  Somehow, I don't see them competing directly when it comes to power.  Mainly because they are going to want to be cautious about entering the market.  I doubt they will mass order millions of these until they are proven to be a success, which lowers discounts for bulk orders.  I also doubt they want to adopt Sony's strategy of losing money on the HW out of the gate, so will only get the HW that will have them make a small profit or at least break even.  So, I would guess the power is going to fall in between the base model and high-end model of the XB2.

AS for SW, if Google does not bring their AAA game, unlike MS did this gen, then they will find themselves in the exact same spot.  HW doesn't just sell itself, like many other consoles have proven.  You need a constant flow of high quality exclusives, as well as the vast majority of all 3rd party games.  On both HW and SW, Sony is going to be a very tough competitor to beat.  Even with the mountains of money MS has, they showed that Sony has to utterly screw themselves over for you to even have a shot.  And even then, MS came in behind them.

Around the Network

I expect this to probably fail unless they can actually get consistent developer support. Good luck with that unless your willing to throw around hundreds of millions of dollars around.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

shikamaru317 said:
barneystinson69 said:

I expect this to probably fail unless they can actually get consistent developer support. Good luck with that unless your willing to throw around hundreds of millions of dollars around.

They can afford to do that for sure, Google has huge cash reserves. Google not only wants to break into the console market this gen, they want to be the market leader when it comes to game streaming, so they are going to throw alot of money into this I have a feeling. 

I mean sony and Nintendo are already entrenched into the market (granted, I have no clue how to predict the laters success as they also flucuate and shoot themselves in the feet before striking gold). Microsoft could have some more share for the taking, but I doubt they absolutely fuck up again, so even they have a market of their own. Idk how much more the console market can grow, but I doubt it’s going to be smooth sailing for them if they decide to try to break through.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

What if the Google console is just a dock for an android phone? Would be interesting to see!

thismeintiel said:
BraLoD said:

Parellel is the only way to go.

Perfect symmetry.

Exactly.  Just like our actual hands.  The truth is the offset was only done to differentiate itself from the Dual Shock, so as to not seem like a ripoff.  Fans of the Xbox just grabbed onto the design, making poor excuses to why it is superior.  Even Nintendo went back to symmetrical for the Wii and Wii U Pro controllers.  I think they only went offset this gen was to keep it the same as the handheld, something they had to do for 2-player mode with the Joy-cons.

The truth is either will work just fine.  But, anyone who is actually anti-symmetry, symmetry being what are bodies are built off of, are just showing their blatant bias for a brand/company.

@ OP

I just don't see this succeeding.  I mean, I guess they might take MS's spot for 3rd.  That will all depend on the HW and SW.  Somehow, I don't see them competing directly when it comes to power.  Mainly because they are going to want to be cautious about entering the market.  I doubt they will mass order millions of these until they are proven to be a success, which lowers discounts for bulk orders.  I also doubt they want to adopt Sony's strategy of losing money on the HW out of the gate, so will only get the HW that will have them make a small profit or at least break even.  So, I would guess the power is going to fall in between the base model and high-end model of the XB2.

AS for SW, if Google does not bring their AAA game, unlike MS did this gen, then they will find themselves in the exact same spot.  HW doesn't just sell itself, like many other consoles have proven.  You need a constant flow of high quality exclusives, as well as the vast majority of all 3rd party games.  On both HW and SW, Sony is going to be a very tough competitor to beat.  Even with the mountains of money MS has, they showed that Sony has to utterly screw themselves over for you to even have a shot.  And even then, MS came in behind them.

Sorry but, I like my thumbs on the things we use most. A stick on the left and face buttons of the right. So offset is the way to go. The dualshock is crabclaw, so if you like that I think you're blatantly biased against humans.

Around the Network

The Ouya for the next gen.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
shikamaru317 said:

Google was reportedly looking to both build up 1st party studios and buy 1st party studios a year ago. Today's rumors also say they have possibly lined up some Sega exclusives. 

Sega exclusives

Because those sold Wii Us

Of course they did . they pushed the hardware almost to Gamecube levels and would have surpassed them all if Nintendo hadn't cut its legs off  due to them being Jealous that Sega was surpassing their own games ability to sell consoles, so they cut 30 years of prime 3 million a year sales and that's without taking into account the slow 40 year decline that could have netted another 400 k toward the total, you have only to look at my the evidence to see that Sega games are bigger than ever, look at all the Sega games it took to sell 6 million Dreamcasts and compare that to the handful that propelled WII U into the stratosphere .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pyro as Bill said:
HoloDust said:

MS is fine - Apple has only around 7% marketshare when it comes to computers 

What's your definition of computers?

7% Apple market share refers to Macs...that's where they usually hover around.

I hope that the controller isn't final. Symmetry duel sticks are terrible for modern games. Also, Google entering the console race would be interesting. I feel like it will just split the Sony-Microsoft market share more though. Nintendo is so different that they are much harder to take sales from. If Google does good enough they could split sales enough that the Switch wins Generation 9 no problem. That would be funny to see.

Anyway, I will wait until it is announced to see if they actually will join the race. Google grabbing Sega as a pseudo 1st party is excellent. They had the 2nd best 1st party support ever in the history of the industry. Also, Sega's games are very Nintendo- like and can take some sales from them.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

shikamaru317 said:
Zkuq said:
Considering how good Dualshock 4 is considered, I'd hardly consider parallel sticks 'controversial'. Also, sounds like some fairly obvious stuff that shouldn't really be patentable.

I also hope Google doesn't venture very far into gaming beyound streaming. Then again, if Google enters the streaming market, streaming might just become more popular, and I really don't want that. These service models are really bad for my consumption. They're great value if you have a lot of time to consume whatever you're paying for, and I don't so they're absolutely horrible value.

I would say that the debate between offset and parallel is the most divisive aspect of controller design. Most Nintendo and Xbox fans love offset, while most Sony fans love parallel. So yeah, parallel sticks would be pretty controversial to some. 

It's divisive for sure, but they're both very, very popular. If you can say 'controversial' about parallel sticks, you can probably say the same about asymmetric sticks. When both major options are 'controversial', I'd say the word loses much of its weight, even though it might still be technically correct.